Model Rail Scotland 2013

davefrk

Just to add, thanks to my "co operator" Jan she mad some interesting moves, on the layout, by the end of the weekend, she was nearly competent at running round a passenger train.

Hi,

I had a great conversation with Jan on the Saturday whilst she was operating her Class 37 over her points - she will understand :-)

Loved the layout, respect.

es gruesst

PC

• RMweb Premium

I think to an extent I would agree with the"mixed bag" comment, but I find that part of the charm of the show. Its not all Pendonesque type layouts , although there were a number of very good quality layouts there. It shows Model railways can appeal to all capabilities.

Sorry, I've misled you (and Gary) with the phrase "mixed bag".  I wasn't really referring to the layouts, which I thought were by and large of a decent show standard with some outstanding ones, but to my enjoyment of the day which was a "mixed bag" in that I enjoyed some aspects of it but not others - the bit I didn't enjoy was the confusing (to me) set-up of the hall with which I became really rather fed up and was the cause of my early departure.  Glasgow, of course, is not the only show "guilty" of this - Perth last year was the same.  I suppose most people must like it like that and maybe "big" shows are just not for me.  I know that Falkirk's much smaller but nevertheless I enjoyed it more - for me the general ambiance was better.

Yes, I did buy a show guide.  It was pretty substantial and ideally I should have taken some time out to leave the hall and find somewhere to sit down quietly and go through it, marking off the things I wanted to see.  Unfortunately I didn't - I only managed to read it thoroughly on the train going back home.  Nice though the guide was, a more basic one might in fact have been more helpful on the day.

DT

• RMweb Gold

the bit I didn't enjoy was the confusing (to me) set-up of the hall with which I became really rather fed up and was the cause of my early departure. 

DT

Hi Torper,

With reference to the edited quote above...

As one of the organising team I'd like to hear suggestions about how you would have organised the hall?

The hall was split into 3 sections with Stand numbers beginning A, B and C.

Each stand had a Stand Number

The guide had a floor plan

The guide had an exhibitor list in both alphabetic and Stand number order

So - tell us how you would have done it to make it 'less confusing'?

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

So - tell us how you would have done it to make it 'less confusing'?

Fair comment - I am ever mindful of the saying that those who can, do, those who can't, criticise.  You've produced a show and it's up to me to constructively justify my comments.

The hall was arranged in blocks A, B and C.  Each block contained up to nine or so miniblocks, and each of these contained anything from one to ten stands, each of which bore a number that was not always clearly or uniformly displayed. As I type i'm looking at the hall plan in the guide, and I can see how it has been done, but I can also see how i became confused - stand B6, for example, is next to B47, stand B2 next to B55, stand C9 next to C16, and there are other similar examples.  To take an example, if I wished to get from, say, stand B47 to stand B26, I'd turn right at B47, go past B6, turn left into the aisle, pass an aisle to the left, go past stand B8, and then turn left at B9 and find B26 next to it.  It could be argued that that is logical from the block system employed, but I found it difficult on the ground.  Instead of these blocks I would have found numbered aisles much easier. If numbered (or lettered) aisles were used, stand numbers would run consecutively along the aisles, and at the end of each aisle there would be a big letter or number showing which aisle it is.  I'd also have found it helpful if it had been made clear on the plan which was the front of the hall and which the back - it seems stupid now, but I really was quite disorientated sometimes!

You quite correctly point out that there was a guide with a floor plan, but I had to fork out an extra £3 on top of my £10 entrance fee to get one.  Might I echo Legend's suggestion that everyone who buys a ticket should get at least a basic floor plan and list of exhibitors?

