Hi Ben?

That's the spirit, get those tools out and get stuck in, it won't do it by itself! I made a sort of resolution a couple of years ago when I started the build knowing it was such a large undertaking that I would 'devote' at least 2 hours a day (evening usually) plus what I could get away with at weekends to working on the project. I sometimes think its not moving very quickly then I go back to post 1 to realise its progressing pretty well. Thanks for your input.

Hi mike,yep its ben

Id love to work on the layout for 2 hours a day but with work & becoming a parent for the first time 4 months ago its not that easy,im always itching to crack in with it but im changing dirty nappies instead!

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your contribution. The Drawers 'were' available from 'Staples' office supplies but have now been reduced in size to a much tighter sort of A4 drawer which would still work, the wooden trays I made myself. If only some plastic's manufacturer was a model railway enthusiast he/she would have made a million by now!

Agh yes, Plastic Draws, I knew a Girl once and she,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO NO NO

hahhhahahaheee hohohohohoh

Has anyone seen the Hornby and Model Rail Mag's this month............Both have the same layout featured 'HADDON BANK' I'm pretty sure that is a No-No in publishing circles, I know when my Chestergate layout was in Model Rail I had to confirm there were no other features pending!

Someone will be twitching!

To finish the week a few pictures from during the week...

attachicon.gif2022-12-04 20.23.39.jpg

Std 5 No. 73158 heads south in charge of a fitted freight bound for Leeds, Stourton.

Hi Mike,

I'm loving the first pic of the latest batch (the others aren't bad either!) in #1788. It's the overall look of the railway 'scene' I like, with the train only a part of something much more holistic. Really looks the part :good:

Has anyone seen the Hornby and Model Rail Mag's this month............Both have the same layout featured 'HADDON BANK' I'm pretty sure that is a No-No in publishing circles, I know when my Chestergate layout was in Model Rail I had to confirm there were no other features pending!

Someone will be twitching!

Morning Mike, I agree, I have had that several times with Model Rail where with my first article I had to sign a Contract stipulating that it would not be photographed or submitted to another Magazine. Once it was published I had to ring Ben Jones and then seek permission to have it placed elsewhere.

RM, BRM Hornby and MR are all normally very hot on this, and Mike Wild, the Editor of Hornby Mag came and Photographed my Trebudoc and Glen Roy plus our Clubs Wychnor on Trent O Gauge Layout about a Month before Andy York came down to do the same.

Hornby Mag published the Wychnor article 3 Months later ready for our open weekend and so BRM held back ready for the Easter open weekend the following year.

Hornby Mag still hasn't published my Glen Roy or Trebudoc, but having spoken to Mike Wild at Gaydon he confirmed they were still in the can, and looking for a suitable window, now that BRM had done both.

Hi Mike,

I'm loving the first pic of the latest batch (the others aren't bad either!) in #1788. It's the overall look of the railway 'scene' I like, with the train only a part of something much more holistic. Really looks the part :good:

Hi Neil (I hope!) terrible with names to be honest

Wait a week or two and that side will have some more detail on hillside for you and others to enjoy. I've never bought so much grass!

• Like 3

Hi Neil (I hope!) terrible with names to be honest

Wait a week or two and that side will have some more detail on hillside for you and others to enjoy. I've never bought so much grass!

Grass :O

GRASS :O  :O 

Did someone mention

GRASS? :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  

Remarkable!  I saw the picture posted by ben pez above, and immediately I thought of this picture which I have in my collection.  Could it be that the photographer who took this photo is the person on the signal gantry in the other?  The lighting is about right, and look at the cloud formations - they're exactly the same . . . . . the date on my photo is August 25, 1966 - does someone know the date on the picture of the WD?

post-24642-0-17554500-1418754528_thumb.jpeg

Cheers,

William

• Like 10

Came across this photo today mike and though of your layout

Dirty work stained wd,just as they should be!

Notice the bloke up the signal gantry with a camera,couldnt get away with that now!

5FA3D9D9-F86E-4361-8122-5AB00DE64376-191

Hi Ben & William,

I have got a black & white shot of the WD in a book somewhere so hopefully the date will be on that. I had a blown up picture of the WD on the wall for months but its now down to be replaced soooooon  with sky just like the above, proof indeed that Dent is not always drab!

