Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

post-5983-0-29923100-1518107472_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-92271800-1518107489_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-22725400-1518107502_thumb.jpeg

More progress on the wall today,

First darker dry brushing on the upper courses then sealed. A wash with thinned grey then a bluey grey dry brush over the lower half followed by white for salt staining! This will be sealed again later and a few more grey washes tomorrow

• Like 7

Hi Steve,

Very much enjoying this as I have previously said.

Will you be giving the whole of the stonework a darker wash i.e. top to bottom ? 

It just strikes me that the top area appears to look more like brickwork ( albeit stone ) and I would hope it will eventually blend in to look more like the work in progress below.

I agree with what you say about it looking cr@p ( your words mate !)  as you go along but I can't seem to see why its a terracotta shade at the top ?

The whole wall area from my memory has been stone block which is varying tones of grey as shown on the attached.

post-20303-0-35634300-1518109576.jpg

Please don't take the above as a criticism but I thought you may wish to consider the final stonework colouration before getting too far with it.

Best

Grahame

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

You're not going to like me for saying this but the bit of the wall you have in the orangy colour is the parapet and should be above the tracked. On your model it looks like the trackbed is level with the top of the wall.

Steve,

As I haven't ventured that far along the wall I cannot agree or deny your comment and photograph.

In general terms I'd be very surprised if sandstone block was used in such an exposed position and tend to lean towards the granite blockwork throughout the building of the defence walling.

It does look as though there is a pigmentation which gives the impression of sandstone there but I'm really not certain.

Only trying to help as your work so far is of a really high standard.

Grahame

I know that, I was contemplating whether to add the higher wall but as this is to photograph locos I didn’t want to impede the view of the loco wheels, I will be adding coping stones on top of the wall and adding fencing.

You have to imagine this is a secret Cove between Coryton and horse!!

I’m taking inspiration from all along the sea wall. Picking bits from here and there.

• Like 1

Well !

Ya could have told us that in the first place, now I'm feeling proper daft !!! :jester:

Ann Observer

You're not going to like me for saying this but the bit of the wall you have in the orangy colour is the parapet and should be above the tracked. On your model it looks like the trackbed is level with the top of the wall.

I appreciate all your input it keeps me on my toes!!

Sand stone was also used by Parsons Tunnel.

Edited by steve fay

I know that, I was contemplating whether to add the higher wall but as this is to photograph locos I didn’t want to impede the view of the loco wheels, I will be adding coping stones on top of the wall and adding fencing.

You have to imagine this is a secret Cove between Coryton and horse!!

I’m taking inspiration from all along the sea wall. Picking bits from here and there.

I agree Steve, all models are a compromise and Im trying to remember how Pendon portrayed such so as to display trains (locos) too? There should be a parapet wall, but it will be nice to see 'rods a twinckle'.

Also, going back 25 yrs, Im also trying to remember the type of stone used and replaced on DSW......iirc some sandstone was used in places-surprising really. Cpt Kernow's help would be useful-he and his predessors are/were the go to guys when I worked on WR then RT.....Peter Haigh, John Mann et al. I was only 2nd in command on procurement support for DSW, as tunnels, cuttings, bridges (structures) were my thing.....CK would know though ping him a PM if in doubt.......as you say though your model is a 'in the style of/somewhere along the coastline'.....like a Turner painting, the essence of the area.

Keep up the good work!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Pendon have done as per the prototype, The Viaduct over smugglers Cove is granite and from there on is sand stone.

Given the space I too would have done it as prototypical as possible. I am constrained by the board size I’ve chosen. I did make a conscious decision to leave off the Parapet wall and even though I’ve chosen to do the two tone as per Coryton Cove I’ve also chosen to add metal fencing like the short stretch from Dawlish station in front of Marine Parade. What I hope is that you will get a sense of familiarity once it’s complete.

When I started this project one of the first things I had to do was make sure the board would fit through my back door ( it does but watch your fingers ) and then try to compromise on the beach width and the available space for the cliffs. Just like with Canton I’ve taken the Hollywood approach and I’m bending reality to suit my needs. I’m painting an overall picture in a very compressed space.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

Pending have done as per the prototype, The Viaduct over smugglers Cove is granite and from there on is sand stone.

Given the space I too would have done it as prototypical as possible. I am constrained by the board size I’ve chosen. I did make a conscious decision to leave off the Parapet wall and even though I’ve chosen to do the two tone as per Coryton Cove I’ve also chosen to add metal fencing like the short stretch from Dawlish station in front of Marine Parade. What I hope is that you will get a sense of familiarity once it’s complete.

