RMweb

Bakewell - Peak District Line BR - Layout Views

Alister_G

• RMweb Gold

The back scene makes the whole layout come alive Al.  Looks very good.

Derek

Thanks Derek.

I'm still envious of the space you have though, your long views up the yard are fantastic.

Al.

I concur, the backscene adds a whole new dimension to your pictures Al.

It also brings out how good your lighting is in the basement, almost as good as natural light I'd say. The colour pics look natural.

Excellent.

C6T.

Edited by Classsix T

• RMweb Gold

Well, this past week has been exceptionally busy at work, with me working in the office from 7 til 5, and then continuing to work at home until 11PM nearly every night.

I've not done anything further to the layout, therefore, until today, when I was able to spend nearly all day on it.

The introduction of the first section of backscene has spurred me on to get the others done. However, I couldn't mount it until I had first moved an electrical socket on the back wall, which protruded too far for the backscene to be able to fit. So that was the first job this morning, and once that was done, I was able to place the main backboard support at the opposite end of the layout, and then start to build the sections that attach to it.

Here's the main section in place:

post-17302-0-13072600-1439681172_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-19647400-1439681175_thumb.jpg

As you can see, there is some disruption to services whilst this work is carried out...

post-17302-0-13235500-1439681178_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-59732200-1439681180_thumb.jpg

And the chaos has spilled over into my workshop area:

post-17302-0-33400500-1439681183_thumb.jpg

Here's the next panel being built:

post-17302-0-34767800-1439681185_thumb.jpg

And in place:

post-17302-0-47295900-1439681187_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-73992200-1439681189_thumb.jpg

However, this is  a sneaky bit, it's on hinges:

post-17302-0-68611100-1439681191_thumb.jpg

So I can open it out like a door for access to that corner of the layout.

post-17302-0-04756300-1439681194_thumb.jpg

My plan is that the other sections down the viewing side of the layout will be free standing, but will butt up to the side of the layout if I'm photographing from "inside", or stand back if I want to access the layout. Either way, the continuation from the hinged section should be relatively seamless.

Tomorrow I'll do the remaining section in the far corner, and apply the scene to the backboards done so far.

Look out for photos tomorrow!

Al.

• Like 8

Nice work Al. While the white-washed wall has a certain charm, adding these back scenes will bring it all together. I really like your idea of having free-standing panels that you can move out of the way to photograph and get access from the outer edge. 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al, as the others have said, the backscene makes a huge difference to your scenes, and really allows the various structures to stand out. I love the depth of field and realism that you are able to create in your photos just from this one change. Was it 1x3 you used to strengthen the back?

• RMweb Gold

Hi Jason, nice to hear from you.

For the completed end, because space was tight, and I wanted the backboards to be as close as possible to the wall, I used half inch by 2 inch battens, glued and stapled to the hardboard.

For the section shown above, and for the sections down the side which I haven't done yet, I'm using 2 inch by 1 inch battens, the framework screwed and glued together and then the hardboard glued and stapled to the frame.

Cheers,

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Look out for photos tomorrow!

Yes, well, that was the plan...

I'm afraid circumstances have prevented me from carrying out any further work on the layout this week so far.

Hope to have something to show you by the weekend.

Al.

The introduction of the first section of backscene has spurred me on to get the others done.

Here's the main section in place:

However, this is  a sneaky bit, it's on hinges:

So I can open it out like a door for access to that corner of the layout.

Hi Al,

We need an 'ingenious' button!

Backscenes a subject dear to me heart at the moment as I wrestling with how best to go about it - photos or painting? There's no doubt that, when photo'd from the right angle (eg the road bridge shot that I also really like) a photo background ticks all the boxes :ok: . But I also subscribe to the view that the backscene shouldn't dominate and there should be some 'softness' to it to aid the impression of receding into the distance.

Hmm - is a puzzlement :scratchhead: Any views? (I'm not as arty as you!)

• RMweb Gold

Hi Al,

We need an 'ingenious' button!

Backscenes a subject dear to me heart at the moment as I wrestling with how best to go about it - photos or painting? There's no doubt that, when photo'd from the right angle (eg the road bridge shot that I also really like) a photo background ticks all the boxes :ok: . But I also subscribe to the view that the backscene shouldn't dominate and there should be some 'softness' to it to aid the impression of receding into the distance.

