Dapol Streamlined Railcar

Richard Mawer

Does these genuinely come with lights factory fitted?

If so, does anyone fancy taking some pics in the twilight?

Cheers,

CoY

Mine did and it was a surprise to me as well because I hadn't bothered to look at the spec as I just wanted the model.

• Like 1

I like this photo too:

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrt2424.htm

The ‘buffers’ look shiny/bare steel, not painted. No horns.

That's one of the older ones but I am thinking, do I really need the horns, I really like the fully streamlined one - Rails image is the same with no horns so it does look like a mistake and probably if I wait one day Dapol might have some spares.

If i'll accept Gate stock with a dodgy bottom then what's a missing horn or two, it actually doesn't detract from the model and I have grainy evidence it didn't always have them.

• Like 2

In case anyone is interested in what the inside of the cab of the prototype looks like here is a photo.

Sorry I don't know who took the photo or have any further information about it.

Is there any representation of the cab interior details on the model ?

post-7410-0-69151800-1509400307_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Hattons have just rung me back and told me that non of the No11's have horns. They think the model should not come with them, but Dapol told me they should?

I personally will not be sending the model back as instructed by Dapol, I will be buying the brass horns from Markits and fitting them in accordance to the pictures on the net. The Dapol ones seem to big, plastic, not enough and in the wrong place anyway.

From very brief research it appears that lamp irons and access steps were fitted from 1938 after failure of the lights on one car. The additional, very prominent horns were fitted from 1939 after track gangs 'complained of the cars' stealthy approach'. The new horns could apparently be heard from 3 miles! (CJL)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The lack of cab detail in disappointing.

For £126 it would be nice to see drivers controls and some paint or print on the seating.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of 1970's Triang all over injection moulded brown, seems a little lacking in 2017?

I don't know what others think, but if we are now in an age of 'paying through the nose', I'd pay even more for more attention to detail. Not more detail, but at the attention to the detail added. for example, I'd pay £50+ for a nicely painted or printed interior. This Railcar is all about the inside as much as anything! Lighting is all well and good, but why would you want to light up a mass of brown plastic? I guess I'm going to have to do some modelling and painting, but for the cost of this model, should I have to be? And whats with the huge brown bulge for the motor! Why not fit a smaller motor, this Railcar only needs to pull it's self, there's no need to destroy the seating with a massive motor bulge, I think I'll be fitting a smaller motor at some point and losing the bulge!

Only my personal thoughts, I'm sure I'm wrong and will be pulled apart for having an opinion!

Edited by swiftbeam

• RMweb Gold

I don’t think you are wrong. While we all understand that some ingenuity is needed to disguise a motor and drivetrain, this does look a bit basic by 2017 standards at this price. And some printing/painting to represent moquette would seem a minimum. Not a powered vehicle, but the Dublo restaurant car I was given in the ‘50s made much more of an attempt at an interior than this.

As one who has a weakness for railcars, my enthusiasm for this one is waning fast.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm whether I have correctly understood this thread, regarding the use of head and tail lights on these railcars in BR days?

The built in lights were by then used only as headlights, and an oil tail lamp would always have been used, as photos seem to show?

Just trying to get organised while my W14W is in the post. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• RMweb Gold

Can anyone confirm whether I have correctly understood this thread, regarding the use of head and tail lights on these railcars in BR days?

The built in lights were by then used only as headlights, and an oil tail lamp would always have been used, as photos seem to show?

Just trying to get organised while my W14W is in the post. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I think you have it right. Even Southern electric stock, equipped with batteries, was required to carry an oil tail lamp until 1963.

For £126 it would be nice to see drivers controls and some paint or print on the seating.

I'm not sure I'm a fan of 1970's Triang all over injection moulded brown, seems a little lacking in 2017?

I don't know what others think, but if we are now in an age of 'paying through the nose', I'd pay even more for more attention to detail. Not more detail, but at the attention to the detail added. for example, I'd pay £50+ for a nicely painted or printed interior. This Railcar is all about the inside as much as anything! Lighting is all well and good, but why would you want to light up a mass of brown plastic? I guess I'm going to have to do some modelling and painting, but for the cost of this model, should I have to be? And whats with the huge brown bulge for the motor! Why not fit a smaller motor, this Railcar only needs to pull it's self, there's no need to destroy the seating with a massive motor bulge, I think I'll be fitting a smaller motor at some point and losing the bulge!

Only my personal thoughts, I'm sure I'm wrong and will be pulled apart for having an opinion!

Looking at pictures of the model I can see your point. The windows are so large that the interior is really visible, which draws attention to the lack of detail.

I wouldn't want to get drawn into whether you should expect that level of detail for the price asked.  Striking the right balance between detail and price seems to be one of the most hotly debated topics in the world of railway modelling.

I agree about the interior but then I had always planned to improve it anyway, what surprised me was how bland it was.

Surely with todays technology something with a bit more detail could have been produced, personally, I would quite happily have foregone the internal lighting for a better level of detail. The lighting in way only highlights the issue further

Here is a picture I didn't use before which shows how big the windows are so even the passengers/crew will have to be detailed

post-8925-0-00004300-1509436136_thumb.jpg

As I said before, externally it's a lovely model and will be rumbling around my layout for years.

• Like 14

Those who are familiar with the costs of railcars that are already available, and the level of detail on them would be best able to judge cost/value argument!
Personally I would have hoped the detail would have been better, but then again, we all want the most for the least!

Khris

Guest chris.trebble

Those who are familiar with the costs of railcars that are already available, and the level of detail on them would be best able to judge cost/value argument!

Personally I would have hoped the detail would have been better, but then again, we all want the most for the least! 

Shame about the interior detail - matches my bank account in being somewhat sparse! Was still inclined to go ahead and order one but have just received notification that my pre-ordered Wainwright H class is on its way and with other pre-orders scheduled for delivery in the next few months (including the long awaited Kernow D601), I guess the railcar will just have to join the 'might be nice to have' rather than 'must have' list. Many thanks to all the contributors who have so selflessly shared their experiences and observations with this model.

Having looked at the interior, there are two lumps, one covers the motor, one covers the UJ over the driving bogie. The UJ bulge is behind the doors, so almost irrelevant.

The motor could have been smaller and hidden within the chassis. The interior could have been a basic plate in one colour, and the seats and bulkheads could have been cast as separate parts. These parts could then have been printed and fitted. This would have give the interior a VERY 3D look and lift the model way above the rest for very little extra work. Those not involved with manufacturing will say this would bring problems etc etc, but trust me, it could have been done easily!

If you look at the Hornby Merchant navy, GWR 28xx etc, they have a VAST number of parts hidden and fitted everywhere. All these parts needed designing, tooling, casting, painting and fitting. The Dapol Railcar does not have anywhere near the number of parts the above models listed have, not to mention they are steam locos with a more complicated drive system with way more parts! These models sell for roughly the same price as the Railcar.

As for cost, yes it would add a manufacturing cost, but it would have added VALUE notoriety! It would also be a huge selling point. I for one would have paid extra for such a model with this extra level of detail. Not even having driving controls is very odd considering the company has gone to great lengths in other models they make.

I believe they could have retailed this Railcar for £160+ if the inside was as good as the outside.

Please don't misunderstand me, this IS a nice model, it is painted and printed well, but it could have been so much more, and they could have charged more. This is a stand alone vehicle, it does not need to pull anything, it is for the most part a one off purchase. I believe people would pay a little bit more for a killer one off model.

Edited by swiftbeam
  • Like 1