When I started this project one of the first things I had to do was make sure the board would fit through my back door ( it does but watch your fingers ) and then try to compromise on the beach width and the available space for the cliffs. Just like in Canton I’ve taken the Hollywood approach and I’m bending reality to suit my needs. I’m painting an overall picture in a very compressed space.

You need to get a much bigger door, Steve?!!

Lovely progress, by the way!!

Regards, Deano.

The tide has recently receded at Mermaid Cove!!

First layer of sand from Goodrington sands beach added. I’ll build this up in layers to form a shallow V, this will create a bowl for the water, I’m not sure whether to go for layers of gloss varnish or clear resin?

I’ve seen some great results with both. post-5983-0-10034300-1518175304_thumb.jpeg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 9

Pendon have done as per the prototype, The Viaduct over smugglers Cove is granite and from there on is sand stone.

When I started this project one of the first things I had to do was make sure the board would fit through my back door ( it does but watch your fingers ) and then try to compromise on the beach width and the available space for the cliffs. Just like with Canton I’ve taken the Hollywood approach and I’m bending reality to suit my needs. I’m painting an overall picture in a very compressed space.

Steve, I for one, think youve done stirling work and that your thought processes coupled with the execution of them (the model-making) is spot on, superb in fact!

ATVB

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• RMweb Premium

Good stuff Steve. If leaving the parapet wall off is a conscious decision then fair enough - I can see your thinking as it's a photo plank. Just made the comment on the off chance you hadn't twigged there was a parapet - I've done dafter things myself and was annoyed when nobody questioned what I was doing as it led to wasted effort. Love the area, we have friends who live on the cliffs between Dawlish and Teignmouth and regularly walk the coastal route along the sea wall.

• Like 2

Do Torbay Council know you've stolen their property. :jester:

Good stuff Steve. If leaving the parapet wall off is a conscious decision then fair enough - I can see your thinking as it's a photo plank. Just made the comment on the off chance you hadn't twigged there was a parapet - I've done dafter things myself and was annoyed when nobody questioned what I was doing as it led to wasted effort. Love the area, we have friends who live on the cliffs between Dawlish and Teignmouth and regularly walk the coastal route along the sea wall.

I appreciate everyone’s input and I’d rather something was pointed out before any mistakes are made. I like the section in front of marine parade as the track is elevated, that’s the look I’m hoping to achieve. I added a strip of 3mm ply under the track to get the nice ballast shoulder effect that’s also visible.

Do Torbay Council know you've stolen their property. :jester:

Shhhhhh!!
  • Like 2

NOTICE FROM TORBAY COUNCIL

It has been brought to the attention of the good citizens of Torbay that certain people have been removing sand from Goodrington Beach and transporting it along the coast to be deposited at or near Coryton Cove. The Council wish it to be known that such practice is frowned upon and action may be taken to route out the offenders. The Council considers that the removal of sand from the aforementioned beach is contrary to the local bye laws especially so because quite a lot of the sand in this area was washed along the coast from the Dawlish area and deposited on the beach at Goodrington and other bays within the Borough of Torbay. Furthermore although the action of removing sand is totally pointless as it will soon wash back with the next easterly gales it is nevertheless an offence and will be treated as such. The only exception which the Council will tolerate is that if the sand is to be used on a model based on the sea wall at Dawlish and that such a model can be viewed and verified as to its authenticity (within reason of space consideration) then no action will be forth coming.

By Order

Torbay Borough Council

Well Steve it looks like you are safe. lol

Rod

• Like 1

post-5983-0-29886300-1518814564_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-93001800-1518814585.jpeg

I just happened to have a piece of ply in the shed measuring 4 foot X 2 foot which would be ideal for board number 2, now this one would be based on the only section that doesn’t actually have a wall section as it’s more secluded.

The Ariel shot shows the area in question.

Marked out to scale on the board I’ve decided to add a few Pway buildings and a large wind swept tree right at the front so the Trains will be hidden behind things instead of front and centre.

Lots of bushes and general scrub to complete!!

Any way Ballast has been dispatched so it’s back to board one!!

• Like 6

post-5983-0-93367200-1518871336_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-63246600-1518871349_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-42157300-1518871364_thumb.jpeg

Not much to do on a Saturday morning whilst waiting for ballast to dry so I’ve taken to hacking up some card board, it’s good to get a 3D perspective plus I can use the card board as a template to cut the polystyrene.

The Railway will be hidden more on this board hopefully drawing your eye in post-5983-0-99909200-1518871990_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-31853500-1518872007_thumb.jpeg

• Like 8