Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

• RMweb Gold

Some thoughts about building Dunton Green station. Space is the issue and I'am wondering whether it's worth the effort involved to build something that will essentially be a diorama with little hope of joining it up to Westerham and Brasted. This is an on going problem with Chevening Halt as well. If I do build it. I will have to be built it in sections on lightweight boards, each board will be 4ft x 2ft my initial thought was to use honeycomb cardboard approx 1" thick but I can only find it in bulk, so it maybe eggbox construction using plywood. A suggestion by Roundhouse (Ian) to only model part of the station has led me thus far to this idea. Please any other suggestions or ideas would be most welcome as I am fast running out of modelling mojo over this. All the best Adrian.

post-17489-0-41123700-1452708619_thumb.jpg

post-17489-0-85820100-1452708636.jpg

post-17489-0-18520500-1452708643.jpg

post-17489-0-86627100-1452708650.png

post-17489-0-89724000-1452708663.png

post-17489-0-71915400-1452708837_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

I have tried another method [one of the only successful things I ever managed]  ...  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/75123-light-sandwich-kadees/

Some thoughts about building Dunton Green station. Space is the issue and I'am wondering whether it's worth the effort involved to build something that will essentially be a diorama with little hope of joining it up to Westerham and Brasted. This is an on going problem with Chevening Halt as well. If I do build it. I will have to be built it in sections on lightweight boards, each board will be 4ft x 2ft my initial thought was to use honeycomb cardboard approx 1" thick but I can only find it in bulk, so it maybe eggbox construction using plywood. A suggestion by Roundhouse (Ian) to only model part of the station has led me thus far to this idea. Please any other suggestions or ideas would be most welcome as I am fast running out of modelling mojo over this. All the best Adrian.

The structure is much stronger than most and very light indeed.  I stood in the middle of one Baseboard which was 3ft 6" long by 2ft 6" wide, supported only by the far ends, and the deflection was a mere 1mm.  I thought of trying the Sandwich above, but thought the track might not fare well with my weight.

Regards

Julian

Edited by jcredfer
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Questions: 

Can you shorten the station so what you model is a representation not a full size model?

Can you build it on more than one board so when it is put up you could also have a fiddleyard one, end and either a fiddleyard at the other, or Chevening, and maybe fiddle yard at the other?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Are you familiar with Jas Millham's "Yaxbury Branch", featured regularly in Model Railway Journal?

Its a "whole branch" layout, and his junction station features a separate curved platform in a similar way to Dunton Green. He has managed to lose the end of the line and the actual junction pointwork under overbridges and only a short section of the mainline is visible.

The most recent article on the junction (Bishops Yaxford) was in MRJ No.220, a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Dave.

• Like 1

The problem with your plan of Dunton Green is that the only thing you can do is run round trains! If you can incorporate the 3 sidings, you will be able to do some shunting as well. If I remember correctly, Bishops Yaxford has a couple of sidings which are used to to interchange wagons between the main line and the branch. There is also an off stage section (i.e. a fiddle yard!) for bringing such wagons onto the branch from the main line and taking 'em off again, usually with a J20 which is too heavy to go onto the branch itself.

Clearly, you don't have enough space at the moment to do this and I assume extending your garage is out of the question, so I would suggest a bit of lateral thinking. How portable is Brasted? If it is, could it be dismantled and stored under the layout? A mirror image of Dunton Green could be built in its place, which would enable through services (goods only if you stick to the prototype) to be run through to the terminus. I am not suggesting ditching Brasted (its too beautiful a model), but you could swop it with Dunton Green from time to time to change the operating pattern of the whole layout and make it more interesting.

Incidentally, Jas Millham showed slides of the latest version of the Yaxbury branch a while back at the MRC and the modelling is absolutely superb - it equals Pendon standards to my mind.

David C

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi, and thank you all for your input and thoughts on Dunton Green, these have been most useful, I am still having doubts about starting it, but I have got some positive ideas that might work if I do decide to go ahead with the build, these ideas I will share with you next week, for your thoughts and suggestions.

All the best Adrian.

PS: Brasted and Westerham Stations are immovable even with explosive, any extensions to Westerham Towers and grounds have been ruled out by Mrs W.Station. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

PS: Brasted and Westerham Stations are immovable even with explosive, any extensions to Westerham Towers and grounds have been ruled out by Mrs W.Station. 

When Jas Millham retired Yaxbury from the exhibition circuit and installed it permanently in his loft, he doubled the mileage by making it a double-deck layout.

So, if Brasted is immovable.....

• Like 2

Are you familiar with Jas Millham's "Yaxbury Branch", featured regularly in Model Railway Journal?

Its a "whole branch" layout, and his junction station features a separate curved platform in a similar way to Dunton Green. He has managed to lose the end of the line and the actual junction pointwork under overbridges and only a short section of the mainline is visible.

The most recent article on the junction (Bishops Yaxford) was in MRJ No.220, a couple of years ago.

Cheers,

Dave.

Link to the Yaxbury branch here (hopefully - doing this on a mobile). Al http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery5.htm

Edited by FiveandNine
  • Like 1

What's not very clear from the photo and the plans here (MRJ does it much clearer) is the way Jaz handles the junction. Behind the J15 at Bishop's Yaxford, you can just about see where the double track main line (all twelve inches of it, including the ends of two platforms) runs between the two bridges, pretty much in the way it appears in your condensed Dunton Green. I know space is an issue for you but, given the quality of your other work, I'd love to see this done. All the best, Al

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Forgive me for two things. First for being late to the party (again) and for my bad memory if I've missed something.

