Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

3. the images of the amended vents in the opening post represent a stage further of designing much more cleverer and haven't been used yet (i hope this isn't the case - worse result, less effort)

Judging by a picture of the pull-push driving end on Graham Muz's blog site, they're separately fitted vents. Can someone who actually owns a P-P set check and confirm?

But the cones of the torpedo vents should stand clear of the roof - have a good look at the comparison images in Andy's original post. To me it looks like the design clever approach fills in the gap and takes it back to a Triang type finish. The vents are one of the few features on a roof - such a pity to spoil them.

As you say, lets see what comes out of the factory...

Ah, but if we are railway modellers, can we not do some modelling and correct them? If one of the premises behind "design clever" is to replace expensive to install separate items with moulded items that can be easily replaced or altered by a railway modeller, then I'm all for it.

If Hornby by "design clever" are designing towards a price, I'd rather have a correct profile and moulded on roof vents (which are easy to replace) than an incorrect profile (not so easy to fix) and separately added roof vents...

but before we wroth indignantly, let's see what they look like "in the flesh"

iD

Just hope the axle boxes on the Sentinel are better than that as they look far too big. But it will still be a case between Judith Edge or a RTR one.

The axleboxes on a chain drive Sentinel are pretty hefty! And we should remember that the models shown will be pre-production.

I must get my JE kit built...

Having had more to to absorb the news, Hornby is definitely not Bachmann. Hornby re-uses innapropriate pony trucks and whole chassis from previous models instead of going the whole mile like its competitor, and as for the return to moulded handrail Triang technology, no amount of 'clever technology' buzzwords disguises what is essentially a retro-move in anyones language.

Have to say your post is spot on Larry. Moulded-on detail was replaced years ago my separately added detail in an effort to produce more accurate models. This "clever" theme makes me feel like the King's new clothes scenario.

Some good ideas here - the Sentinel diesel probably being the best, maybe followed by the big namer steamers. The NPCCS will be nice although please note they are not wagons. The only "wagon" also isn't really a wagon either - more a service vehicle, in the same way a diesel brake tender is not a wagon either.

The 2 BIL is an inspired choice and looks very appealing to the SR modellers and collectors.

The Mk1s absolutely blow me away. Why on earth didn't Hornby choose the BSO this time instead of the BSK ? I'm certain even the most hardened Bachmannite would acquire a new BSO or two from this range, but why bother buying yet more of the same design when the competitive edge will almost certainly be taken by the guys from Barwell.

The LLB 56 should do well and the GWR Star and Hall will undoubtedly too.

Summing up though, and excluding the 2 BIL and the Mikado, the majority of the new catalogue is reproductions of items produced over the past 40 years, even down to the shunters truck.

On my shopping list ; Sentinel, CCT, fish van, and just maybe a BR liveried Hall

Do not understand the Hall as I understand the Bachmann one is not a particularly big seller so no doubt we can expect a flood of them being cleared at low prices in a year or twos time like the Standard 4s - the ony logical reason is a Hogwarts Castle tie in.

It could also tie in a design clever saint in the future as the first hall was rebuilt from saint martin. Again another brilliant year from Hornby. I saw one of the leaks but thought it was unlikely to have both Duke of Gloster and P2. The star is welcome to my western reigon layout. Hope they do well from this years products!

Best wishes

Colin

2 BIL gets my vote, and possibly my money. Takes me back to the days of the Tri-ang "2 NOL".

The Sentinel looks good. I hope it sells well and they follow it up with the 0-6-0DH version, ideally in London Transport green livery. It'd make a nice change to the Bachmann 57xx Panniers in LT maroon.

Booo Hissss rubbishhh

Grrrrr, RTR Sentinal, why would anyone want one of those, particularly in such a garish orange... :bad:

post-336-0-32261900-1355754824.jpg

post-336-0-32180800-1355754825.jpg

post-336-0-04923500-1355754827.jpg

Its no good telling me I've taken one for the team, I've just remembered why I'm going to stick to obscure ferry wagons in future, less likely to get copied by the big boys.... :hunter:

Jon

• RMweb Premium

To extrapolate on a theme. If Hornby have gone to the trouble of producing DoG and the P2, what other limited number locos could they produce. Bold moves indeed by Hornby in a cold climate. So if theses do well and SK is calling for 2014 suggestions I hope that my beloved 47XX is in with a shout, thats if Bachmann don't bring one out. Perhaps the 18000 Kersosine Castle may get a look in. The new products all represent in one way or another a bold move by Hornby, lets hope we the public repay this by purchasing some of these superb models.

