Stephen Fay’s diorama builds. GCR Kirton Lindsey tunnel

steve fay

I pop things in place then come back and look at them a few times to see if I’m happy with it.

I do have a pic in a book of a king at the same point and the trees are there. I’m leaning more towards taking it out but will decide once the next batch of scenics arrive which will be tomorrow as I missed the postie this morning!

Edited, it’s gone, the lineside crew have been and cut the tree down!!

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 2

Hi Steve,

I think its more the fact that it looked more like a Christmas tree ( comment made in a friendly manner ) than a native species that made me question it to be honest.

ATB

Grahame

I’ve ordered 6 sheets of slaters 7mm stone wall. Looking at prototype pics it’s clear the stone work is very pronounced and a laser cut option isn’t going to work in this case.

I just hope I can get the sheets to line up as it’s stumped me before!!!

Failing that I might go down the DAS route and use the slaters as a mould.

• Like 1

I pop things in place then come back and look at them a few times to see if I’m happy with it.

I do have a pic in a book of a king at the same point and the trees are there. I’m leaning more towards taking it out but will decide once the next batch of scenics arrive which will be tomorrow as I missed the postie this morning!

Edited, it’s gone, the lineside crew have been and cut the tree down!!

Agreed Steve, the same with weathering for me, see how it sits, I try to avoid modelling the weird and wonderful, even if it is present on the prototype as such can looked strange when modelled.....

Hi Steve,

I think its more the fact that it looked more like a Christmas tree ( comment made in a friendly manner ) than a native species that made me question it to be honest.

ATB

Grahame

See above Grahame, by and large agree....

I’ve ordered 6 sheets of slaters 7mm stone wall. Looking at prototype pics it’s clear the stone work is very pronounced and a laser cut option isn’t going to work in this case.

I just hope I can get the sheets to line up as it’s stumped me before!!!

Failing that I might go down the DAS route and use the slaters as a mould.

Agreed Steve, or get them as close as and then paint over a watery wash of flexible plasteresque solution to fill in certain gaps......

Nevertheless it's all nice work Steve, superb in fact.

Kindest regards,

M.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 3

Steve,

Given your concern about stonework, it might be worth looking at Chris’ (too many spams) thread about Pencarrow/Bodmin on RMWeb. Early on in the thread he built an amazing building from plasticard. Well worth the browsing time!!

I’ll try to find a link.

Best

Simon

Steve,

Given your concern about stonework, it might be worth looking at Chris’ (too many spams) thread about Pencarrow/Bodmin on RMWeb. Early on in the thread he built an amazing building from plasticard. Well worth the browsing time!!

I’ll try to find a link.

Best

Simon

Thanks I do follow that thread but I can’t remember the building in question. I’ve cut the slaters brick walls for the tunnel innards this evening and given them a coat of bauxite, I’ll pick out the individual colours tomorrow. I’ve chosen to do both sides as well, I wouldn’t have bothered with the inside walls as from normal viewing angles your never going to see it but a certain professional photographer finds all sorts of places to stick his camera lense and I’ve been caught out before thinking it’ll be OK no one will ever see down there!!!!

post-5983-0-72323600-1518017213_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-91020100-1518017235_thumb.jpeg

We have a wall, sprayed with white primer and I’ve added the first coat of gray. Brushed on in a dry brush fashion, I will seal this and do the same again in a slightly lighter shade and repeat the process a few times.

• Like 5

post-5983-0-42432400-1518035947_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-50728100-1518035962_thumb.jpegpost-5983-0-47176600-1518035976_thumb.jpeg

Day one on the wall is complete, I’ve been building up layers through out the day,

At Coryton Cove the top courses of blocks are sand stone whilst the lower are harder Dartmoor granite, Im also replicating this using various shades of reds, browns and terracotta’s. The lower half is varying shades of grey.

This will be sealed in the morning with clear varnish so more layers can be built up. In the end it will be sealed and flattened with a generous coat of Dullcote.

Now as with the method I use for painting bricks it can look rather crap as you go along but keep at it.

• Like 7