westerhamstation

• RMweb Gold

Hi Adrian,

I did have a look at modelling Ewer Street a few months ago. Most of what I found with contributions from RMwebbers is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/107286-ewer-street-depot-pictures-and-information-sought/

There seems to be a scarcity of information so I haven't pursued it any further as yet.

Ray.

Hi Ray, having spend to much time on the internet when I should be be doing other things, looking for information preferably pictures of the large goods shed, I had come to the same conclusion as you, however due to the kindness of a fellow Rmwebber who sent me an article by, Bazzing Around which has some illustrations and an article about Ewer Street and the Grand Vitesse, this has given me some idea of what I need to do  to progress. thank you for your link I will go through that later. All the best Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Can I make a plea on behalf of 'Thorburn & Baines Broadwell Envelope Factory''?

It was on the opposite side of the Charing cross railway from ewer street depot, with its name emblazoned down the side, and when I was a small boy it was my "we've nearly got to the really exciting bit (Waterloo SW)" signal on any journey to visit my grandparents.

I'm not sure whether it is still there.

K

Hi Nearholmer, I just wish that I could model all the buildings along that stretch, Metal Box will be one, Monk and Glass may be another, the problem being is that it is very hard to find any pictures of the old factories as they were in the fifties, the few that still remain have been gentrified beyond recognition, the jam factory being one of them. In the fiftities when the world was still black and white, it was like flying, travelling along the line looking down on the street scenes and into peoples gardens and windows from the lofty heights of the line.

I still think the finest view of London, was when the train used to stop on hungerford bridge, and you were high above the river looking at all the old historic buildings. the ships and barges, and the site of the Festival of Britain, especially when I was about 8 years old.

All the best Adrian. 

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 2

Indeed.

I have a snapshot memory of the view of a steam loco at the head of a train, viewed from the rear carriage, as the train curved across the river into, presumably, Cannon Street.

What I can't work out is how come it was a steam loco, because we usually used to travel from Tunbridge Wells, and the service was, I think, fully dieselised by the dates that might apply!

Kevin

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Chris, many thanks for posting that YouTube link of the Westerham Valley Railway. I have never seen this before, and it's the best and clearest one, also the most informative, showing the inside of the signal box and it's operation. Some great moustaches and smoking going on as well. Thank you for that, all the best Adrian.

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

That's a great video Chris.

It's funny, whilst watching it, I kept recognising bits of the landscape and I couldn't think why, and then realised I'd seen them on Adrian's layout.

It's a testament to your modelling mate, that it's immediately recognisable.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a great video Chris.

It's funny, whilst watching it, I kept recognising bits of the landscape and I couldn't think why, and then realised I'd seen them on Adrian's layout.

It's a testament to your modelling mate, that it's immediately recognisable.

Al.

I look at RMEMag  which is a free online mag written by its readers but one regular contributor puts up a 'Tea Break' video, a video off YouTube to watch while you are drinking your tea.  This week I looked at the one from a couple of weeks ago and I think it was from that there was a recommendation of this one.  I really thought that it was probably already on here and I had forgotten but I thought it was so good I would sooner look silly than for people to miss it.  I think it could not have been on YouTube long as I am fairly sure I would have stumbled across it.  There are also other Southern Region videos from about the same time. 

I too was recognising the scenes from Adrian's layout.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An excellent video that I had certainly never seen before.

The two car push-pull set No.482 which "confused passengers because the doors opened inwards" was one of two converted from ex-SE&CR railmotors; these are available in O gauge from Electrifying Trains (with which I have a connection) but to my knowledge have never been available in OO gauge.

I am hoping that it is OK to ask this here, but if anyone has an interest in an OO kit being made available, then Mike Radford (who drew the O gauge etches) of Marc Models (with which I have no connection other than as a customer) would be interested to hear from you. I am happy to pass on any expressions of interest, not least because I'd like the model myself!!

Tony

• Like 1

Westerham Station used to have a station dog, that had it's nose into everything. So in the interests of historical accuracy I had to have one for my model of Westerham. 

His name is Jeep and he is a Border Terror (terrier), at the moment he is not much help with the modelling, but is very good at biting my feet and ankles :help:

When his course of vaccinations are complete, and he lets me get out of the room without pining me to the wall, I will be able to start back on what might be a version of Ewer Street and the Grand Vittesse.  All the best Adrian.

Would that be a DC dog, or a DCC one?

J

• RMweb Gold

There should definitely be an "Awww isn't he cute" button on this forum,,,

He looks great, I wish you many happy years of companionship and chewed slippers...

Al.

P.S. As a staunch Land Rover fan, I must take umbrage at his name though :)

There should definitely be an "Awww isn't he cute" button on this forum,,,

He looks great, I wish you many happy years of companionship and chewed slippers...

Al.

P.S. As a staunch Land Rover fan, I must take umbrage at his name though :)

Agree about the Landrover  ....   :nono:

You need to start a list

1.  3 x Tea Towels [Only count if they are hung INSIDE a cupboard.]

2.  2 yard corner of Dining Room carpet [Any room will do.]

3.  1 x complete hand towel. [1/2 Batroom towel will count.]