If you have space above Westerham you could always build a double deck layout. Move Chevening above Brasted and build Dutton green above Westerham. The extra space acquired by moving Chevening could be used to construct a simple light weight elevator connecting the two levels. Not as hard as it sounds, use bike chains connected together for the longer length required. Then 4 long screw threads in the corners passing through 4 bolts fixed to the elevator. Wind the chains trough a handle and worm to raise and lower. It could even have more than one deck thus creating a fiddle yard.

A bit of imagination would be required because the trains would be reversing on one half of the layout but the operating potential would be huge!

Or a helix in place of Chevening fastened to the ceiling on a pulley system.

Take Mrs. Westerham on a nice surprise holiday and grovel harder!!

Build a shed on the back of the garage!!!

Move to a bigger house!!!!

Do a Larry relay it all in N gauge. Just clutching at straws now aren't I.

Anyway I do hope you can come up with a solution because we do so enjoy looking at your models.

Regards Shaun.

Edited by Sasquatch
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Don't know if you have seen but the Disused Stations web site has up dated all the stations on the Westerham branch.

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/index.shtml

Keith HC

Hi Keith, thanks for posting the link to Disused Stations. It's only come out in the last few days, I did post some details of it on the Southern section of RMweb but overlooked putting it on my own thread :senile:  

• Nick Catford has launched a new website devoted to the history of the Westerham Valley Railway. He is well known for his website on Disused Stations,

The site details the history of the line and all it's stations, also the industries and people who lived, worked and used the line, It is a fantastic resource for

anyone who has an interest in the line and it's surrounding area.

All the best Adrian.

Ps. it also has a link on the site to my model of the line. :locomotive: 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Forgive me for two things. First for being late to the party (again) and for my bad memory if I've missed something.

If you have space above Westerham you could always build a double deck layout. Move Chevening above Brasted and build Dutton green above Westerham. The extra space acquired by moving Chevening could be used to construct a simple light weight elevator connecting the two levels. Not as hard as it sounds, use bike chains connected together for the longer length required. Then 4 long screw threads in the corners passing through 4 bolts fixed to the elevator. Wind the chains trough a handle and worm to raise and lower. It could even have more than one deck thus creating a fiddle yard.

A bit of imagination would be required because the trains would be reversing on one half of the layout but the operating potential would be huge!

Or a helix in place of Chevening fastened to the ceiling on a pulley system.

Take Mrs. Westerham on a nice surprise holiday and grovel harder!!

Build a shed on the back of the garage!!!

Move to a bigger house!!!!

Do a Larry relay it all in N gauge. Just clutching at straws now aren't I.

Anyway I do hope you can come up with a solution because we do so enjoy looking at your models.

Regards Shaun.

Hi Shaun, Your not late for the party, I forgot to send the invitations out, I have got plenty of Watneys Party 7 in to make the party go with a swing.

Thank you and all of the others who have made suggestions regarding Dunton Green.

Regarding grovelling to Mrs W Station I used all my credits up last year when I brought a Series 3 Lightweight Landrover. :triniti:

All the best Adrian

post-17489-0-78541800-1454666057_thumb.jpg

Edited by westerhamstation
  • Like 9

That's IT!  ...     Yes!    .....   that's IT!    ..........     :yahoo:    that's the perfect answer  ..........    :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

Hi Shaun, Your not late for the party, I forgot to send the invitations out, I have got plenty of Watneys Party 7 in to make the party go with a swing.

Thank you and all of the others who have made suggestions regarding Dunton Green.

Regarding grovelling to Mrs W Station I used all my credits up last year when I brought a Series 3 Lightweight Landrover. :triniti:

All the best Adrian

...............   N gauge Chevening and Dutton in the back of the Air-portable  .....    lift up the canvas hood   ......   switch on lights hanging from the frame    ......    and simply reverse into Exhibitions with it  .........    Perfect  .......     :sungum:  :sungum:  :sungum:

.........................................................................................................................................................................................          :derisive:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

That's IT! ... Yes! ..... that's IT! .......... :yahoo: that's the perfect answer .......... :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

............... N gauge Chevening and Dutton in the back of the Air-portable ..... lift up the canvas hood ...... switch on lights hanging from the frame ...... and simply reverse into Exhibitions with it ......... Perfect ....... :sungum: :sungum: :sungum:

......................................................................................................................................................................................... :derisive:

Now why didn't I think of that! Goathland or Dunster in N gauge would totally fit in the back of my truck.

All the best Adrian

I seem to have built up my brownie points with Mrs. S. and am just waiting for the right moment to suggest my plan to extend Dunster on to Minehead up stairs.

My action men had one of those Landrovers BTW. That brings back memories.

regards Shaun.

PS. You've not acquired  that from an Ulsterman by the name of John from Belgium?

• Like 2

All the best Adrian

Adrian, I hope your getting rid of that awful EU Number Plate mate, otherwise it looks fun.

With my track (pardon the pun) record I cant advise on more extensions.

• RMweb Gold

That's a lovely looking Lightweight Adrian, very jealous. Is it still 24V or has it been converted to 12V?

I've owned Landies on and off since the eighties, but never had a lightweight. I started with a 2A and then had a couple of Series 3s, then one of the prototype 110s (a "Y" reg).

Al.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

That's a lovely looking Lightweight Adrian, very jealous. Is it still 24V or has it been converted to 12V?

I've owned Landies on and off since the eighties, but never had a lightweight. I started with a 2A and then had a couple of Series 3s, then one of the prototype 110s (a "Y" reg).

Al.

Hi Al, it's a 12volt GS truck that served with 42 commando regiment, at one time it was fully winterised with a massive heater between the front seats. but that was removed before it was demobbed, so I am guessing that it may have been in Norway at one time during the coldwar period. All the best Adrian.

• Like 3