Hi all and 'Andrew P' (stands for pushy) :no:

Been quite busy as I said earlier and here are a couple of my efforts...

post-5296-0-81424200-1417726782_thumb.jpg

The small porch style entrance to the station has a shallower roof angle than that of the main building and this probably helps as my construction method allows for the removal of the whole roof JUST IN CASE I decide to detail the interior.

post-5296-0-03841700-1417726793_thumb.jpg

Here the annexe has had the full roof slated with the ridge tiles which are a bit delicate to say the least!

post-5296-0-95984600-1417726802_thumb.jpg

The guttering is now all in place and still requires painting before the slates are fitted to the main roof

The other main thing I have been working on is the new North and South Fells which are placed above the spirals to give some depth to the view

post-5296-0-56809300-1417726739_thumb.jpg

D5233 + D5237 are heading north with a heavy oil train and have just emerged from the gloom of Widdale Tunnel, in the southbound direction Standard 4MT Mogul No. 76079 is making steady progress with a fitted freight to Stourton, Leeds

post-5296-0-14784600-1417726750_thumb.jpg

Slightly elevated angle to show the new walling and rock strata applied to the Fell

post-5296-0-30043700-1417726763_thumb.jpg

Lower angle for a different viewpoint again

post-5296-0-00093500-1417726771_thumb.jpg

This is the North Fell as it stands with a trial run of walling positioned for evaluation

post-5296-0-82716000-1417726820_thumb.jpg

One of my 'arty' shots!

Still a lot to do to the Fells and the scenery in general so keep looking in guys.

post-5296-0-81927500-1417726812_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Evening Mike, well worth the LONG WAIT mate, that building is coming on a treat, mind you, you could have built a REAL ONE QUICKER, hahahha

The Fell is looking brill mate and I love the walls on top, some first class modelling as usual.

Thanks again for some wonderful pics and stories to go with them.

I'll be back again tomorrow night for ANOTHER FIX, hahhaha

Cheers mate.

• Like 1

Evening Mike, well worth the LONG WAIT mate, that building is coming on a treat, mind you, you could have built a REAL ONE QUICKER, hahahha

The Fell is looking brill mate and I love the walls on top, some first class modelling as usual.

Thanks again for some wonderful pics and stories to go with them.

I'll be back again tomorrow night for ANOTHER FIX, hahhaha

Cheers mate.

Cheeky sod! on both counts  :no:

Told you months ago it was a winter project but its not been cold enough for winter so that's my excuse! hahaha

• Like 3

Evening Mike, 

Hello MIKE,

MIKE,                  hello Mike.

?????????????????????????????????????

'You say Hello' and I say 'Goodbye.... Goodbye, goodbye!' 

Something's bugging me about that reply?

Hi all,

And especially the pest that is 'Andrew P' !

Been quite busy but had a a bit of fun last night when my mate's John and Andy called round. Andy brought some more Blue period stock so we were era' hopping yet again....

Basically its a gallery of Class 37's 37425 'Pride of the Valleys' and D6607 (37403) 'Ben Cruachan' double heading an AutoBallaster set southbound. Hope you enjoy!

post-5296-0-40017200-1417895361_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-56261700-1417895370_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-09470600-1417895380_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-06028500-1417895391_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-65473900-1417895410_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-61399900-1417895418_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-62581500-1417895430_thumb.jpg

More to follow...

• Like 10

Having been more than annoyed that my THREE 4F's would not run I decided to replace at least one for now and this arrived today from Kernow Models!

post-5296-0-60388600-1417896186_thumb.jpg

Straight from the box and being run-in is 43924, about 10 circuits each way is ample on this layout.

post-5296-0-07946600-1417896197_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-66475800-1417896206_thumb.jpg

8F 48154 hauls an empty cattle train north

post-5296-0-62298700-1417896215_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-07342400-1417896229_thumb.jpg

Once run-in, ex:works 4F 43924 was summoned into immediate service rescuing a previous train which suffered a loco failure earlier in the day in which the train engine suffered a lack of steam having climbed from Appleby, the train was set-back into the refuge lay-by and the loco disgracefully headed for Hellifield MPD.

I then decided to have a sort out of the Fiddleyard which will please my mate John as his head was being screwed-up with the recent antics.

post-5296-0-61035300-1417896234_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-46844000-1417896240_thumb.jpg

See what tomorrow brings, no idea!