• RMweb Gold

Having seen the reference to Maunsell vents in the opening post and diagrams to suit I've looked again at images of the pull-push set. The vents don't look tampered with or a lower quality but neither do they look like the cad diagrams in Andy Y's opening post.

What the CAD diagram does not fully show is the undercut. I have a late-model Maunsell BCK (i.e. the high-window one from Imperial Airways) and the pull-push driving coach in front of me. I can see that the pull-push vehicle vents are maybe very, very slightly closer in to the roof - but in terms of their general appearance and their shape they are identical. However, I can see with a bright light throught the windows that there is a hole in the roof underneath each vent - but it is a hole, i.e. no sign of a locating pin, so that may well be where the injection takes place. I am not minded to take the pull-push coach to pieces, I'm afraid!

Delighted by the Sentinel, hope to see further industrial loco designs over the next few years.

Personally, I would prefer to keep the current spec of outstanding models with fine added-on details ...and am happy to pay more for them accordingly - as with the SECR Wainwright C Class and GCR Butler Henderson from Bachmann, and the B1 and L1 previously released from Hornby. Having said that, the 2-BIL looks great and if that is what represents "design clever", then maybe it is a good strategy.

It will be interesting to see ...

I am delighted to see Hornby coming out so strongly, what a fantastic range of offerings. They are to be commended for bridging that gap between 'toy' and 'modeller' offerings with the Railroad range. It is also quite likely that those of us with diminishing eyesight and shaky hands will make greater use of these less expensive models (no more searching for that elusive part on hands and knees!), after all, the finish and running qualities are brilliant at the price

As always, a great read from Andy, and full marks to RMWeb

What is a shunter's truck used for?

They were used to help short shunting engines activate track circuits more positively, mostly on the GWR or BR w region where full track circuiting was more common, they were also used to help the shunters get around bigger yards by riding on the footboards (health and safety optional) whilst providing space to store shunters poles and lamps.

Hornby could do with something clever on the control front, my money would go on a super simple DCC system, combining the software approach of rail master into a single touch screen controller, or an app for mobile/ tablets, with a base station. A bit like the Roco Z21 but with less features to put it in at under £300. The base station could also be used for Scalextric. You could have a Dynamis type set to replace the select then the full system to replace the elite, as Hornby make many DCC fitted and sound locos this would seem a good long term goal. Investment is probably an issue for this though.

Well if I can predict this weeks lottery numbers with this level of accuracy I could afford everything Hornby are offering this year! Well done Hornby, good spread of products and a UK answer to the app based DCC controllers from the continent.

• RMweb Premium

What the CAD diagram does not fully show is the undercut. I have a late-model Maunsell BCK (i.e. the high-window one from Imperial Airways) and the pull-push driving coach in front of me. I can see that the pull-push vehicle vents are maybe very, very slightly closer in to the roof - but in terms of their general appearance and their shape they are identical. However, I can see with a bright light throught the windows that there is a hole in the roof underneath each vent - but it is a hole, i.e. no sign of a locating pin, so that may well be where the injection takes place. I am not minded to take the pull-push coach to pieces, I'm afraid!

Oh, go on, you know you want to....or post them over to me and I'll look after them for you....

Anyway done talking about clever or not clever vents. I just get this feeling that having spent ages drooling over a massive 'taste the difference' pork pie I'm going to be served something from the value range...more than happy if this isn't the case.

The Mk1s absolutely blow me away. Why on earth didn't Hornby choose the BSO this time instead of the BSK ? I'm certain even the most hardened Bachmannite would acquire a new BSO or two from this range, but why bother buying yet more of the same design when the competitive edge will almost certainly be taken by the guys from Barwell.

You'll notice that all three are compartment stock as well. I suspect this trench is directly replacing the trainset items (CK and BSK) from before, adding the SK for variety, but I suspect your "average" steam based trainset purchaser is looking for compartment stock because it's "old fashioned" rather than the open stock he sees everyday on his commute to work. Next year's additions may then be BSO, TSO and RMB (take some common aspects and iterate a bit) OR perhaps the new chassis has been designed in such a way that it will also take the old MK1 sides and roofs for the items it's not worth doing an initial full retool on (RMB and SLE...). Hopefully these will have a CCM + NEM socket installed (or the option to have one, and bogies being tooled so that they can either have a bogie mounted NEM socket or clearance for a CCM).

Archived