Model Rail Scotland 2013

davefrk

Hi all

Thanks everyone who passed by and said hi, yesterday. Day one was a bit of a mixed one, an irritating short on the loco release road, baffled and continues to baffle an electrical engineer of 33 years! and now appears to be operating without a frog feed. 

My assistant, missus, has been put in charge of entertaining the crowds a couple of time, she has "interesting" ways of doing shunts, but who am i to question her railway operating logic!

Going to try and see a bit more of the show today.

See you all,

Gary

We have just posted pictures of forthcoming releases from Hornby. Bachmann and Heljan to our Facebook page.

View them here...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.468116419921215.105733.137166846349509&type=1

If these mostly HAND PAINTED samples are anything to go by we are in for a very good summer!

Rich

I did intend to pop up to the show today but the baby has had me up all night. Think I'll just order some stuff and have a quiet day at home. Can we have more images up. If anyone is running 303's, 314 EMU's can someone be kind enough to put some pics or a video up. I'd be ever so greatfull.

If anyone can name layouts running the iconic 303 I'll try and catch it in the circuit later in the year.

Many, many thanks,

Mark

Rannoch (Mark), I've still to see this in the flesh. I missed its debut due to family member passing. Where else are you showing it this year Mark?

I didn't see any Scottish EMU or Electric locos
However, plenty of Scottish diesel-electric locos

Spent five hours yesterday
Picked up two bargains, haggled over both of them, and didn't haggle ove the third as I suspect the price label was wrong

Picked up my order from Shawplan (no discount)
Sadly got it home and noticed two discrepancies, but that is not an issue as one of them was my own fault

Rather disappointed by the Bachmann stand, with no Class 37/4 as 37407 in Large Logo Blue which is imminent for release
However, the Mark 2A/B coaches look impressive and will fill a gap on my rolling stock list

On a final walk around the traders I noticed a box of track for £65, which is normally £85
Sadly the wallet was empty
I might return on Sunday, discuss the error with Shawplan and pickup the box of track

I did intend to pop up to the show today but the baby has had me up all night. Think I'll just order some stuff and have a quiet day at home. Can we have more images up. If anyone is running 303's, 314 EMU's can someone be kind enough to put some pics or a video up. I'd be ever so greatfull.

If anyone can name layouts running the iconic 303 I'll try and catch it in the circuit later in the year.

Unfortunately, no layouts running 303s or 314s - there's only a couple of layouts that I can think of running them. Auchinraith was one that has appeared in the past.

I usually have some 303s/311s/318s/320s on the Scottish Modellers demo stand but didn't bring them this year!

Andy 8)

• RMweb Premium

Great show. Well done to all involved. To me Leavesden stole it with its exhaust blasting diesels and prototypical operation, even though I'm not really a Network South East fan. I also liked Stainmore Summit with the track layout and the need for banking locos turn into pilots at the summit explained to me. Lots of layouts of interest . The Signal Box seemed to have some bargains. 2-8-0 and 2bils on the Hornby stand but none for sale.

A great couple of days out!

:boast: Hi all

Thanks everyone who passed by and said hi, yesterday. Day one was a bit of a mixed one, an irritating short on the loco release road, baffled and continues to baffle an electrical engineer of 33 years! and now appears to be operating without a frog feed. 

My assistant, missus, has been put in charge of entertaining the crowds a couple of time, she has "interesting" ways of doing shunts, but who am i to question her railway operating logic!

See you all,

Gary

:boast: Hi all

See you all,

Gary

Hi Gary,

It was a pleasure speaking to you and Janet on Friday and seeing 'Glenuig ' in the flesh, for me it was one of the highlights of the show - simply 'stunning' modelling. The fact that you made the front page ( and the middle ) of the show programme says it all. I hope the rest of the weekend went well and hope you enjoy the rest of your visit to ' Bonnie Scotland '. Oh - and well done the lads at Murrayfield by the way! :boast:.

Bill.

PS. I have already been offered £5 for my signed copy of the prog! :no: .

Backwaterscotland (Andy),

It's a pitty that such an iconic loco usually has a poor showing at the show, particularly when it covered so many decades and a few liveries.

