Mike

Andy would have built two layouts in that time!

Me, I might just manage to uncover the woodturning lathe in the garage to take a few snaps to put it on ebay so that I can clear some space and start making baseboards for the new layout.

Do it man - Do it! Let's get another topic on the go even if only to avert Andy's attention on me for little while! :no:  :no:  :angel:  :angel:

Morning Mike, glad to hear you, like young Jeff are busy making walls, the main difference being that yours can be laid at a scale half a mile a day.

O.K. With the sky the darker to the top, look out at the horizon and its almost white irrespective of the weather compared to over head, so the Blue at the top, just have the white ready for a dash of cloud, but I would refrain from using that until the blue has dried, otherwise IT WILL RUN.

I'm not sure of the grey, it may work but in reality I would be using that instead of the blue, to form an overcast sky instead of a bright sunny day.

When layering the top colour, be it the Blue or the Grey, DONT do a solid spray, whisp it about from SIDE TO SIDE as though your conducting an orchestra in light movements so that you don't end up with a solid line where the colour changes. 

I have just show one of mine again as an example of what I mean about NO SOLID LINE between Blue and White.

attachicon.gifClub fields etc 003.JPG

attachicon.gifClub fields etc 013.JPG

attachicon.gifClub fields etc 020.JPG

I hope this helps mate, and I'm looking forward to seeing your results, remember, if you go to low with the Blue, then use the White at the lower part once dry, it may pay to do that in places anyway, I had to.

Fandabbiedozzie mate and thanks for the info which I will follow to the letter (so we know who to blame). I have one problem and that is the 'conducting' bit, I am no musician as I have stated in the 'lounge' so you may be looking for a Mozart or Bach result and end up with ZeeZee Top or worse still The Pogues!

Fandabbiedozzie mate and thanks for the info which I will follow to the letter (so we know who to blame). I have one problem and that is the 'conducting' bit, I am no musician as I have stated in the 'lounge' so you may be looking for a Mozart or Bach result and end up with ZeeZee Top or worse still The Pogues!

Well it is Christmas, and with A Fairytale in New York about to be played on almost every Radio Station in the Land, apart that is from Planet Rock who don't do much of that sort of thing.

If you cant conduct, then just spray some  insect repellent under the old armpits and see how much that stings, that'll get the old arms a waving matey, hahhaha

Well it is Christmas, and with A Fairytale in New York about to be played on almost every Radio Station in the Land, apart that is from Planet Rock who don't do much of that sort of thing.

If you cant conduct, then just spray some  insect repellent under the old armpits and see how much that stings, that'll get the old arms a waving matey, hahhaha

Your'e so considerate my very good friend, I'll give it a go and let you know!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not risking it until the weekend, I do have work to go to and don't think my customers would like a lunatic Orang-utan to deal with!

I didn't know Andy was working for you! :-)

Hi guys,

Been keeping my head down for a while and busy beavering away on a couple of things...

post-5296-0-77216000-1418574329_thumb.jpg

The station building has been on the go for what seems like an awful long time and so I thought it was time to do phase erm! Whatever?

Here are the York Modelmaking slates I am using

post-5296-0-77216000-1418574329_thumb.jpg

I have completed the central section of the platform face

post-5296-0-53068400-1418574350_thumb.jpg

This shows the spacer made to fix the slates relatively equal

post-5296-0-95482300-1418574357_thumb.jpg

This shows the pencil line to follow

post-5296-0-25521200-1418574374_thumb.jpg

Here the platform elevation is completed

post-5296-0-76224400-1418574388_thumb.jpg

The Approach elevation to work on

More to follow....

post-5296-0-58209500-1418574339_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Part 2...

Just a few gallery shots of the finished slate work. i still have some trimming of the ends and around the chimney stacks to complete but enough was enough!

First the Platform elevation...

post-5296-0-78382100-1418575332_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-56557800-1418575339_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-25396200-1418575349_thumb.jpg

And then the Approach elevation

post-5296-0-63213600-1418575357_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-35552400-1418575363_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-03681700-1418575370_thumb.jpg

Hope you like!

• Like 7

In between working on roofing slates I needed a break from the tedious repetitive boring job I decided to do some scenic work on Widdale Fell...

post-5296-0-65772900-1418575557_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-93438300-1418575568_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-16225200-1418575578_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-59056200-1418575584_thumb.jpg

As it stands I still have more than half to finish! 