Hmm - is a puzzlement :scratchhead: Any views? (I'm not as arty as you!)

Thanks mate.

My view is that if you can tightly control viewing angles - which almost always means that it is primarily meant for a layout mostly seen only in photos, as mine is, and as Gilbert's Peterborough North is - then a photographic backscene is fine, so long as it is not too bright and sharp.

As you say, you don't want to overpower the scenery and structures you've built, by sticking a pin sharp and brightly coloured photo behind it, but one which is in muted colours, and soft focus, is ideal.

However, for a layout which is primarily meant to be viewed on the exhibiton circuit as yours is, then the normal eyeline of the punters means that detailed photo backscenes would look wrong from most angles.

What you could try is a more impressionist view of some buildings, or a distant skyline, done in muted greys, greens and purples, with a greyish representation of sky above.

Having said that, AndyY and the gang very successfully used a detailed photo backscene on Black Country Blues, which from all the photos I've seen of it looks good from any possible viewing angle, but he's a very clever boy :D  Your layout is so large in scope that I doubt you'd be able to achieve that.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Well I promised you photos, and so here they are.

Unfortunately progress has been interrupted by a power cut this evening, and then having to go into work to deal with the aftermath, so I wasn't able to get as far as I'd hoped.

The first thing that happened, was that Doveholes Tunnel was dismantled:

post-17302-0-58090900-1440276898_thumb.jpg

With bits scattered across the rest of the layout:

post-17302-0-50682500-1440276901_thumb.jpg

This has had the unfortunate side effect that several thousand tons of limestone has landed in the station throat, which even a track rubber may have some difficulty clearing.

post-17302-0-79409100-1440276903_thumb.jpg

It does, however, provide the opportunity for this photo: which looks like we've moved up the line to Marcus37's loft, and Peak Forest :)

post-17302-0-17080400-1440276906_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to the corner, and the backboards have been removed in preparation for the application of the backscene:

post-17302-0-40221500-1440276908_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-92447600-1440276911_thumb.jpg

You can see where I had to move the surface mount electrical socket.

Here's my willing helper, applying PVA to the backboards. As she remarked, it seems weird to be putting the adhesive actually on the pasting table :)

post-17302-0-10363800-1440276914_thumb.jpg

and here it is, pasted:

post-17302-0-79726800-1440276915_thumb.jpg

and finally, here's the backscene applied and weighted down to dry:

post-17302-0-46143100-1440276918_thumb.jpg

I'm afraid it'll have to be tomorrow before the boards are put back in position.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 10

Most impressive, Al!

Sent from a lovely Devon holiday let with the rain lashing down so hard there is no point even going on a train ride-there would be nothing T see! Wish I'd put the modelling kit in after all...

• RMweb Gold

I see your electrical work is not to the same standard as your modeling.

Mike

Yes, a bit of a compromise, that. I couldn't shift the wooden backplate - the screws were rusted solid, and seemed to be attached to the planet,  and the original cable was jammed behind it, so the only option was to connect the junction box in situ.I could have cut it back, and put the junction box higher up the wall, but I didn't.

Not my proudest moment, I agree.

Al.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This afternoon, I and my willing helpers wrangled the new backboards out of the living room and back down into the cellar, and put them in place on the layout.

I've had no time to do anything with them, or to restore any semblance of normality to the layout, but here's a few photos:

Backscene in place, but not yet fixed:

post-17302-0-54679100-1440357071_thumb.jpg

A closer view:

post-17302-0-94281200-1440357073_thumb.jpg

and a couple of examples of how it looks in context:

post-17302-0-93221400-1440357075_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-87233700-1440357077_thumb.jpg

I will grab what time I have this week to rebuild Doveholes, reinstate the tunnel portals and embankment, and try and get some trains running again.

Already though, I think you can see it's going to be pretty good.

Thanks for looking,

Al.

• Like 13

Hi Al

It's been quite a while since I have had time to post on here but things have moved on really well, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing a few more shots once everything is back in place. I'll also be interested in seeing how well the backscene stays attached to the boards and if any rippling occurs, hopefully not but it is one of the reasons I've not done mine yet - just not brave enough to risk it.

All looking good though and another reminder to me to make more time for modelling and get on with things, soon I hope.

All the best

Jim