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 14

Well Mike, that's my weekend sorted, I can just keep popping back in here for a FIX.

Brilliant shots there matey, the Bachy 4F's are nice.

Like the 37 pics as well.

Cheers Andy,

I live about 15 miles from Hattons and they DON'T have a late crest one in - typical!

Hi Mike...

.. yes I did enjoy the 37s.... and was about to ask  how much stock you have hiding in that fiddle yard; when you mentioned a friend had been around playing trains.

I'm looking at buying new 37s so was wondering what make the pair are?

Also the cov hops behind the 4F look like a very nice wagon- the sort of thing I'd like to run on a 1980s 00 layout - if I could find a reason for them. I'll have to check how long they survived in traffic.

Alan

Mike,

Fantastic images as usual - particularly like the 4MT 2-6-0 as you will no doubt know that we had several stabled at Hurlford. I've often mentioned the contrast between the controls in the cab when compared to say, a Caley 812 0-6-0 which would have been in steam at the same time! The engineering department liked the serviceability, and the drivers were happy with them, especially the weatherproofing of the cab in winter!

The 4F would be wrong for the Scottish region as it's the RH drive Midland version although it is a superb model! Spot on for your model though?

Thanks once again for such inspirational work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Mike...

.. yes I did enjoy the 37s.... and was about to ask  how much stock you have hiding in that fiddle yard; when you mentioned a friend had been around playing trains.

I'm looking at buying new 37s so was wondering what make the pair are?

Also the cov hops behind the 4F look like a very nice wagon- the sort of thing I'd like to run on a 1980s 00 layout - if I could find a reason for them. I'll have to check how long they survived in traffic.

Alan

Hi Alan,

Stock! Well shall I say I've just taken as much OFF as is left on! I had it stacked up on the inner and outer lines of the spirals - both sides! It began to get too complicated finding a free fiddleyard road that would take the longer trains without fouling some of the entrance which resulted in two trains being sent out to accommodate one. The first week John commented 'it gets you thinking' a few weeks later it was more like 'my head hurts!'

I'm back to approximately 20 set trains to choose from as it stands.

The 37's belong to my mate Andy and both are early Bachmann models, 37425 has had some detailing done, not sure about D6607 though, both ran well considering it was the first time.

I'm sure the Cov-Hops ran into the eighties but I'm sure if you pose the question in the 'prototype questions' forum an answer will soon be given.

• Like 2

Cracking photos as always!  I can hardly wait for photos of the finished layout - it will be an epic piece of work indeed.

Cheers,

William

Hi William,

Thanks for that, but don't expect it finished soon, its a lifetime project! Still absolutely loads to do, currently doing some scenic detailing and back to it in a minute, pic's later!

• Like 3

Mike,

Fantastic images as usual - particularly like the 4MT 2-6-0 as you will no doubt know that we had several stabled at Hurlford. I've often mentioned the contrast between the controls in the cab when compared to say, a Caley 812 0-6-0 which would have been in steam at the same time! The engineering department liked the serviceability, and the drivers were happy with them, especially the weatherproofing of the cab in winter!

The 4F would be wrong for the Scottish region as it's the RH drive Midland version although it is a superb model! Spot on for your model though?

Thanks once again for such inspirational work,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Cheers mate, I never knew that about the 4F's I do know some were built at my old workplace, St.Rollox Works, before my time of course!

I bet the crews enjoyed the comfort of the Std. cabs especially when passing my Aunt's house in Saltcoats on that seafront stretch, wild in winter to say the least.

• Like 1

Hi all,

Decided it was time to do a bit of work rather than play so spent the day on two projects.

Project 1: Widdale Gill

The rock faces though pleasing needed some detailing...

post-5296-0-24252400-1417975790_thumb.jpg

The view as it was this morning

post-5296-0-83262600-1417975801_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-21477400-1417975809_thumb.jpg

A couple of shots after a bit of detailing work.

Project 2: Station building

Carried on with a few more slates

post-5296-0-08125100-1417975818_thumb.jpg

Its quite laborious so that was it for today, didn't even have time to run any trains!

• Like 16

Hi Mike

Thanks for the information.

I've been asking about the newer loco models now available and the 37s in particular. Having not done any railway modelling for several years, and then starting again in N, I've ended up having no idea who's been producing what in recent years.