4.  2 x Speciality Dog Resistant Beds. [Only counts if they are claiming to be chew resistant.]

5.  1 x complete Koala Eucaliptus tree. [Removed because he ate the poisonous leaves and pulled branches down.]

5.  Complete Willow tree, trunk included, leaving 4" stump. [Oh yes he did!]

6.  Nappy. [DON'T ask.]

7. Countless socks. [Only counts if you can't actually count the number.]

8. Grass and cooking herbs.  [Only counts if includes the hardy ones.]

9. Pencil Erazers.  [Again, if you can count them, it doesn't.]

10. Rug [Woven] - 8 x 3 ft. [size matters.  ...  :sungum: :sungum: ]

11. Hair Bands. [Not important if child of female variety not currently resident in Houshold.]

12. 2 x Everlasting dog chew toys. [They have to be labelled "Everlasting".]

13 Wooden frame to prevent protective floor covering being eaten. [4" x 3/4" plank. - Not me, the wood frame!]

14. Tube of Pritt Stick. [Consequences not relevant here.]

15 Two snapped dog leads and a collar. [All in good condition and relatively new.]

We won't count the Breeze Block breakfast bar wall, as that was a Pyranean Mountain Dog, in a class all of it's own!  All the above 1 - 15 are the childish exhuberances of one small friendly, Cocker Spaniel.  There were more, but I can't bring them to mind at the moment.

I'm sure you will have got complete control of the young pup there    ...........   if not, try DC and DCC if that doesn't provide sufficient fine control.

Congratulations, enjoy the little bundle of fun, he looks a delight and properly lively.

J

Edited by jcredfer

• RMweb Gold

Thank you all for your likes on Jeep the station dog, the name Jeep was chosen because I didn't want to stand outside calling Series 3 Landrover Lightweight come back here,

or good/bad dog Series 3 Landrover Lightweight. also when he goes to the vets, and they call the name of your dog out and add your surname to the end of it.

Thanks Julian for the list, he has already started trying to complete it and eat it. All the best Adrian.

• RMweb Gold

the name Jeep was chosen because I didn't want to stand outside calling Series 3 Landrover Lightweight come back here,

I see your point, however, when you stand on the doorstep shouting Jeep!, Jeep!, don't blame me if you get bombarded by budgerigars and canaries...

Al.

Thank you all for your likes on Jeep the station dog, the name Jeep was chosen because I didn't want to stand outside calling Series 3 Landrover Lightweight come back here,

or good/bad dog Series 3 Landrover Lightweight. also when he goes to the vets, and they call the name of your dog out and add your surname to the end of it.

Thanks Julian for the list, he has already started trying to complete it and eat it. All the best Adrian.

We had a friend with this same issue his dog was called snowy and his surname wood.

Regards Mark

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all, it seems ages since I did any posting on the new project Ewer street and the Grand Vitesse, but I have been busy with the station dog who is now fully trained and does exactly what he wants.

Peco code 75 track and points have been purchased, and the baseboard almost built. It has been very hard to compress the site of the depot into the limited space available whilst still retaining the feel of the original. It is not my intention to try and replicate the original, just a feel of the fifties and some of the area. Pictures of the depot are few and far between, the ones that I have found are posted here.

I can't work out what the sides of the depot were made of, or if they went all the way to the roof. A small signal box was situated at the end of the depot, does any one know of what type of construction. The mainline that will be modelled is the two tracks that go to Blackfriars, and will be on the rising viaduct on the right which goes behind the depot and will be outside third rail. And that for the moment is progress so far. All the best Adrian   

post-17489-0-98224800-1471617380_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-84354900-1471617386_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-68921500-1471617393_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-17252300-1471617404_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-18376500-1471617434.jpg

post-17489-0-82865500-1471617518_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-45168300-1471617527.jpg

post-17489-0-46371500-1471617548_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-47543600-1471617564.jpg

post-17489-0-08886000-1471617572_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-70819500-1471617576.jpg

post-17489-0-39054800-1471617591.jpg

post-17489-0-87288800-1471617612_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I thought for a minute you'd posted photos of the completed layout, but no, a little way to go, yet :)

It does look like it's going to be a helluva model though, and a massive departure from sleepy Westerham.

I liked you description of the station dog, it reminded me of The Harvard Law of Biomedical research:

"Under the most rigorously controlled conditions
of pressure, temperature, volume, humidity, and other variables,
the test organism will do as it damn well pleases."

Al.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, thank you very much for the pictures, they are the best I have seen and give me a lot of the detail which I need for the construction of the freight depot.

It's something that is very good about members of rmweb, is the willingness to share information and advice.  All the best Adrian.  

• Like 1

Hi Dave, thank you very much for the pictures, they are the best I have seen and give me a lot of the detail which I need for the construction of the freight depot.

It's something that is very good about members of rmweb, is the willingness to share information and advice.  All the best Adrian.

Got a few more if you'd like.

Dave

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave, these pictures are so useful, and what a great record of what has now vanished for ever. Digital cameras should now enable us to record all the things that we think will be there for ever, but in a blink of an eye are suddenly gone, and we only have what's in our minds eye as to what they were like. Thank you for sharing your images with us. All the best Adrian.

• Like 1