Hornby's 2013 Announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

So definately no slowing down on the production of new models then...

The 2-BIL is certainly good to see. Presumably the NRM one will have the yellow warning panel whereas the standard release BR(S) version will be all-over green as in the pictures? (Why can't Hornby use three quarter views???). I was amused to see that it is called Modern Image...

The Class 56 in Large Logo blue is also welcome.

I had hoped that Hornby would review the list of delayed models from the beginning of the year and drop some - reinstatement of double chimney Penrice Castle is a disappointment instead of a single chimney version.

Lots of A4s is to be expected, but isn't three versions of Mallard in LNER livery a bit much? the Great A4 Gathering Edition, the Flight of the Mallard train set and the presumably Railroad version. Let's also hope they don't mess up the Dominion of Canada version in the Coronation LNER livery. The pre-production (?) model shown with the others in the cabinet looks like the number and lettering are both oversized as on the current release Commonwealth of Australia.

The new railreoad mark 1s is a good idea. The old versions were really well past their sell by date and Hornby has cleverly avoided competing directly with Bachmann. Will the price differential be sufficient I wonder, when some of the Bachmann Mk1s are heavily discounted? But it does mean a new but cheaper to produce Mk1 for inclusion in train sets, which may be one of Hornby's reasons for doing them.

But overall I'm positive about the range - and very pleased to read that new suppliers means some will appear before the delayed stuff from 2011/2012.

Having had more to to absorb the news, Hornby is definitely not Bachmann. Hornby re-uses innapropriate pony trucks and whole chassis from previous models instead of going the whole mile like its competitor, and as for the return to moulded handrail Triang technology, no amount of 'clever technology' buzzwords disguises what is essentially a retro-move in anyones language.

• RMweb Premium

Hopefully the Industrial loco will have a decent chassis and gear ratio for slow shunting - unlike the old 'Smokey Joe' 0-4-0 which shot off like a scalded cat - then I can see a market for conversion kits or replacement bodies for use in 7mm Narrow Gauge - sorry if that upsets anyone who loves the Sentinel as it is . . . !

Mike

After the Olympic debacle, I do also wonder how many people are going to spend over £1000 on A4s!

There is going to be confusion caused by identical prototypes modelled to two different specifications. Will be interesting to see if this lasts - I don't think it will, and I think we will see more 'Railroad only' models like the A1 in time.

Far more interesting to me than the rolling stock announcements is the iPhone app for DCC. I hope it is as good as it has the potential to be, with the intrinsic benefits of being a mass-market product from a sizeable supplier.

What an utterly delightful collection; really made me smile.

Can I claim bragging rights as the only person (I think) to speculate that Hornby would do new Mk1s? I can't claim too much since my thinking went in a different direction: I have stopped buying their train packs if they include their current Mk1s since the quality of them is so low in relation to the high standards of the locos. The mis-match is just too obvious for me. I figured if I was thinking this, maybe some others were too. And the Mk1s are so fundamental to having a plausible range. This is not to denigrate the "need" for other coaching stock, of course.

Am completely thrilled with the 2Bil. Along with many others I've been speculating for years that this would be produced. I've always loved the ancient model, so to have a version up to modern standards is a real pleasure. I can't even think about how many of these I might end up buying in a mad collector frenzy. The images make it look very, very attractive.

The P2 and DoG were surprises, but feel so right for Hornby. I'm guessing the P2 has been "cleverly designed" to enable an A4-style front end for later versions? Although like some others I share the nervousness about what "design clever" really means - I would much rather have less of some very high quality than lots of merely medium quality.

The Sentinel is a brilliant addition to the offer.

And, like many others, I'm also very pleased to see how Railroad is developing as a separate range.

There is so much in here I want to gush over. Well done, Hornby!

Paul

Interesting set of items. Hornby do like their big steam engines don't they! Not sure on this smart design either, the moulded detail on DoG does seem a bit of a backwards step. That 2-Bil does look very good and it's interesting that that they're doing a Sentinel. Perhaps it will pave the way for more industrial types which many people seem to want. It's good that they seem to have chosen the later BR type of fish van rather than the earlier one that Parkside do.

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, Hornby are a business and need to make money. We want cheaper models.

The point I was making was that it was a retrograde step in terms of quality on something I thought was very, very good - better than any white metal version. I can completely understand why they are doing it, I just mourn the loss of such a beautiful bit of finishing which lifted the quality of original models. The fact they were removable and reusable was a bonus to me not a reason for Hornby doing them that way. I hope we're not seeing a return to moulded handrails too.

Hopefully thats were the 'clever' bit comes in. Some things like roof vents and conduit lends itself to being molded, handrails (which stand clear of the body structure) do not. Again sprung buffers are not that essential for 99% of modelers (providing the molding is correct) but a molded on coupling hook or vac pipes will allways look wrong.

Lets wait and see. Certainly were 'clever design' that has been used so far hasn't meant a worse model - though thats no guarantee of the future of course

Hi Simon

If you read this, thank-you for the FGW MK3's. You know it makes sense :) . I didn't see anything about stone platforms for the NE Skaledale range, though with so many new products I may have missed it.

Thanks and good luck in 2013

Regards

Kal

That's a mighty impressive line up.

The Sentinal is the most impressive for me. Now we have a decent industrial shunter.

Am I reading that right we are only getting 3 pole motors even for the top end loco's. Shame if so I always thought the 5 pole skew wound was one of the best RTR motors.

