Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I was spectacularly wrong yet again in my predictions yet again but what was announced certainly made up for it. P2 and DOG for me, two of my favourite steam locos of all time. Happy days. Large logo Grid too to fit in my main interest period too and the Sentinel should find a use for me.

The Star is growing on me too. Good god, struck by kettle lust, what's happening to me!?!

Nice one Hornby.

What I'm liking most is that Railroad is starting to get a proper identity rather than a mere dumping ground for cast offs from the former main range.

The Titfield Thunderbolt is exactly the way to do an inspired (licensed) trainset. Perhaps the Thomas sets should see a simlar revamp (include a DVD that the set was inspired by).

• RMweb Gold

Overall the steam loco choices seem to be very 'poll result' led and it will be interesting to see how some of them fare commercially, especially the P2 and the 'Hall' with the latter being directly up against the Bachmann example (and this being something of a puzzle as far as I'm concerned although Hornby did one, badly, years ago of course)

I think I'm right in saying that Hornby's Harry Potter licencing deal with Warner Bros expired last year. The appearance of a 'Hall' now - and in trade marked Hogwarts red at that - suggests that the licence has been renewed and the 'Hall' has been tooled up to replace the ex-Dapol 'Castle'. As Bachmann have upgraded the ex-Replica modified 'Hall' which they used to use in their American Harry Potter train sets, it may well be that they were not in a position to renew their licence and that Hornby has now acquired global rights. In any case, with Harry Potter theme parks popping up all over the world this appears to be a very shrewd move on Hornby's part, especially as it has the added long-term benefit of producing a starter set 4-6-0 to replace the 'Castle' and B12.

• RMweb Premium

Must admit that it's leaving me a tad puzzled - I thought that the Maunsell torpedo vents were beautiful on their coaches. Their plug in nature made them recyclable when doing conversions. To see them replaced with a moulded blob is a retrograde step in my eyes.

Point 1 Hornby are in the business of producing complete models not individual parts thus making detail removable is not in their interest - It simply makes things more expensive to produce

Point (2) How many railway modelers winge every year about rising prices? Fact - costs are going up so either we modelers fork out more money or we put up with sensible compromises that do not greatly affect the end result - molded vents being an obvious example (though I do share some peoples concern about how DoG could - not will please note -turn out compared to the Britannia model).

• RMweb Gold

What's condecending about my post? My point is nothing from the release list would fit into a post-privatisation layout, fact.

What's the point in a thread discussing the list if you can't say anything negative, it's just a big Hornby love-in otherwise.

They have a brand new re-tooled 67, not even one relivery. Surely the royal ones would sell well, I don't personally want one but thinking from a sales point of view.

If you check to see the PDF Andy provided a link for you will see the 67 does get two new liveries. Check these things out before you jump in with both feet.

• RMweb Premium

What's condecending about my post? My point is nothing from the release list would fit into a post-privatisation layout, fact.

What's the point in a thread discussing the list if you can't say anything negative, it's just a big Hornby love-in otherwise.

They have a brand new re-tooled 67, not even one relivery. Surely the royal ones would sell well, I don't personally want one but thinking from a sales point of view.

I think the point was that Andy Y had specifically asked folk not to post "nothing for me" type posts. If you read through the posts so far I don't think it is a Hornby Love-in, certainly I and others have questioned the Design Clever approach. But this wasn't a nothing for my small world type post.

• RMweb Premium

Seeing this makes me wish I could go back to my OO days - cracking releases and some I certainly would have had. Even caters for post privatisation in a way by allowing a steam special headed by DoG or one of the A4's - lovely.

I did ask for no posts (as it's irrelevant to everyone else what you don't want as much as what someone else wants is irrelevant to you) saying exactly what you said. Keep arguing and you won't be able to access the site.

Lets just say interesting. The p2 Iwould have thought would be in streamlined form, and the 8p was not a suprise. Not much for modern modellers this year, although the sentinal is unexpected, and very welcome.

The 2 bil has been suggested for years, so it is welcome, but how do you get to call something modern image model when it was built by the southern railway, before some steam locos like the 9f?

The only thing I personally am disapointed not to see would be a pep family of units. They would have worked well with the design clever that Hornby are bringing out. On the subject of design clever, I will withhold judgement until I can compair them in the flesh, but it does sound good for those people who like to go to extream superdetail models to have a identical dimetioned model to work with at a cheaper price.

