Hornby 2013 Advent Calendar & Preview

miles73128

I see someone on Facebook has commented about the fact all the winners so far have been from the UK. Not being funny, but it smacks a little of sour grapes as I'd imagine the vast majority of entrants will be from here therefore making an overseas winner highly unlikely.

I see someone on Facebook has commented about the fact all the winners so far have been from the UK. Not being funny, but it smacks a little of sour grapes as I'd imagine the vast majority of entrants will be from here therefore making an overseas winner highly unlikely.

That slims my chances then. :O Or maybe then it might have just be by luck that they were all from England.

Guest Belgian

That slims my chances then. :O Or maybe then it might have just be by luck that they were all from England.

I agree, it's probably simply luck: I haven't won either, and I'm living in the UK. If there were 1,000 entrants, everyone would have a 1 in 1,000 chance of winning. There have been 7 draws so far: even if 15% of the entries were from overseas (which seems a little unlikely) it is still statistically* unlikely that one of them would be a winner.

JE

* Yes, I am aware that one can do anything (within reason) with statistics.

I wonder if anyone from my family back there in the UK has won anything?? I can't even check because facebook is blocked by my server :cry: Anyway I just set my eyes on a Hornby Class 43 HST train pack from Modelzone!! I can't resist the price for that EC pack >> 199.99 quid<<...But my dad's wallet finds it easy to resist.... DAMN! :swoon: Today's prize didn't really catch my eye. It's more on the TOY side not a MODEL!! xD

Guest Belgian

Seems today's question and prize is the same as that for 1st December.

I note too that the 'right-click' loophole on the forthcoming prizes has now been fixed and you can't have a sneak peek any more.

Was there anything interesting to see whilst it was possible?

JE

As this is probably the most relevant topic at the moment I'll just mention in here that tomorrow we'll be publishing an interview on Model Railways Live website that I did with Simon Kohler ahead of the new product announcements.

I'm sure some of the answers will address some of the underlying debates around Hornby on these pages over recent months . ;)

Anyone looking for a teaser / hint / preview of a forthcoming, new, item would do well by [instruction removed - Admin ;) ] in Andy's interview with Simon K.

Some folks may recognise it and bring forth the froth. Some may not.

I'll say no more

Guest Belgian

Anyone looking for a teaser / hint / preview of a forthcoming, new, item would do well by [instruction removed - Admin ;) ] in Andy's interview with Simon K.

Some folks may recognise it and bring forth the froth. Some may not.

I'll say no more

I didn't, even when told what to look for.

JE

Guest Belgian

My goodness, its 11.46 on the first official day of frothing and I can't even find a froth thread yet.

Has the fizz gone out of Christmas?

I thought it wasn't supposed to start until 12.00 hrs.

JE

5075 Wellington Castle - clue "is this castle Made of Rubber" - if its a wellington boot, then yes! From the preview image its GWR lined Green with a Hawksworth tender.

Yes, from the 2012 catalogue, delayed until next June I think. "Made of rubber" - bit of a sad testament to a commemoration to the bomber which commemorated the Iron Duke.

Today's prize is a blue/grey 5BEL and this time the question is unambiguous and not very difficult. Umm, Blackpool?

this time the question is unambiguous and not very difficult.

Unlike today's question on the Airfix website, which gives three possible wrong answers! I would enter, but I don't know which of the wrong ones they'd decide is right.

Edit: Kudos to Airfix, they've corrected the error within an hour of my email to their customer service, and stated that all entries received before the amendment will be entered into today's prize draw, along with all subsequent correct ones.

• RMweb Premium

I hadn't thought about this before, but I wonder how any of the "players" in the advent calendar game realise that Hornby will announce its 2013 range on 17 December? Anyone looking exclusively to the website for details will think they have to wait until the 24th to get the information.

Guest Belgian

http://www.Hornby.co...-peek-24dec.jpg

You just need to change the 24 to whichever date you like to see them all (its cheating I know!). No spoilers though, everything up until Xmas day has previously been announced I believe.

Not exactly breathtaking, are they? If this is all we have to look forward to next year we might as well abandon the froth.

JE

Archived