I'd also much prefer to see layouts, traders and societies separated.  Thus you'd have, say, aisles 1 - 3 with layouts, 4 - 5 with traders and 6 with societies, etc.  I tend to go to shows with a shopping list and to satisfy that I'd find it much easier if i could go to the traders section and browse their offerings, without being distracted by layouts.  Having made my purchases, I'd then like to move on and concentrate on the layouts without finding them sandwiched between traders.  As things were at Glasgow, and indeed most other shows, all were jumbled up together and indeed I missed some layouts that I would have liked to have seen and probably would have done had there been a specific Layout section of the hall.  Having said that, I can see that the traders might not like that idea as they probably rely to a considerable extent on impulse buys from people who may be passing them on the way to a layout.

DT

Fair comment - I am ever mindful of the saying that those who can, do, those who can't, criticise.  You've produced a show and it's up to me to constructively justify my comments.

The hall was arranged in blocks A, B and C.  Each block contained up to nine or so miniblocks, and each of these contained anything from one to ten stands, each of which bore a number that was not always clearly or uniformly displayed. As I type i'm looking at the hall plan in the guide, and I can see how it has been done, but I can also see how i became confused - stand B6, for example, is next to B47, stand B2 next to B55, stand C9 next to C16, and there are other similar examples.  To take an example, if I wished to get from, say, stand B47 to stand B26, I'd turn right at B47, go past B6, turn left into the aisle, pass an aisle to the left, go past stand B8, and then turn left at B9 and find B26 next to it.  It could be argued that that is logical from the block system employed, but I found it difficult on the ground.  Instead of these blocks I would have found numbered aisles much easier. If numbered (or lettered) aisles were used, stand numbers would run consecutively along the aisles, and at the end of each aisle there would be a big letter or number showing which aisle it is.  I'd also have found it helpful if it had been made clear on the plan which was the front of the hall and which the back - it seems stupid now, but I really was quite disorientated sometimes!

You quite correctly point out that there was a guide with a floor plan, but I had to fork out an extra £3 on top of my £10 entrance fee to get one.  Might I echo Legend's suggestion that everyone who buys a ticket should get at least a basic floor plan and list of exhibitors?

I'd also much prefer to see layouts, traders and societies separated.  Thus you'd have, say, aisles 1 - 3 with layouts, 4 - 5 with traders and 6 with societies, etc.  I tend to go to shows with a shopping list and to satisfy that I'd find it much easier if i could go to the traders section and browse their offerings, without being distracted by layouts.  Having made my purchases, I'd then like to move on and concentrate on the layouts without finding them sandwiched between traders.  As things were at Glasgow, and indeed most other shows, all were jumbled up together and indeed I missed some layouts that I would have liked to have seen and probably would have done had there been a specific Layout section of the hall.  Having said that, I can see that the traders might not like that idea as they probably rely to a considerable extent on impulse buys from people who may be passing them on the way to a layout.

DT

Its very much a personal thing, but as a trader I very much prefer a mix of layouts & traders as at most shows, we once went to Chatham years ago and they split the hall into layouts (Half) and Traders (Other Half) and it was a disaster, bang on 10.00 the rush swamped the trade area, the layout area was empty.  It was most unpleasant as we had pushing and lots of complaints about narrow alleyways (6ft wide ones!)

Glasgow is a large show similar to Warley, I much prefer the smaller events for talking to the customers and giving them some time, but Glasgow does well withing the constraints of the 'Health & Safety' culture we have today, the NEC in Birmingham is by far a less friendly place with too much officialdom! Last year we were told on breakdown to get our van in for 6pm on Sunday, at 6pm the gatehouse said put our van back in the car park as we were not allowed in!!!!!! That was a quarter of a mile walk there and back!     Glasgow staff are positively helpfull and not trying to make life difficult.

Once again I enjoyed Glasgow, from a trade point of view I was down on last year, from an enjoyment point of view the new steaward arrangements and planning were first rate and the show has 'that friendly warm attitude' that Warley, Ali Pali etc seem to lack.  PPS Some good layouts too!

