Hornby 2013 Advent Calendar & Preview

miles73128

• RMweb Premium

There's some items in there that were in the list of deferred models announced earlier in the year. I had wondered if these would be quietly dropped so I'm pleased to see that they should make a reappearance in the 2013 range as Hornby said they would.

I some cases maybe they would be welcome, but others - such as double chimney Penrice Castle - should be allowed to stay dead and be replaced by one of the many tooling options not yet produced.

I can advise that the full release information will be available here and on Model Railways Live on December 17th.

Thanks Hornby - Christmas to New Year will be spent with family that haven't joined the internet age so I won't be able to access RMWeb until 2 January and it takes ages to read through all the comments when I get back, so a head start before Christmas is good news.

• RMweb Gold

Bandwidths issues aside (are they really that bad?) why I do get the feeling this is the thin end of the wedge restricting members to so many items/lines? We all might as well go on Twitter and use a full 140 characters instead!!

Having suggested it perhaps I could go a little further and explain why? We can all have a bit of fun making guesses - informed or otherwise - as to what Hornby or whoever will be cataloguing next year as well as it having a semi-serious side. But I usually get the impression, possibly incorrectly, that the thread tends to turn into more of a wish list (often a long wish list) than a guessing list - to which are added comments about what they are not currently making and so on. It then blossoms into a huge beast with a lack of rationality until the day of announcements (when another sort of thread appears) although shortening the period over which it will be allowed to run ought to provide some control on the length of the thread.

Wish lists have their place but I don't think this ('guess the Hornby catalogue for next year') is really it although that is a personal viewpoint. I am far more interested in seeing what people suggest as potential models with a short comment to support their idea, that again is - I emphasise - the way I would find it most interesting and objective. And it would definitely be a lot easier to follow!

• RMweb Premium

Also it seems every year with such threads we get the pipe dreamers who come up with the same list of wishful thinkings every year almost as if they keep it in a text file on their computer and as soon as an appropriate thread starts, copy and paste it and then post it.

That is then followed by the 'if they do 'X' then a little adjustment to the tooling means they can go on to produce 'Y' the following year' brigade. It does get very tedious I tend to find.

• RMweb Premium

Though accepting that speculation often degenerates into wish-listing, I think limiting the number of items that posters are allowed to mention will do away with the longer, more thoughtful speculative essays which make such threads interesting.

I'm amazed that an online promotion which one would think is aimed at a younger audience than RMwebbers would generate so much interest here. There must be a vast untapped well of froth that's ready to burst forth.

Still we have learned that Hornby plans to make their announcements in two weeks. That's nice to know.

As much as I do enjoy the guessing part of anticipating new year announcements, I had imagined that this year would be more restrained than most. Perhaps I will be surprised.

Guest Belgian

I went on to the Hornby website to look at this advent calender and decided to have a go at the competition today, but all that happens is that the site hangs.

I also wanted to look up a service sheet, but the site is incredibly slow, as it has often been before. Surely, after many incarnations, Hornby ought to be able to run a decent website by now!

JE

I went on to the Hornby website to look at this advent calender and decided to have a go at the competition today, but all that happens is that the site hangs.

I also wanted to look up a service sheet, but the site is incredibly slow, as it has often been before. Surely, after many incarnations, Hornby ought to be able to run a decent website by now!

JE

Though I've never experienced this with the Hornby site I can imagine how irritating a slow website can be. For some reason the hattons website is slow for me.

• RMweb Premium

I didn't have any trouble entering the competition yesterday and the Hornby site has generally been fine for speed up to now. Maybe the Advent Claendar has generated lots of extra traffic - I received a notification email from Hornby yesterday which may have been a factor.

For some reason the hattons website is slow for me.

Not wanting to go O/T, but the Hattons website has been slow for me since their last security upgrade. They know... Funny though, it works much faster on my iPad...

I can advise that the full release information will be available here and on Model Railways Live on December 17th.

From a personal point of view, I think moving the announcement from Xmas day is a shame. As someone who spends most of Xmas day alone, it was something to look forward to.

I am somewhat puzzled by today's quz question, which is effectively what anniversary of the LMS was a particular train pack released to commemorate.

As I understood it the LMS was a creation of the 1923 grouping and so none of the suggested answers can be correct? :O

I am somewhat puzzled by today's quz question, which is effectively what anniversary of the LMS was a particular train pack released to commemorate.

As I understood it the LMS was a creation of the 1923 grouping and so none of the suggested answers can be correct? :O

The answer Hornby are looking for is 175th. That is I think to this day or something like that. If you check the 2012 RANGE section you will find a write up on this train pack. http://www.Hornby.com/2012range/steam-locomotives/

Regards,

Jeremiah.

• RMweb Gold

One thing which is noticeable is that they are giving away some pretty high value prizes so as a marketing tool and interest awakener I would think it might have the desired effect as the news spreads. And as far as I'm concerned that does make it seem as if Hornby might well be bringing in some new ideas in marketing, I wonder?

It is quite innovative marketing so well done them! As regards to costs I don't think its that significant , they are probably offloading excess stock and compared to the cost of TV advertising or even staging one of their roadshows (staff costs etc) its probably quite small. Remember we don't know the cost of actually making these models, they arent paying RRP!

All of Hornby's websites (including Airfix, Corgi & Scalextric) seemed slow last night, almost to the point of unusability.

I would think it might have the desired effect as the news spreads.

While never lightning fast, Hornby's website performance is usually acceptable. Ever since the advent calendar was announced, it's been very slow - particularly in the evening (UK). (It's better right now than it was yesterday, but still much slower than usual.)

If it is this slow now, we will be relying on other sources to learn about the 2013 announcements come the 17th.

• RMweb Gold

So actually the train pack celebrates an arbitrary date that Hornby have plucked out of the air ?

Going a bit OT.

Well sort of it but it's actually based on a date the LNWR (I think?) and then the LMS (definitely) plucked out of the air by referring to themselves as 'the oldest firm in the business'. In other words they regarded themselves as tracing their corporate involvement in railways as going right back to the Liverpool & Manchester Railway. So Hornby aren't all that far off the beam as it happens.

• RMweb Gold

While never lightning fast, Hornby's website performance is usually acceptable. Ever since the advent calendar was announced, it's been very slow - particularly in the evening (UK). (It's better right now than it was yesterday, but still much slower than usual.)

If it is this slow now, we will be relying on other sources to learn about the 2013 announcements come the 17th.

Maybe RMweb will be the place to look? :jester: (I seem to recall that on each of the last two years Hornby's own website has gone distinctly short of delivering the goods on announcement day - presumably due to being heavily used?)

Today's prezzie shows a Lner sleeper coach ,not sure if Hornby have released one already so it's a new number or if its a new model. 5 days in and no modern image model pictures yet!

Mark

Hornby have a Gresley 61ft 6in sleeper first in the range; to be honest, I didn't look at the calendar picture that closely this morning, I just assumed it was a re-number of that model. If it turns out to be a new third class sleeper, I'd be much more interested!

Archived