Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

This is the Dapol ballast, it doesn’t go green but it does darken it a bit. I’ve not had any issues with Woodlands scenics either, I use that on Ranelagh Bridge.

Severn Tunnel East has been loaded up and is on its way to Bristol so if your going I’ll see you Sunday.

Ballast laid and the first pass of PVA added. I’ve finished adding the sand either side of the track through the tunnel once that’s dry I’ll add the rest of the ballast,

I sprayed all the track over last night with Rail match sleeper grime.

attachicon.gif81190802-4D83-4A3F-B66D-B1E463791F98.jpeg

You can't fool us Steve, that's not PVA on the sleepers, I reckon its spray off the sea !

Ballast laid and the first pass of PVA added. I’ve finished adding the sand either side of the track through the tunnel once that’s dry I’ll add the rest of the ballast,

I sprayed all the track over last night with Rail match sleeper grime.

attachicon.gif81190802-4D83-4A3F-B66D-B1E463791F98.jpeg

Nice work Steve, all finished for Bristol? 

Steve,

Do you not find the PVA tends to make the ballast take on an odd tinge of green? I’ve started using latex adhesive, watered down,which seems not to do this.

Or do you use ballast that doesn’t do that?

Best

Simon

I think that copydex, or latex glues help to quieten running too.

Where do you get yours Simon and in what quantities?

ATVB

CME

Steve,

I won’t be at the show, bit of a hike from East Kent!

I hope it goes well for you. The sea wall is a bloody impressive bit of scenic work in double-quick time: well done.

Good luck re selling STE.

CME

Screwfix, maybe?

post-20369-0-36803100-1517002913_thumb.jpeg

I water it down about 50:50, wet everything with a plant sprayer, and then put it on with a dropper - lots of it, it seems to absorb into the ballast really well.

My ballast is a mix of woodland scenic, hobby trade, and a large several-kilo bag whose origin I can’t recall. I had some other stone which went very green on the old layout.

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 2

Thanks.

I know Copydex wont affect different track types/materials. It is 'rubberised', yet is that the same as 'latex'? I also know that Copydex is good for sound deadening-keeping ballast flexible-mind you it stinks LOL! Also tends to be sold in smaller qtys and is pricey as it's 'branded'.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Nothing much happening today as I’ve run out of ballast! I hope some one has some stock at the Bristol show tomorrow, I’ve added a phone for any loco man to contact the signal box, a couple of line side equipment boxes will also go by here. I’ve weathered the brick work down a little as well.post-5983-0-27580400-1517068602_thumb.jpeg

• Like 5

post-5983-0-02509700-1517079466_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-53203400-1517079478_thumb.png

I’ve drilled the hole out ready for the signal that I’m collecting tomorrow at the Bristol show, in the mean time I thought I’d pop the wooden post signal in from Severn Tunnel East Just to get a feel for it!!

Signals always make a layout.

Severn Tunnel East is all set up at the show venue so If your going pop along and say Hello

• Like 5

Steve,

Might be out of order here, but IMO the tail light is about a gazillion times too bright!

Best

Simon

Everything looks a gazillion times brighter when you live here in Devon, especially when you come out of they tunnels !

Very best

Grahame

The jury is still out on that at the moment!! I’ve been looking at pics and it’s surprising how close some trees where and still are. Once I’ve built up some of the scrub bushes around it I’ll decide on its fate!!

This is what I was aiming for,

post-5983-0-68129900-1517229210_thumb.jpeg

Copyright unknown

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 3