New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

I wonder if anyone can help me:

I've decided to sell the elink and have bought a dynamis from another Rmwebber. So I advertised it here and on ebay, but I received a message from a person on eBay basically saying that the railmaster software could not be transferred to a new owner. I was under the impression that I could just deregister and allow the buyer to re-register. Either way I withdrew the eBay auction temporarily until I have a firm answer, for which I've emailed Hornby directly but also wonder if anyone here could shed further light?

Thanks in advance

Unfortunately this is correct, Hornby do not permit the software (even if de-registered) to be transferred to someone else's details. All you can do is sell the eLink without RailMaster, this can be picked up off eBay by the new owner usually for around £30-£60. :O

OK I might have to go to Hornby directly then for a refund or something along those lines. There is absolutely no way I would have purchased the system if I had known that I would've been trapped into it!

I can't imagine I'd be able to get much for the e-link as a standalone product either.

:(

Thanks for clarifying though.

Ok so the email back from Hornby - apparently it can be deactivated and reinstalled on a different computer...

I *think" though that the problem is when you reinstall on any computer your details must match their database. Try de-registering and then registering with different details to see if it works?

Try registering using a different name and Address if you really want to test Hornby.

Somehow I don't think it will work because it is in their terms and conditions to which you agreed when initially set up the system. No doubt Hornby will point this out.

Who reads the terms and conditions before ticking the agree box. If you don't you should !

It's not unfair it's standard practice it's what terms and conditions are there for. Don't blame the product supplier.

• 2 weeks later...

OK so I deregistered the software, then re-registered it on the same PC with different details (my fathers) and it all worked so I don't see why it shouldn't work if transferred to another?

I don't want to be a wet blanket, but it may have worked because the PC was the same and Hornby may be looking at things that uniquely identify a PC, specifically the hardware such as the MAC address of the network card, the hard drive details, etc. OK so you can swap out network cards, hard drives etc, but how many folks would know how to do that, or would want to try. if you want to know if it really works, de-register, and then re-register on a different PC. I'd have thought that Hornby would allow that as we do all replace our PCs from time to time either voluntarily, or because the damned thing's died.

I'd have thought that Hornby would allow that as we do all replace our PCs from time to time either voluntarily, or because the damned thing's died.

This happened to me when mine died, I contacted them, they de-registered my license key so I could re-install on a new computer.

This happened to me when mine died, I contacted them, they de-registered my license key so I could re-install on a new computer.

Not quite the same as a different person registering the software ( if it was sold or given away )

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I am brand new on this forum. I live in the south of the Netherlands.

The Hornby Railmaster/Elink seems to me a nice set to work with.

However, you need also one or more Hornby Accessory Decoders R8247, or similar.

A visit to Hornby and/or webshops give the message: Out of stock.

So, how to handle?

Grzz,

Hans

Hello I am brand new on this forum. I live in the south of the Netherlands.

The Hornby Railmaster/Elink seems to me a nice set to work with.

However, you need also one or more Hornby Accessory Decoders R8247, or similar.

A visit to Hornby and/or webshops give the message: Out of stock.

So, how to handle?

Grzz,

Hans

Hans, Welcome on this forum.  :good:

Have you tried searching Ebay? And there are alternatives, for example the DCC concepts ADS 8, for up to 8 accessories. In stock at Hattons (also cheaper at £41 instead of £64 for two Hornby decoders...)

No connections with Hattons, just a satisfied customer! 

@dgilgert2,

What is the specific article nr. of this Tawcraft decoder? And did you tested it in combination with RM/Elink?

Grzz,

Hans

Yes - I have - and it is fine. Just use the top Hornby decoder offering from the drop down box when you come to programme it. John is a great guy and will code them for you prior to despatch if required. I have 5 of these - one failed after a few months and was replaced without argument. Definitely a good buy and a company worth your pennies. Grabbed this link this morning so up to date - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DCC-Point-Decoder-Hornby-Peco-etc-R8247-Type-Decoder-/170938134329?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item27ccb4ef39

So that is the points decoder sorted - but I think Hans is talking about the decoder chips that go inside the locomotives. There are loads of these around Hans, just look on Ebay or Google it. Some are better than others and the received wisdom is get the best you can afford. R-

@Roger Best,

No, I talk about the Accessory Decoders, to connect the turnouts, signals etc.

For the locs, I undetstand is a list of compatible decoders.

Grzz,

Hans

Archived