• Like 9

To finish the week a few pictures from during the week...

post-5296-0-37652600-1418575851_thumb.jpg

post-5296-0-30018600-1418575859_thumb.jpg

Std 5 No. 73158 heads south in charge of a fitted freight bound for Leeds, Stourton.

post-5296-0-25725700-1418575869_thumb.jpg

8F No. 48154 hauls a lengthy empty Cattle train north to Kingmoor yard for a crew change and onward to Stranraer for the 'once' lucrative Irish cattle trade imports.

post-5296-0-76805700-1418575876_thumb.jpg

Both trains cross near the station

post-5296-0-65210200-1418575882_thumb.jpg

The mixed freight heads over the viaduct and into Widdale tunnel

post-5296-0-34459700-1418575889_thumb.jpg

Ex:LMS 4F No. 43924 ex: Derby Loco' Works is on light running in duties with an unfitted goods.

post-5296-0-93027100-1418575904_thumb.jpg

The 4F follows the Std.5 into the gloom of Widdale tunnel

post-5296-0-14540100-1418575911_thumb.jpg

Poor photo of 72009 'Clan Stewart' on a stopper!

That's it for now...

• Like 14

Mike, I only asked for A Photo, Not blood* war and piece, hahhahah.

That Station Building has been worth all the effort mate, its looking superb, those Slates make all the difference between a Model and a Super Model, well done for the extra effort.

Again some lovely pics of Trains running, and I really cant wait to do the same, you have some lovely mixes of Freight, and that's always nice to see, Dirty Black Locos earning their keep.

Well done mate, and more next week I assume :O

:no:  :no: :no:  :stinker:  

• Like 2

Mike, I only asked for A Photo, Not blood* war and piece, hahhahah.

That Station Building has been worth all the effort mate, its looking superb, those Slates make all the difference between a Model and a Super Model, well done for the extra effort.

Again some lovely pics of Trains running, and I really cant wait to do the same, you have some lovely mixes of Freight, and that's always nice to see, Dirty Black Locos earning their keep.

Well done mate, and more next week I assume :O

:no:  :no: :no:  :stinker:  

Dearest Andrew,

Never assume, because it can make an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me', but in this case I presume you are right, sometime next week old buddy!

Thanks for the comments re: station building. Its a real pain doing roofing on any building as its usually quite large area's on railway related buildings, to keep my pe*ker up I just thought how lucky I was that it was not 'O' gauge!

I'm really enjoying your Bitton efforts and in all honesty I think your handbuilt track is fantastic, I should have got GeorgeT to give me a lesson before I embarked on mine! Keep it up mate and take it easy - now that's a bit of a contradiction I know but I'm sure you get the drift. :senile:

• Like 2

Mike, I forgot to ask if you've been flailing your arms around like a demented Baboon sitting on a Wasp nest and doing your sky yet?

Nope! I only have 24 hours in my day mate. I have marked out the boards for cutting on Monday so they are ready to TRY it. I will be using foamboard again, the same as the dark green frontage dressing, better than ply - no splinters!

Edited for typo!

Edited by mike61680
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just logged on for a quick catch up and am impressed with your recent progress!

I gave you a craftsmanship/clever for post 1787, as the use of smaller scale on your fell has added great depth. It's so good that I bet most viewers didn't even notice what you have skillfully achieved.

Regards Shaun  

Morning Mike,

Once again, truly inspirational workmanship, and the 'countryside' is looking very realistic indeed. Truly wish I had as much room to play in but instead Joanna is insistent on 'downsizing' next year (for obvious reasons) and so what I had planned for may yet shrink further! Still, I've always got your photos to enjoy, thanks again,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Just logged on for a quick catch up and am impressed with your recent progress!

I gave you a craftsmanship/clever for post 1787, as the use of smaller scale on your fell has added great depth. It's so good that I bet most viewers didn't even notice what you have skillfully achieved.

Regards Shaun  

Hi Shaun,

Well spotted my man!

Hi Mike,

I've been quietly following, admiring and clicking various likes and other buttons for some time but this is my first post on Dent. Many congratulations on what you've achieved so far, which is stunning.

In your excellent storage system (post 1630), please could you direct me to where you got the drawer system, and the wooden divided trays? I'm very impressed and I think a similar system would be perfect for Camden Shed.

Best wishes, many thanks and keep up the excellent work!

Iain

As always stunning work there mike,so much that it give me the inspration to do some more on my own layout yesterday afternoon!

Hi Ben?

That's the spirit, get those tools out and get stuck in, it won't do it by itself! I made a sort of resolution a couple of years ago when I started the build knowing it was such a large undertaking that I would 'devote' at least 2 hours a day (evening usually) plus what I could get away with at weekends to working on the project. I sometimes think its not moving very quickly then I go back to post 1 to realise its progressing pretty well. Thanks for your input.

Hi Mike,

I've been quietly following, admiring and clicking various likes and other buttons for some time but this is my first post on Dent. Many congratulations on what you've achieved so far, which is stunning.

In your excellent storage system (post 1630), please could you direct me to where you got the drawer system, and the wooden divided trays? I'm very impressed and I think a similar system would be perfect for Camden Shed.

Best wishes, many thanks and keep up the excellent work!

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thanks for your contribution. The Drawers 'were' available from 'Staples' office supplies but have now been reduced in size to a much tighter sort of A4 drawer which would still work, the wooden trays I made myself. If only some plastic's manufacturer was a model railway enthusiast he/she would have made a million by now!