Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

A few interesting new items in there but with a good sprinkling of "same old in different colours" as well which is only to be expected as (a) there appears to be the demand and (B) the tools must be fully utilised and as much made from them as possible.

Two highlights stand out for me. One is the 2Bil which has been whispered about here and there for a while - as much because others haven't done it as anything - and the other is my now fully justified decision to hold off on the Brighton Belle until the Pullman SYP version was announced. Suffice to say more than one of each will find its way here in due course.

May I be the first to say that I don't remember 2Bil horns angled down like that? ;) And also a typo in that 2090, not 2080, is the NRM preserved example.

• RMweb Gold

Damn! Wrong blasted Cock O' The North*... Maybe next year we can have 87022 instead? :blum:

Very pleased with the Sentinal, that fits right in to Ravensclyffe as well as the LL 56.

Andi

*Edit: Did Andy Y have to tweak the profanity filter for this release???

• RMweb Premium

Can someone explain to me how Design Clever (with its moulded on pipework and vents) differs from the way Triang and Lima used to design models in the 60s, 70s and 80s?

Must admit that it's leaving me a tad puzzled - I thought that the Maunsell torpedo vents were beautiful on their coaches. Their plug in nature made them recyclable when doing conversions. To see them replaced with a moulded blob is a retrograde step in my eyes.

Interesting selection to say the least. The industrial shunter is a very canny move to my mind. Something that is instantly trainsetable, fills a niche and is just cute as anything :)

The Hall is a little surprising (given it's in direct competition with Bachmann) but not unwelcome especially with its Railroad version, and there's quite a few boxes ticked off of the polls from the last few years.

New MK1s though - interesting to see what those turn out like, though could this be the start of Hornby getting its act together with a standard set of MK1 components it could build into a variety of subjects (EMUs and DMUs included)?

• RMweb Gold

Not so sure on this design clever business

While it looks fine on the coaches with the moulded vents, it looks very crude in the cad drawings for the duke vs separate bits on the Brit

Made worse by Hornby's livery choices, with only be modellers getting a detailed hall and gw getting stuck with railroad...

Will be interesting to see how it compares with bachmanns (surely a manor would have been a better choice? Though I guess the railroad sales of the Harry potter loco will have been the driving force behind it...)

The star will be very welcome, and looking at the photos it's going to be hard to resist that 2 bil

The addition of a very reasonably priced sentenal also looks a very tempting loco for when I dig out the old clay layout.

• RMweb Gold

Quite a wow factor there - ie if there isn't something there for someone, they must be modelling something pretty esoteric. It certainly looks like Hornby is listening AND acting.

Also nice to see the elctronic stuff which hopefully will attract younger (and young at heart) modellers. All my lifetime the death of railway modelling amongst teens has been announced, and it's always bounced back. These gizmos certainly look to have young(er) appeal.

I thought Tornado was in standard Express blue, not one of the experimental versions.

Hats off for the bold P2 though - and the other version fish van and LMS CCT. The Sentinel makes a great deal of sense as a 'train set' model with the simple chassis and many real liveries, let alone the make believe ones as well.

What a dissapointment, a couple of shunters I've never seen, some EMU that's only relevant to one area of the country and a large logo 56 pretty much make up the modern image releases. Save me some money anyway!

What a condescending tone, and rather confused message if you don't mind me saying; although you may have missed something in the announcement - you missed this invisible ink, after all:

Please note irrelevant 'nothing in there for me' type posts will just get deleted in due course.

Must admit that it's leaving me a tad puzzled - I thought that the Maunsell torpedo vents were beautiful on their coaches. Their plug in nature made them recyclable when doing conversions. To see them replaced with a moulded blob is a retrograde step in my eyes.

I think the main reason that Hornby are heading tin this direction is that tooling is to a much higher standard and the application of separate fittings is now getting very expensive being highly labour intensive - hence the idea of making changes at the design stage to avoid a large price hike for the consumer.

Moulded roof vents can be a godsend if using the roof for other purposes as they can be filed off. An example would be fitting new etched sides to expand the range of coaches.

What a condescending tone, and rather confused message if you don't mind me saying; although you may have missed something in the announcement - you missed this invisible ink, after all:

I did delete the message but you beat me to it. ;) Hornby 2014 range includes crystal ball. ;)

• RMweb Gold

How very decent of them to honour the Titfield Thunderbolt film anniversary like that. I think that's a lovely touch.

The Sentinel is indeed a canny move, and there are potentially lots of livery options for the future.

I've also seen the first bit of rolling stock that I'll be buying myself, purely to run on the Balcombe Viaduct layout!

The Sentinel is definitely an interesting choice and could open up further industrial releases, so great to see Hornby dipping their toe in the water. Also great to see some clearer definitiion between what constitutes Railroad and main brand, hopefully a sign for a clearer future direction and longer term some replacement of 1970's moulds with lower spec 2010's spec models.

Well, some very pleasant surprises for me: Wellington Castle, The Star Class in GWR livery and the shunter's truck. It's pity that the Grange and the Hall are only in BR livery (but, hey, that's what the airbrush is for) although I do note a Railroad range Hall in GWR livery. The SR BIL looks seriously tasty (and, for my wallet's sake, thank goodness well out of my layout's catchment area).

Coaching stock is less helpful for my needs. It's certainly a bold move for Hornby to take on Bachmann's well regarded Mk1s. And that will be an interesting head-to-head comparison. But there is still a gaping hole for prewar GWR coaching stock to modern standards.

Freight rolling stock is so not well served, methinks. The quality of the Skaledale Hagley Station and Hagley Station footbridge may make me re-evaluate my "no RTP" policy (given my disappointment over the Bachmann effort at a GWR footbridge).

Interesting how they are taking new technology on board.

As I had predicated, this years announcement was a mixture of "looking forward to that" "not for me" and "blast, another year without X"

Overall, a nice mixture.

• RMweb Gold

And we thought that we were running out of stuff "to do" in 4mm RTR.

Well done Hornby, a very innovative range.

Slightly puzzled why the Hall when I expected a retooled King, especially considering Bachmann's model.

I will certainly be getting the large logo 56.

Neil

Archived