I'll be after a couple of Bachmann 37s to replace my old Lima models, although I've been told they can be hard to find now.

I looked up the hoppers and yes, as you said, they ran into the 80s. I'm thinking a short rake of 5-6 would look nice on a small layout where a emphasis would be on shunting. 

Alan

• Like 1

Mike's gone AWOL again, he must be contemplating the Dent extension down the other side of his Den.

hhahahahheeee ho ho ho ho ho

AWOL! You should know - check out 'Bitton' for those who don't know Andy's excuses for being work shy! Hehehe :no:  :angel:

AWOL! You should know - check out 'Bitton' for those who don't know Andy's excuses for being work shy! Hehehe :no:  :angel:

You know I'm a very shy and reserved person, and will hardly speak to anyone, :O hahhaha

Gob sh1te I think Jason calls it, :no:  :no: hahhaha

anyway what you been up to? cant see any pictorial evidence of playing with Trains or working on the Layout, :nono:  :nono:  hhahhaha.

You know I'm a very shy and reserved person, and will hardly speak to anyone, :O hahhaha

Gob sh1te I think Jason calls it, :no:  :no: hahhaha

anyway what you been up to? cant see any pictorial evidence of playing with Trains or working on the Layout, :nono:  :nono:  hhahhaha.

Well now what have I been up to? Wish I knew!

Following my re-arrangement to the fiddleyard I have not even ran a train to be honest. I have been casting more walling and rock facing for the North Fell area over Rise Hill Tunnel which has led to a possession on the main line while being fitted.

I have also got hold of some Fjord Blue, Grey & White primer from Halfords and will soon be having a go at a bit of Da'Vinci work on the backscene, I hope it turns out right as I am no Da'Vinci I admit. Erm, does the blue bit go to the bottom or the top?

I've also partly rearranged my workshop side of the den to incorporate an old desktop computer from work and surprisingly got connected to the net with the aid of a new Network Adapter thingy-whatsit which surprised me in itself.

Not much else done as I have been busy at work with the break coming up and I especially don't want a pile of paperwork to see to when I'm off.

If I don't get much done before Xmas Day I will 'hopefully' get loads done between then an Jan 5th WHOOPIE!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

If I don't get much done before Xmas Day I will 'hopefully' get loads done between then an Jan 5th WHOOPIE!

Mike

Andy would have built two layouts in that time!

Me, I might just manage to uncover the woodturning lathe in the garage to take a few snaps to put it on ebay so that I can clear some space and start making baseboards for the new layout.

Well now what have I been up to? Wish I knew!

Following my re-arrangement to the fiddleyard I have not even ran a train to be honest. I have been casting more walling and rock facing for the North Fell area over Rise Hill Tunnel which has led to a possession on the main line while being fitted.

I have also got hold of some Fjord Blue, Grey & White primer from Halfords and will soon be having a go at a bit of Da'Vinci work on the backscene, I hope it turns out right as I am no Da'Vinci I admit. Erm, does the blue bit go to the bottom or the top?

I've also partly rearranged my workshop side of the den to incorporate an old desktop computer from work and surprisingly got connected to the net with the aid of a new Network Adapter thingy-whatsit which surprised me in itself.

Not much else done as I have been busy at work with the break coming up and I especially don't want a pile of paperwork to see to when I'm off.

Morning Mike, glad to hear you, like young Jeff are busy making walls, the main difference being that yours can be laid at a scale half a mile a day.

O.K. With the sky the darker to the top, look out at the horizon and its almost white irrespective of the weather compared to over head, so the Blue at the top, just have the white ready for a dash of cloud, but I would refrain from using that until the blue has dried, otherwise IT WILL RUN.

I'm not sure of the grey, it may work but in reality I would be using that instead of the blue, to form an overcast sky instead of a bright sunny day.

When layering the top colour, be it the Blue or the Grey, DONT do a solid spray, whisp it about from SIDE TO SIDE as though your conducting an orchestra in light movements so that you don't end up with a solid line where the colour changes. 

I have just show one of mine again as an example of what I mean about NO SOLID LINE between Blue and White.

post-9335-0-33600400-1418288673_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-19742800-1418288735_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-97979100-1418288824_thumb.jpg

I hope this helps mate, and I'm looking forward to seeing your results, remember, if you go to low with the Blue, then use the White at the lower part once dry, it may pay to do that in places anyway, I had to.

• Like 1