Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Tri-ang's Gear set was an abomination in engineering terms, they used two start worms as standard, and a single start worm happened at the chosen pitch to mesh, but at the expense of the efficiency of the contact with the teeth faces.....mind you it was a useful mistake!, but the 40:1 combo wore badly in the end.

• RMweb Gold

Checked out my W14W this morning, a distinct 'Chug' especially when running slowly. Half an hour on the rollers and it actually seemed to be worse. I'm not sure where the stickyness is but in common with a lot of Dapol rolling stock I had in the past my 00 back to back gauge won't go between the wheels. Debating now whether it goes back or I try to investigate further. Pity, because it fits my location and era exactly and looks the part at layout viewing distance. 

Dapol model arrived this morning and here it is alongside my 40-year-old Anbrico white metal kit (which had a lot more work than just a few tweaks).The Dapol is smooth and quiet in operation and the much-vaunted 'lump' in the interior which really had me worried, doesn't show above the window ledge from many viewing angles. I can see a few tweaks that I would do but I love doing that anyway. I don't really enjoy a model unless I can spot one or two things I'd like to do to it. (CJL)

post-1062-0-76661000-1509623819_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Have Dapol done the same number trick as W55000?. Both numbers on W14W are at the Guard's compartment end. Checking on pictures I have found so far in 1952 both sides carrried the number to the left and in 1958 on both sides it was to the right.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer

• RMweb Gold

For those not modelling GWR lines, W14W got about a bit. It did Birmingham to Buxton via Ashbourne in 1952 on a Birmingham Locomotive Club Charter. E R Morten managed to photograph it at Topley Pike.

http://www.davidheyscollection.com/userimages/erm-topleypike2-jpg.jpg

Edit.

Not quite sure which one of the crowd in the cab was driving.

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 1

Should we start a new thread on modifying the interior?

(Mine has come, but can't have it until Christmas)

I would agree, this one has already veered off into building a new chassis, adding different motors plus what to do with the interior.

If you look at all these without looking at the model you might wonder why anyone would want to buy one at all, it sounds like a duck when it isn't it's a swan.

• Like 2

Absolutely nobody here has said the model is bad or even a “duck”.

Some have simply expressed an opioin as to how they would like to add to the detail and how that could be acheaved.

Dapol have made a good model and a resonable price, well Done Dapol.

Mine arrived today although I have not had time to inspect it that much. One thing I think would inprove it would be a misting of flilth over the roof to make it more matt and increasing the shine on the sides, something I think makes coaches look better.

Conversion I think to EM or P4 may involve a new bogie frames as these as supplied are quite close to the wheels. Also as my previous post some curtains, and the painting of the interior seating with matt colours. 

Have Dapol done the same number trick as W55000?. Both numbers on W14W are at the Guard's compartment end. Checking on pictures I have found so far in 1952 both sides carrried the number to the left and in 1958 on both sides it was to the right.

Looks like they might have done. To be fair, without checking the dates carefully, this is easily done as W14W looked superficially the same throughout its BR career. At least you cannot see both sides at the same so one side is suitable for the early 50s and the other side is suitable for the late 50s.

Maybe Dapol have done as favour in giving us 2 versions for the price of one. :jester:

Here is another shot from 1952 with the number on the left (where the GWR used to put them).

w14.jpg

And here is a slightly later shot ffrom the same side with the number now on the right (BR position).

6032776503_40a8a23f76_b.jpg

Edited by Karhedron
  • Like 9

W14 was a regular in Snow Hill (as was W34) working the Dudley - Birmingham service, during the late 50s/early 60's. Last time I saw it the interior had been stripped out, and was being used as a parcels car.

• RMweb Premium

I would agree, this one has already veered off into building a new chassis, adding different motors plus what to do with the interior.

Sounds more like scratchbuilding! :scratchhead:

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

W14 was a regular in Snow Hill (as was W34) working the Dudley - Birmingham service, during the late 50s/early 60's. Last time I saw it the interior had been stripped out, and was being used as a parcels car.

Oooh! Now we can remove those crude seats and hide the hump under a pile of parcels!

Not only No.11 but No.11 with no horns.

So Dapol got it right but think they had it wrong.

Look a little closer at the side of each window at the front, there are two visible horns, one each side level with the bottom of the windows. Whether these were always there is debatable, but it is in GWR livery,so not a BR addition. I'll add some brass turned horns in the same positions for my No11.

Stephen

• RMweb Premium

The Dudley service was interesting as the railcar had to reverse at Dudley on arrival or departure as it used the GWR side of the station which didn't link to the South Staffs line, which was the only way to Brum.

The train would pull forward (south) towards Dudley Tunnel, then come back through the LNWR side of the station and off towards Great Bridge where it would access the GWR again.

Keith

Carefully going over the lot and a running in session on rollers of an hour each way, no issues at all have turned up. I have fitted a second flywheel to the motor, and it has a very advantageous effect, now able to coast over a foot from modest scale speed to a smooth stop. It delays the build up as well,giving a smooth climb to running pace, where it helps with a steady pace.

At scale pace it can run over a dead point, let alone a dead frog. I may add a bigger flywheel, but will need a support off motor bearing to take the weight, and stop the risk of wear to the bearings on the motor.

The general finish is first class, the windows fit is exceptional. Impressively heavy chassis, and the lighting is very good. Even a decent strong storage box.

BUT......the interior needs attention, no detail in cab and the seats and main floor should never have been issued like this. The bulge is forgivable on No11 as the loo blocks the view somewhat.

Well done by Dapol, more railcars as a series, please.

The Dudley service was interesting as the railcar had to reverse at Dudley on arrival or departure as it used the GWR side of the station which didn't link to the South Staffs line, which was the only way to Brum.

The train would pull forward (south) towards Dudley Tunnel, then come back through the LNWR side of the station and off towards Great Bridge where it would access the GWR again.

Keith

Why would a fine piece of GW machinery want to go to Brum?.....spoken in jest from someone who has lived in Dudley for all but about a year of his life.....