Hornby 2013 Advent Calendar & Preview

miles73128

• RMweb Gold

It is a great shame,is it not,that Hornby should be the butt of ,it seems all our jokes. They have ,within the last couple of weeks presented us with some very fine models and there's more to come shortly. We all know of the well-publicised difficulties in supply. I think we must exercise some tolerance here.

Guest dubdee1000

It is a great shame,is it not,that Hornby should be the butt of ,it seems all our jokes. They have ,within the last couple of weeks presented us with some very fine models and there's more to come shortly. We all know of the well-publicised difficulties in supply. I think we must exercise some tolerance here.

Supply is one thing, QC is something else

• RMweb Gold

Supply is one thing, QC is something else

Exercising QC on the other side of the world is quite a trick,especially when your manufacturers default on you.Yes,Hornby have made mistakes but they are trying hard to correct them. The much longed-for B17 has been delayed precisely because Hornby have been dissatisfied with earlier efforts. Is this,perhaps,'quality control'?

Guest dubdee1000

Exercising QC on the other side of the world is quite a trick,especially when your manufacturers default on you.Yes,Hornby have made mistakes but they are trying hard to correct them. The much longed-for B17 has been delayed precisely because Hornby have been dissatisfied with earlier efforts. Is this,perhaps,'quality control'?

Indeed it is, but saying that QC is a problem because its on the other side of the world is in my opinion, a poor excuse. The other big manufacturers get products made on the other side of the world and don't seem to have this problem this much and even when they do, are far more proactive in correcting it. The much longed four VEP was *designed* with a poor quality motor and for that the buck stops firmly with Hornby. Someone somewhere chose to fit that with a cheap motor. Why is it Bachmann can churn out the broadly simpler CEP better and cheaper? Now i appreciate that one swallow doesn't make a summer and there is a danger that Hornby gets tarred with a very broad brush, but to my untrained eye, there are aspects of Hornby that need review and persistently blaming "supply issues" is papering over the cracks. Yes, there is a lot of Hornby bashing, but if we don't hold manufacturers to account, then we'll get what we deserve.

I take it you mean Christmas ?

I do indeed. Taken from Urban Dictionary: "Chrimbo: Shorter and less religious word for Christmas."

Lest anyone mistake me for Scrooge, I actually felt an innocent festive tingle when I saw Tornado in the snow on Hornby's Advent Calendar page. It reminded me how the Margate team has been the hobby's anchor for ever, when it comes to launching youngsters into the hobby at Christmas. It spoke of catalogues of yore, and as a child I remember the anticipation each year.

What then broke the spell was the lack of follow-through on the 2013 announcements (I'm not bothered what's in them quite frankly, but the page had built this sense of anticipation) compounded by amateurish spelling errors reminiscent of much lesser organisations than Hornby. I'm not knocking them needlessly, they're a crucial building block of our great hobby, as I have said above - but attention to detail is a cultural thing, and lack of it melts the pristine snow to a brown slush, with the VEP debacle gesticulating like an imp from behind the baubles.

EDIT: With due deference to Andy's post immediately below this one.

• RMweb Gold

Of course it might work like a 'proper' advent calendar and while the blue boxes (hmm, wonder who thought of that?) might or might not be anything special - or even new - presumably the gold box can't be opened until Christmas Day - when it will be a true box of new delights? Proper bit of old fashioned build-up of Christmas excitement and all that sort of thing so quite a clever idea in that respect (if it does indeed work like that?) but a shame that it should initially have been spoilt by poor detail work (now corrected I see).

The latter might however be something which is symptomatic more of the modern world than the world of Hornby. Poor editing, lousy spelling, and abysmal English seem nowadays to be all too typical of the marketing and advertising world - even making the front page of this week's local 'paper's property section with the expression ' ... the most pretty ... '

The latter might however be something which is symptomatic more of the modern world than the world of Hornby. Poor editing, lousy spelling, and abysmal English seem nowadays to be all too typical of the marketing and advertising world

I cannot help but agree here. Here in DK, much of the advertising material is in English since it is expected to cover a lot of the continent and English is often taught as a second language in schools. I was in a chemist shop the other day and saw sitting on the counter a box containing sticking plasters. There was the usual company name followed by the tag line - "For when life gets exiting." They meant, of course, exciting. But there are probably several hundred of these brightly coloured and doubtless expensively produced boxes sitting on counters all over Europe, all bearing the same idiotic mistake. So what, you may say. Well, it's sloppy and reflects badly on the company, which is, of course, what is happening to poor old Hornby. Shouldn't happen.

I wish Hornby well. I grew up with them and their predecessor, Tri-ang. I'll take a look at the advent calendar and, mistakes notwithstanding, I'll have fun with it.

There is a great Advent calender on the Hornby website, with a 2013 preview. Anybody been able to open the preview yet? I can open todays "present" but not the 2013 preview!

Any of the Advent tabs can be "opened" - not difficult if you apply a little lateral thinking and the right mouse button.

• RMweb Premium

Now fixed :)

I think I heard that the 2013 announcements were to be released on the 17th December this year.

Are you sure? IIRC the normal routine is sometime in mid December all the mag editors, etc get invited to a press preview of the 2013 range on the understanding it will be kept as secret as possable until Christmas day.

Are you sure? IIRC the normal routine is sometime in mid December all the mag editors, etc get invited to a press preview of the 2013 range on the understanding it will be kept as secret as possable until Christmas day.

I read the same thing somewhere on line yesterday,presumably they have realised the embargo until Christmas does not work. In any case we know what a large part of the range is so its just a case of what they announce for 2013, or should that be 2014.

• RMweb Premium

Considering how much stuff from 2012 (and 2011 in a few cases) have now been delayed until 2013 mostly due to Chinese incompetence they might as well just reprint this years catalogue and change the year on the front. We won't be seeing much new announced that is for certain.

Archived