I'd love to see a layout every year at the show depicting the local areas where they ran. I'm aware 303's are only available in kit form, which im sure that this is the reason for very few layouts running them. May be Bachmann will surprise us and release a model of one (probably not in my lifetime).

All the best,

Mark

Hi again all,

Well what a long weekend that was, and I am now in the George hotel at Inverary, trying to forget the drive home tomorrow. The weather up here today has been stunning, so I could not resist a drive up over Rannoch and Glen Coe, I did call in at Bridge of Orchy station, and Glenuig was still packed up in the car, so my last modelling project, met, my new modelling prototype!.

Thanks go to the teem for inviting me, and Ian and the team need a good pat on the back, it must be a nightmare to put a show on at the SECC, and i would love to return in the future.

And here's me, Glenuig and the said guide

Gary

post-7480-0-71964900-1361827366_thumb.jpg

Guest jim s-w

We have just posted pictures of forthcoming releases from Hornby. Bachmann and Heljan to our Facebook page.

View them here...

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.468116419921215.105733.137166846349509&type=1

If these mostly HAND PAINTED samples are anything to go by we are in for a very good summer!

Rich

Its a bit blurry but what is the track on the Peco stand?

Cheers

Jim

I went up to Model Rail Scotland for the first time in three years, this time with my girlfriend. We had a quick look round on the Friday afternoon for the last two hours before close and then on the Saturday morning until just after lunch. We both enjoyed the show very friendly and lots of good layouts on show that kept us both entertained. Vicky particularly enjoyed the O gauge 37s on Leavesden :no: . I took a few photos on my phone and camera including Rannoch and some of the forthcoming Bachmann Covhops and Polybulks mmmmm!

Glenuig

post-6706-0-41873400-1361828716.jpg

Rannoch Moor

post-6706-0-31515700-1361828731.jpg

Polybulk bogie covered hopper wagon in Bachmann display stand in plain plastic finish

post-6706-0-65614100-1361828830_thumb.jpg

Covhops in Bachmann display stand unfitted grey and fitted brown shown

post-6706-0-51451000-1361828950_thumb.jpg

Unfitted grey Covhop

post-6706-0-63184800-1361828982_thumb.jpg

Fitted bauxite brown Covhop - with later style of disc braking

post-6706-0-13182600-1361829040_thumb.jpg

We hope to visit the show again next February and sample some more of the Glasgow area railway network.

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

Its a bit blurry but what is the track on the Peco stand?

Cheers

Jim

Concrete block with a steel tie between them - much favoured in Europe, but there are installations in the UK

EDIT: Metrolink in Manchester has some of this track. I believe it was tried in the UK during WW2 due to shortages of wood and I've seen pics of this type of track, albeit with bullhead rail, taken recently-ish at Glenfinnan.

Cheers,

Mick

Hi Jim

That is the new O gauge set track.

Some info in the Modeller but yet to appear on their website.

Straight is about 15" long and the curve is about 40" radius and 22.5 degrees (16 to a circle).

Regards.

• RMweb Premium

I went on Saturday.  Bit of a mixed bag, really.

I wanted to see Alloa again, and duly did, but only just as the crowd watching it was usually about three deep - testament, of coure, to an excellent and well operated layout.  Stainmore Summit I enjoyed very much, to a large extent due to the interesting operational aspects.  Kettlewell was a fine example of how a very good P4 layout can be built in two years.  Glenuig was virtually perfect and Gary gave me some very helpful advice on DCC, which I may now use on my next layout.

I found the variety of traders disappointing and I came away with my admittedly short shopping list largely unfulfilled.  It seems that the niche traders have stopped coming to Glasgow.

I had intended staying until about 5pm, but in the end I left an hour and a half before then.  The reason was nothing to do with the layouts, but was because I found the whole set-up of the show confusing and something of a jumble.  The aisles were confusing and not very clearly marked, and the mix of traders, layouts and society stalls meant that I missed quite a few layouts that I might have liked to have seen - how on earth did I manage to miss Rannioch, for example?.  Glasgow of course is not alone in this -  I know that I'm probably in a minority in saying this, but I do wish that at large shows like this layouts, traders and society stalls were separated into different parts of the hall.