Thanks very much guy's the detail gleaned from a colour shot is fantastic and will help in my continuing quest for excellence! Sorry got carried away there.

• Like 4

Was looking through some old slides my late grandfather took in the 60s today at dent mike

Not great quality but came across these...

oldslide100-1.jpg

Inside the signal box as he was pals with the signalman

The signalman is the bloke on the far left,my grandad sat on the far right and my old man is the kid sat on the floor!

oldslide202.jpg

• Like 12

Hi Ben & William,

I have got a black & white shot of the WD in a book somewhere so hopefully the date will be on that. I had a blown up picture of the WD on the wall for months but its now down to be replaced soooooon  with sky just like the above, proof indeed that Dent is not always drab!

Thanks very much guy's the detail gleaned from a colour shot is fantastic and will help in my continuing quest for excellence! Sorry got carried away there.

Hi guy's,

Done my bit of 'Taggart' detective work and the picture I have is of 90243 taken on 5th June 66'. The angle is different so perhaps a second shot with a colour film camera? The loco looks the same one though. Its in 'Steam Over the roof of England' by Michael S. Welch. Excellent for S&C reference.

Thanks again guys, much appreciated.

• Like 4

Was looking through some old slides my late grandfather took in the 60s today at dent mike

Not great quality but came across these...

oldslide100-1.jpg

Inside the signal box as he was pals with the signalman

The signalman is the bloke on the far left,my grandad sat on the far right and my old man is the kid sat on the floor!

oldslide202.jpg

Just wonderful! Oozes nostalgia!

• RMweb Premium

Are the red insulators anything with snow precautions? The top rails all seem longer than the rest.

My guess would be that they don't have any wires attached, they're there in case the snow gets that deep - which I believe has been known - to alert any snow clearance workers. Presumably the red would show slightly better through the snow than the white would.

I believe they have similar features on the exposed main roads in the area.

The double poles could be there because the number of rails look to have doubled (at least outside the box) although it is unclear whether the number of wires have done likewise.

• Like 1

Evening Mike your really luck to be modelling Dent and the S & C as there are some great shots out there and some still being found, I wish I was doing a longer lasting line than Bitton some times as there aren't many pics from its later Steam years.

Great pics and a great layout, thanks for so much inspiration.

And Oh Yes, the Grass :no:  :no: :no:  :no:  :no:  

• RMweb Gold

Came across this photo today mike and though of your layout

Dirty work stained wd,just as they should be!

Notice the bloke up the signal gantry with a camera,couldnt get away with that now!

5FA3D9D9-F86E-4361-8122-5AB00DE64376-191

What some people will do just to make a free telephone call ... could you say he was mobile?

I seem to remember that wires on red insulators carried "power" cables, most likely low voltage, for lighting signals etc. 

Brit15

Now you have said it, I seem to recall the same thing being told to me many many years ago. If I remember correctly it was to avoid the need for cable troughs. I would imagine the cables were leading to Dent Head Box'. Just a thought.

Edited for typo!

Edited by mike61680

Morning Mike I think Andy need's help. All that grass an't good for him lol.

Mark

I think he's probably trying to get the unimportant things like track building/ laying, wiring and testing out of the way so he can get on with the MOST important thing.........grass!

Hohoho

Hi guy's

Just had two mates around and there is something 'seasonal' appearing on Dent on Friday evening, guesses welcome!

Meanwhile I've just been tidying up the new walling and doing a bit of painting to blend in around the grass, not much worth taking a picture of but I have a few projects lined up over the hol's combined with a few running sessions.

• Like 2

Hi guy's

Just had two mates around and there is something 'seasonal' appearing on Dent on Friday evening, guesses welcome!

Meanwhile I've just been tidying up the new walling and doing a bit of painting to blend in around the grass, not much worth taking a picture of but I have a few projects lined up over the hol's combined with a few running sessions.

A Santa Special would be just to obvious, :O  so I'm guessing its a Tinsel and Turkey pig out with some Mulled Wine and a stonking flaming Christmas Pud. :no:  :no:

• Like 1