Hornby 2013 Advent Calendar & Preview

miles73128

Anybody agree that ideally they need to pull some whopper of a surprise out of the bag in the preview. Not something that we should have had last year or this, something fresh. Something that gets people interested and talking about Hornby in better terms again, a real headliner.........

Any of the Advent tabs can be "opened" - not difficult if you apply a little lateral thinking and the right mouse button.

There's some items in there that were in the list of deferred models announced earlier in the year. I had wondered if these would be quietly dropped so I'm pleased to see that they should make a reappearance in the 2013 range as Hornby said they would.

And kind of interesting to note who started it bearing in mind the flavour of a recent post here on the subject of a certain Hornby model and what they should do!

RP

Guest dubdee1000

And kind of interesting to note who started it bearing in mind the flavour of a recent post here on the subject of a certain Hornby model and what they should do!

RP

not me! :no:

I'm not sure if perhaps the plan for the graphics was going to be slightly different in the way that the window opens, but the line of text relates to the small picture (all from the current range), in a sort of reverse slightly-cryptic crossword clue, and not the 'prize'.

For those who haven't figured it out. Blue present boxes are forthcoming dates, red ones have gone, and the green one (whose lid pops up when you hover your pointer over it) is that day's competition/day.

Using the right-click and 'open new window' command, you can cheat (!!) and see what all the prizes are until 24th December. There is no 25th December, but presumably that's when the 2013 range will be revealed.

I won't offer a spoiler alert, but having 'cheated' I'll simply say that the daily prize is a mix of everything from the 'train set' range upwards, including some sound-fitted locos (steam and diesel)

IMHO it's a creative way of getting people to look at the Hornby website daily, and I wouldn't knock them for that.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like common sense finally prevailed this year. The advent calendar is a nice bit of marketing too. I noticed it seems very quiet on the magazine front. Model Rail is normally first of the magazines out after the announcement but there's no mention of the Hornby announcement in the preview of the next issue. Will timing mean they miss it?

Guest Belgian

Well, that seems pretty official. It's a fortnight tomorrow.

It used to be on Christmas Day, then last year it was this year (if you get my meaning - it was in January) and now it's 17th December, so we will have had two announcements this year.

So, should we open a frothing topic to speculate when there will be an announcement next year?!! :protest:

JE

• RMweb Premium

Well, that seems pretty official. It's a fortnight tomorrow.

It used to be on Christmas Day, then last year it was this year (if you get my meaning - it was in January) and now it's 17th December, so we will have had two announcements this year.

So, should we open a frothing topic to speculate when there will be an announcement next year?!! :protest:

JE

OMG - 2013 products to be announced.......... Oh hang on, what happened to 2012?

Maybe the 2013 release schedule will see a catch up to 2012..... And maybe a statement about production issues in China..... All I hope for is a realistic schedule released on Dec 17th that does not over cook the goose .......

So potentially a froth date of the 10th December if management agree (and no I don't intend to start it this year)!

If there *must* be such a topic I think your suggestion is sensible Mark. ;)

I can advise that the full release information will be available here and on Model Railways Live on December 17th.

• RMweb Gold

I can advise that the full release information will be available here and on Model Railways Live on December 17th.

Why is it the earlier date this year Andy ? Due to a magazine leak last year maybe ?

• RMweb Gold

I can see some sense in moving the date forward as it will help avoid pre-empted publication by the magazines (I expect :O ) and that will allow Hornby greater freedom in whatever promotional paths it is taking with retailers etc. And in view of all the speculation/rumour/bad news and so on which has surrounded Hornby in recent years it makes considerable sense, I think, to not only reduce the potential frothing period but also, again, give Hornby itself a clearer field to get its own unedited (by others) message across first - which is an important thing in view of the recent supply position etc.

Unavoidably whatever the date is it will not stop the internet frothing but then nothing short of a major cyber attack ever will stop that. And very sensible of Andy I think to only allow us a 7 day window for speculation (the posh word for frothing/guessing) because at least it will save a bit of otherwise wasted bandwidth :mail: And as it is almost all guesswork - albeit sometimes rationally considered - perhaps the speculative posts should be limited to 5 catalogue items per member with no more than one line of 'explanation' to support each guess carefully considered entry? :crazy:

• RMweb Gold

Whatever the reason - leak or otherwise - I think having the announcement before Christmas makes it a little less "anti-social" in that people can begin their analysis / praise / criticism well before the 25th and have that day away from the Forum - spend it with the family :D & give Andy & the Team a break! ;)

perhaps the speculative posts should be limited to 5 catalogue items per member with no more than one line of 'explanation' to support each guess carefully considered entry? :crazy:

Bandwidths issues aside (are they really that bad?) why I do get the feeling this is the thin end of the wedge restricting members to so many items/lines? We all might as well go on Twitter and use a full 140 characters instead!!

Bandwidths issues aside (are they really that bad?) why I do get the feeling this is the thin end of the wedge restricting members to so many items/lines? We all might as well go on Twitter and use a full 140 characters instead!!

Nothing to do with bandwidth but it's subject matter that gets somewhat boring if people don't adopt a disciplined or rational approach to it. Where's any other evidence people are restricted to the volume of contribution? (Aside from three-word wheeltapper's topics).

:no:

Archived