Charlie 

• RMweb Premium

I actually didn't pay any attention to A B  or C sections, I just like poking about and exploring!  There are usually some reference points, such as the Model Rail stand  or the Coffee place , where you think Oh I've not been down there yet. I got the impression that the top part of the exhibition was arrange in rows whereas the missdle and bottom sections were more columns, if that makes sense.  To make it easier it might be better organising it all in rows. However really we are debating semantics here. It was a good show.

I prefer a layouts and retailers mix.

The only other point I,ve already made is that £3 for a programme is a bit steep and frankly I only referred to it when I got home. It might be better to have an A4 floorplan with list of exhibitors and retailers with stand number on the back

First of all, my exhibition team consisted of me and the missus.

I read up on the exhibition notes before I set foot out of the house, and from them I realised that this was going to be a bit different to anything I had done before. On my arrival, I was directed to carpark 5, and from there walked to door 3.2 (think) I reported the number of my stand to the official, and was told to follow the chap in the orange coat, who not only led me to door 3.3 but opened it, and marshalled the car into a space 6 feet from where he told me to set up. The only hold up I had was waiting for an electrician to check my electrics, but when he arrived this was done in seconds, I had, had my pat testing renewed the week before.

Breakdown, now this I could see a problem,  Glenuig fits into two creates 15” by 15” by 40” Ok a small layout, but to make sure of a quick getaway,  I had fitted the one box with wheels, the other box was placed on top along with all the rest of our junk, and wheeled the length of the hall and out to the carpark where the car was waiting.  So efficient was out getaway that I was enjoying my first pint in the George, at Inveraray 67 miles away at 19.10

A lot of hassle, for the size of the show, no not really

Gary

• RMweb Gold

I thoroughly enjoyed my first trip to Model Rail Scotland.

Sleeper up from London on Friday night (in the cheap seats!), two days "on" the DEMU stand* and back later Sunday afternoon.

Some of the layouts were really nice - Gary's Glenuig, Stirling & Clackmannanshire's Tullygarth, and Mark's Rannoch were probably my standout layouts though Alloa was excellent as well.

It certainly felt more relaxed and friendly than Warley while still being a massive undertaking.  Credit to the AMRSS and organising team who I thought did an excellent job.

It was great to catch up with friends and make some new ones. Hopefully I will make it up to Glasgow in future years.

Cheers, Mike

* some may dispute that I actually did anything useful!

Guest 40-something

I found it a better show this year than in previous years.  I was there in an exhibitor guise.  It was easy to miss traders and layouts but by taking a minute out and getting reference points, it was straightforward to find my way around, and that was without a guide.  By the end of the first day I'd located all layouts and traders.  Easier for me to take time to get my bearings as I wasnt rushed for time.

Saying that, it took me almost til the end of the first day to find possibly the biggest trade stall there!!! (Cheltenham Model Centre)

Two of my favourite layouts...

Banff 2mm

post-6924-0-72818000-1362235375_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-54567500-1362235383_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-75713800-1362235393_thumb.jpg

Fisherrow Yard 7mm

post-6924-0-14129600-1362235408_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-95032400-1362235419_thumb.jpg

post-6924-0-01532000-1362235431_thumb.jpg

The showstopper for me was Sweethome Alabama though!

Big improvement over the split from last year, and I just followed my nose.

When you are used to trying to find your wife in a big store when she is not answering her phone,

A systematic search pattern is what is needed. For this I am an expert  :)

I certainly enjoyed the show this year contained in the one hall.I agree with earlier posts over cost of £10 could come with a pamphlet (basic) of layouts.Found that a lot of stands did not seem to have numbers visible to guide me.Some of the past"niche"traders are missed by me and found lack of "O"gauge for sale.

Highlights for me included Leavesden,Glenuig,Alloa and Rannoch.Dissapointed with Caley Junction little movement though very up to date with Iphone Ipads to operate.No doubt will be back for 2014 show.