As a BR(W) BLT modeller, the only thing that may get me to open my wallet is the ex LMS CCT - but I'm glad others are happy.

Mr Kohler wanted suggestions for the future. How about creating a new market? Hornby have already done this with their M7, T9 and Maunsell coaches which have prompted a lot of ex LSWR layouts. Similarly, the SR EMUs have resulted in a lot of SR 3rd rail layouts, which the 2 BIL will encourage.

Bachmann have introduced (or are introducing) quite a few pre grouping locos, but in isolation. The Wainwright C, the LYR 2-4-2T etc are nice models and some examples did wander out of the native areas (eg GW and GE locos in Scotland), but by and large, most pre grouping locos were fairly localised even in BR days. If I wanted to build, say, an ex SECR or an ex LYR layout in either the grouping or nationalisation periods, then a solitary example of a suitable class wont encourage me to do so.

I wouldn't necessarily want to model the erstwhile GER, but a J15 and say either an F 2-4-2T or an N7 would go well with the LNER coaches Hornby has already produced and their B12, B17, B1 and L1 models. There are, of course, other pre group railways ...

Just a thought ...

David C

• RMweb Premium

Point 1 Hornby are in the business of producing complete models not individual parts thus making detail removable is not in their interest - It simply makes things more expensive to produce

Point (2) How many railway modelers winge every year about rising prices? Fact - costs are going up so either we modelers fork out more money or we put up with sensible compromises that do not greatly affect the end result - molded vents being an obvious example (though I do share some peoples concern about how DoG could - not will please note -turn out compared to the Britannia model).

Agreed, Hornby are a business and need to make money. We want cheaper models.

The point I was making was that it was a retrograde step in terms of quality on something I thought was very, very good - better than any white metal version. I can completely understand why they are doing it, I just mourn the loss of such a beautiful bit of finishing which lifted the quality of original models. The fact they were removable and reusable was a bonus to me not a reason for Hornby doing them that way. I hope we're not seeing a return to moulded handrails too.

As far as I am concerned this set of releases is going to hurt my wallet big time in a way that previous years haven't.

The Sentinel will be a winner for the industrial hardcore amongst us and is a pleasant change from reliveried 06s, and with the 2 BIL just outside my office window, I shall have to indulge. The Star and Titfield Thunderbolt sets are just lovely and make me want to go and pre-order things already!

An excellent year, and I know others who will fall instantly for the Duke and P2, the former is particularly spectacular.

I can't say I am overawed with the prospect of "Design Clever" if it means more moulded detail and less separate fitted parts. One of the reasons Hornby's recent Maunsell and Gresley coaching stock is so popular is due to such attention to detail. As for the pipework on the Duke of Gloucester I only hope it looks better in the flesh, the CAD drawings look like piped icing.

On the plus side it does means less fragile models and as such fewer returns to the manufacturer due to damage in transit!

Big thumbs up for the GWR shunter's truck, I can finally retire my 40 year old Severn Tunnel Junction model. Hopefully the toolbox will be easy to remove so the depot name can be changed.

Some lovely surprises there - not least the Collett style Hall which in 'main range' guise should sit nicely alongside the existing Castle and Grange. And as for the Star, what a great choice for so many reasons - I can see lots of Kenneth Leech books and photos coming out of the woodwork when this hits the shelves and it'll really look the part heading a rake of blood and custard Hawksworth stock.

The CCT and Blue Spot Fish Van are very welcome items and it'll be interesting to see how the retooled Mk1 coaches will turn out (I certainly didn't see that one coming!).

The Sentinel is a masterstroke and deserves to be something we'll see in the Hornby catalogue for many years to come.

The 2-BIL isn't much 'use' to me but looking at those photographs posted by Andy I want one!

With everything else on that list I think there's a lot to look forward to for a fair old number of folk ;-)

I'm now wondering what to do with the pile of unbuilt Kirk 2-Bils I've acquired. The Bil looks very good - they appear to have catered for the different buffers fitted to the various batches of these units. I just hope the underframe trussing isn't too fragile - they look a bit wonky on the SR sample in the photo.

The fish van is a good choice as well as it's not currently available as a kit. I'll have a few of those as well.

Hmm there is that 'Churchward beat' track plan I have saved on Anyrail... so maybe. DOG now means that all the standards are accounted for, and I think I'll go for it, thought I do want to challenge myself with the kit. I would dearly like the great gathering collection, I don't really need a P2. However I would like to see a major have the courage to attempt the Thompsons.

Archived