This was very disappointing because, having very much enjoyed the Falkirk show a few months earlier, I was looking forward to Glasgow.  Will I make the round trip of 180 miles again next year?  Probably not if the show continues in its present format.

DT

View them here...

Rich

Is it me... or the angle of the light... Or are the window frames on the Farish Mk2 reminiscent of the old Hornby Coaches?

Appear to be a bit huge  :O

I wanted to see Alloa again, and duly did, but only just as the crowd watching it was usually about three deep - testament, of coure, to an excellent and well operated layout.  Stainmore Summit I enjoyed very much, to a large extent due to the interesting operational aspects.  Kettlewell was a fine example of how a very good P4 layout can be built in two years.  Glenuig was virtually perfect and Gary gave me some very helpful advice on DCC, which I may now use on my next layout.

DT

Pleased to have helped, and it is one of the reasons i operate from the front, i like a chat, and i can then blame my mistakes on been distracted!

My thoughts on the show, it is run on a different concept to normal exhibitions, this been that it is not run by one club, but a collective, and one of the factors, is that clubs within the AMRSS, get to show a layout. If you look at it in this way, then the style and ability of each member of the association is represented, and at a national level. I think this is good for the hobby, every one gets a look in. As for the traders, the hall was full, the trade space probably more expensive than other shows, plus the distance of getting there in the first place.

The brief time i had to look around, i found it on the whole good, and like you i lost a layout Banf, and found it just as they were packing up!

On the whole, i had a very enjoyable 3 days, and thaks again to the organizers for inviting me (blog to follow shortly)

Gary Hinson

• RMweb Premium

I found the variety of traders disappointing and I came away with my admittedly short shopping list largely unfulfilled.  It seems that the niche traders have stopped coming to Glasgow.

I had intended staying until about 5pm, but in the end I left an hour and a half before then.  The reason was nothing to do with the layouts, but was because I found the whole set-up of the show confusing and something of a jumble.  The aisles were confusing and not very clearly marked, and the mix of traders, layouts and society stalls meant that I missed quite a few layouts that I might have liked to have seen - how on earth did I manage to miss Rannioch, for example?.  Glasgow of course is not alone in this -  I know that I'm probably in a minority in saying this, but I do wish that at large shows like this layouts, traders and society stalls were separated into different parts of the hall.

This was very disappointing because, having very much enjoyed the Falkirk show a few months earlier, I was looking forward to Glasgow.  Will I make the round trip of 180 miles again next year?  Probably not if the show continues in its present format.

DT

I think to an extent I would agree with the"mixed bag" comment, but I find that part of the charm of the show. Its not all Pendonesque type layouts , although there were a number of very good quality layouts there. It shows Model railways can appeal to all capabilities. I know I've been to shows where people say" Oh I could never model that" and is actually a deterrent to starting anything. Maybe a more basic layout inspires more people to have a go.

The variety was fantastic. Operationally excellent layouts like Stainmore, Alloa. Multi action gimmick layouts like Leavesden- certainly a crowd pleaser, layouts operated by ipads, Micro layouts and everything in between. I am kind of stuck as to what else would have been required?  Falkirks OK but its a much smaller exhibition and had nothing like the layouts mentioned above.

Yes the layout can be confusing. I usually start at the left and work each row , so I've made sure I've seen anything. Such was the interesting content I spent 3 and a half hours there Friday and 5 hours Saturday. If you've travelled 180 miles I'd certainly want to make sure I'd seen everything. Did you buy the Show Guide? My only gripe is that admission at £10 should enable you to get a basic guide. Maybe not the glossy Model Rail produced one , but something giving the basic layout of the exhibition and showing exhibit names and retailers would be good. I really resent having to fork out another £3 for this!

So as I said before ,great show, well done to all concerned and the folks that travelled far to exhibit.  Looking forward to Perth , which is also a great show   and Model Rail scotland 2014

Archived