Saying that, it took me almost til the end of the first day to find possibly the biggest trade stall there!!! (Cheltenham Model Centre)

I  have had a look through the guide, which features a very nice layout on the front :no: , and  although i was at the show, for ever second of the three day, managed to miss lots of it!

Gary

Guest Natalie Graham

Big improvement over the split from last year, 

The split worked very well if you were on the ball. The trick was to get there at the start, pay to go in and leave the first hall right away and go look round the second. By the time the crush had got round the first one and moved onto the second you could go back and view the first hall without the crowds. ;)

I did what I always do at a show,wander round for the first hour and then go back to see the layouts that took my eye and have a good look at them this method has worked for me for many years.It was nice to come upon traders amongst the layouts and they were all freindly, to have them all in place would not work.Alloa was superb,the n gauge layout based in Wales was spectacular with the viaduct so expertly modeled.A couple of Scottish based layouts stood out ,Rannoch ,Glenuig terrific modeling,reliable operating with smiling operators! Glasgow is a show that is always worth making the long treck from Bucks to visit as everybody involved is so freindly and helpfull .The weather was kind as well warmer than home ,it was snowing at Milton Keynes when I arrived back .The new arena next to the venue looks like a giant tea cup and boy have they built it fast.is it for the Commenwealth Games? So keep up the good work  Glasgow you have got the mix right and I look forward to next year.

This is a long shot...
I bought an item, asked the trader for a receipt, but on getting home found it was simply a post-it note with the items description, price, and date
Had this receipt been a bit more professional I could now have been able to visit their website and make a further purchase
As I was leaving I noticed the prices on the boxes of track they had, but my wallet was empty by that time

They had a rather large stand in the middle of the left hand side (wall) / west side of the hall
From left to right, there were boxes of loose track, with further N gauge stock on the left hand side
The middle was other stock, on the right hand side were boxes of track (which I only noticed as I was leaving)
Their sign appeared to be in two halves with a Domain Name (reading something like puffer-railway.co.uk, in white on a black background)

I suspect two traders were sharing a stand, or two had recently merged

On the Friday, within this N gauge section they had about eight trays of boxed coaches and wagons
There was then a shelf on which (about three) Dapol Class 156 boxes were balanced
Next to this were several Farish locos (of which one I bought)

Any and all assistance appreciated

Hallo,

Looking at the plan it could be "Footplate" (and if not, no disrespect to anyone), which is shown as the biggest stand on the left side of the hall.

They advertise in the brochure that they would have Flangeways snow ploughs on sale and I remember a stand which fits your description did. If your memory can work out whether the snow ploughs were available, then that could be the exhibitor you are after.

Alternatively there was an exhibitor caled M&B Models which were according to the plan were next to the Paddle Steamer Preservation society (Puffer ->Clyde steamers)

No offence or disrespect to any of the traders / exhibitors mentioned if it proves that this is not the case

es grüßt

PC

Confusing question of the weekend came from a lady with a fretful young man with her, "Where is the layout with the army trains on it? It was right here last year!" I determined she must have been speaking of "Rowlands Castle". I pointed her towards the owner of said layout, Pete Goss on his stand depicting his collection figures and a taster of his next project, which I believe is named "Worlds End". In the hope he could inform her of any visits he may have in the future to "Bonny Scotland!"

I have been remiss in not thanking Ian and his staff for a wonderful weekend before now and this omission I now put right.

Guest Natalie Graham

Confusing question of the weekend came from a lady with a fretful young man with her, "Where is the layout with the army trains on it? It was right here last year!"

Could be on to something there in light of earlier comments abut people not being able to find their way around. Same layouts and stands in the same place every year would make the exhibition planners job so much easier. 

Same layouts and stands in the same place every year would make the exhibition planners job so much easier. 

But it wouldn't make it the best of exhibitions.  I used to go to local shows more frequently than I do now - one of the reasons being that I've often seen a lot of the layouts before and I'd rather see something new.

Regards

David

Archived