DOG now means that all the standards are accounted for

Not quite, I don't think anyone has announced a 77000 standard 3 2-6-0 yet.

DoG puts the final nail in my unstarted loco drive Golden Arrow version, and the P2 is quite tempting in some ways.

Nice to see something a bit different in the sentinel though

Mike

Clarification please Ref to 2 BIL

RMWeb states

SR Olive Green = R3161X

BR Version = R3177

NRM version = Code, Price & Availability TBC

Graham Muzpratts site states

SR Olive Green = R3161

BR Version = R3162

NRM version = R3177

Who is correct please ??

Looks like a decent spread of new items for folk to look forward to, as well as things like the re-issue of the GSYP Brush 2 which should go down well.

Like a few of the previous comments, my initial reaction to "design clever" - ie back to moulded on bits, was pretty negative, but in all fairness we need to see what they look like in the flesh. Whether we like it or not, the 10-15 year period of low cost / high value for money products from the Far East is drawing to a close. That change will affect most aspects of our consumption, and overall living standards, not just model trains, so we'd better get used to it!

John.

Having had more to to absorb the news, Hornby is definitely not Bachmann. Hornby re-uses innapropriate pony trucks and whole chassis from previous models instead of going the whole mile like its competitor, and as for the return to moulded handrail Triang technology, no amount of 'clever technology' buzzwords disguises what is essentially a retro-move in anyones language.

Hate to say it, Larry, Bachmann have released a new model ALCO diesel in the 'States this past quarter with some moulded handrails.....

best, Pete.

Well done to Hornby although nothing for me as a 7mm man now, but what a programme of release not least the EMU Class 2 - BIL.That should fly off the shelves. Class L1 BR No.67777. with Early Emblem would have expected the Late Crest as they normally sell better,but with the two earliest BR ones of this Class R2913 Early Emblem & R2914 Late Crest it seemed as though R2913 Early Emblem was the first one to sell out.Therefore it looks as though Hornby have studied there previous sales information and made an informed choice.Obviously the Duke & P2 should be popular as will most of the new Goods vehicles.What can anyone say about the MK1's, other than about time.Some great design ideas that should enable prices to be kept to a level that will makepurchases viable whilst retaining the quality of most of their recent releases.

Well Done to Hornby and Good Luck with this brave move. :good: :good:

A somewhat strange assortment to my mind.

I don't understand doing a "Hall" when Bachmann have been producing theirs for some time (so an intended duplication). The Star is very nice (but wouldn't you know it I converted an Airfix castle last year into "Glastonbury Abbey").

The 2 BIL was widely speculated and looks very nice as does the new small diesel - especially given the limited number of diesels that haven't yet been done.

I also don't understand the new Mark 1 coaches - but I suppose they will be cheaper than Bachmanns.

It does look to me like rather a slim year - although I haven't been able to see the whole range on Hornby's website yet

• RMweb Premium

And where have molded handrails been used in the super detail main range? Tornado was explicitly made for the railroad market - something Hornby did not deny and had less about clever design than cashing in on a popular model and undercutting Bachmann. I agree DoG could suffer in some areas though but as with much in life it depends on the application not the principal.

And I make the point would you, and everyone else forecasting the death of fine modeling, say hand on heart 'yes I will pay the extra £30 / £40 /£50 quid to keep things as they are'.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite, I don't think anyone has announced a 77000 standard 3 2-6-0 yet.

DoG puts the final nail in my unstarted loco drive Golden Arrow version

True, although I have plans to do my own 77xxx which will of course guarantee that BM with do one ;)

You have time to get your Golden Arrow version finished before Hornby get theirs over on the boat :)

I'm in agreement with coachmann here. I've always felt the attention to detail on Hornby locos set them above there competitor. To possibly see this disappearing is a shame. Nobody really minded with Tornado. If you wanted super detail on 60163, you bought the Bachmann model. With a P2 or DoG this isn't possible.

I can't help but feel the exquisite detail on the likes of the B1 and L1 may become a thing of the past. On the other hand it's easy to forget we are a small section of the hobby that craves these details. It may mean we just have to do a bit of extra bit of modelling, which is what we are isn't it, modellers. ;)

RMWeb states

SR Olive Green = R3161X

BR Version = R3177

SR Olive Green = R3161

BR Version = R3162

NRM version = R3177

Who is correct please ??

Graham is; I'd made a copy and paste error which has now been corrected.

- and the other is my now fully justified decision to hold off on the Brighton Belle until the Pullman SYP version was announced. Suffice to say more than one of each will find its way here in due course.

I haven't been able to get onto the B-R-L or Hornby sites to see exactly what is offered, but this is a positive step and I probably will now get one to modify. The SYP adds another few years to the 'windows' covered, but there is still a big gap in the middle of the two available options. I can't tell from the artwork what the bogies are on the new release, other than there only seems to be one power bogie, dummy or otherwise. Hopefully there is also a trailer car with just "CAR NO. ??" without the "THIRD CLASS".

The 2BIL was widely rumoured and is very welcome. As for the Kirk kits, we will probably just have to keep them separate unless we can miraculously build them to the same standard!

LMS CCT is also very welcome - can't have enough NPCS vehicles I'm afraid!

• RMweb Premium

RMWeb states

SR Olive Green = R3161X

BR Version = R3177

SR Olive Green = R3161

BR Version = R3162

NRM version = R3177

Who is correct please ??

I think we can safely assume that the Hornby version (as quoted by Andy in Post 1) is correct namely R3161 = SR / R3162 = BR and R3177 = NRM's 2090.

Archived