New Hornby computer based DCC system - eLink

Hi there, this all looks really interesting, and I'm thinking, if it's better than the Digitrax Zephyr, I'll give it a go - especially for the price.

My question is, does anyone have the Zephyr and the eLink to compare? Also, is the 1A power output a problem, especially with sound locos? If it is, then maybe I could convert my Zephyr to a booster if this would be compatible.

Edited to say also that I live in Canada, so I'm on 110V. Would I be better off getting a transformer locally to go with the eLink?u

Cheers

(Different) Jason

I'd look at your question in terms of software.    Does the Hornby RailMaster software do what you want (if so, you need the E-Link), or would some other software achieve what you want (if so, then the Zephyr is probably the better bet). 

If you are seeking software which allows a tablet or smartphone to drive your layout, then there are many options. 

For the Zephyr, the obvious two free options are JMRI and RocRail, both offer control on the computer screen, and via smartphone and tablet apps. 

In "paid for", again for the Zephyr, there are numerous options, the main being TrainController (previously called RailRoad & Co).    In all computer cases, you would need to add a computer interface to the Zephyr (recommend "LocoBuffer" from RR-Cirkits).   

If you want the "big bright blocks" computer interface which RailMaster offers on a computer, then you need an E-Link. 

In terms of capabilities, the E-Link and the Zephyr are totally different.  If you're seeking layout automation or semi-automation, the Zephyr is the clear winner because of all the devices which can connect over LocoNet;  those can report train position, etc., so a system can "know" where a train is located, and a system can intervene to avoid collisions or other mistakes.   Whereas equivalent features for E-Link remain as brouchure promises, and the automation in RailMaster is blind dead-reconning.   Pretty much every DCC manufacturer has announced significant products which never come to market, so my view is to base decisions on what is available, not promises of something in the future which cannot be guaranteed.    

You can also use the Zephyr on its own, without a computer, whereas the E-Link is a box with no physical knobs or buttons. 

( In your shoes,  I'd keep the Zephyr, and add a LocoBuffer.   Try JMRI because the local experience in north America is likely to be JMRI rather than RocRail.   For JMRI and an iPhone/iPad you need "WiThrottle",  for Android devices you need "EngineDriver" as the control software.      Then see where you want to go.   )

- Nigel

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nigel

I think I might be getting carried away by the shininess and good reviews! I have used the WiThrottle in the past but only with limited success. Mmaybe I need to give it a bit more time so I think I'll have another go at it and see how I get on before spending money.

Thanks for your help.

cheers

Jason

Thanks Jason.

By IP address do you mean the COM port?

Cheers

Hi mate, no the com port is what the computer assigns a usb device , like a memory stick ir the elink. An IP address is an address a computer uses to communicate over a network. I have set my conputers IP address to 192.168.1.200, that way it stays the same so the ipad can connect every time using the same address. Hope this make sense.

Jason

Jason

It all makes sense. In fact I must have had a senior moment. I have a sprog3/JMRI/ipad arrangement and recently had problems with ipad using the incorrect IP address

Cheers

A friend brought the new Hornby system to the club last night and I have to say its very impressive. I could quite easily see this system set up with a central monitor and the locos being controlled via smart phones or tablets.

Got a Kindle fire  which is actually a 7" tablet with Android operating system.  Has anyone managed to use one of these to connect with Railmaster/elink (or with other systems for that matter) since it's a very popular device. I downloaded the Hornby Railmaster pdf manual but   can't find an answer. Thinking about getting Railmaster after reading this thread but need to find out if all the devices I've got will actually work with it! Got an Android smart phone but screen a bit small.

Got a Kindle fire  which is actually a 7" tablet with Android operating system. 

Yes, it runs on Android but you can only directly install apps that are in the Amazon app store. There are ways to install almost any Android app, google has lots of answers.

Andrew

Got a Kindle fire  which is actually a 7" tablet with Android operating system. 

Yes, it runs on Android but you can only directly install apps that are in the Amazon app store. There are ways to install almost any Android app, google has lots of answers.

Andrew

As Andrew describes, the Kindle Fire isn't a straightforward Android device.

It uses a customised "forked" version of Android and is really designed to be a portal to buying and using Amazon content, rather than being an open platform.

As Andrew says, there are ways to jailbreak or mess around with this device, but why bother?

The Kindle Fire is what it is , so if you need a regular Tablet that can do "normal stuff", buy a regular Android or iOS tablet instead.

As Andrew describes, the Kindle Fire isn't a straightforward Android device.

It uses a customised "forked" version of Android and is really designed to be a portal to buying and using Amazon content, rather than being an open platform.

As Andrew says, there are ways to jailbreak or mess around with this device, but why bother?

The Kindle Fire is what it is , so if you need a regular Tablet that can do "normal stuff", buy a regular Android or iOS tablet instead.

Thanks, Ron and Andrew, now found also found some info buried away in one of Hornby's pdf documents about the system that Kindle tablets won't work with Railmaster (due to Android os being earlier than version 4 as well as device being a portal for Amazon and not allowing downloads from other sources.)  In a way pity for Hornby because Kindles are second highest selling tablets after I-pads.

Bill

I must just be a thicko lol I can't get mine to do a thing. I managed after a bit of arm wrestling to get the thing installed onto a laptop, then it started to update to 1.04, failed, but after approximately 5 more attempts finally managed it, then it couldn't find the controller, so re start, finds controller on Comport 3 then starts to update again to 1.04, Failed again, msg can't re boot, so re start again, finally got them talking to each other, put a Hornby class 56 sound loco on the program track to read CVs,thought just try 1 to 5, nothing apart from error repeating, after about an hr of re trying it finally read the 1 to 5 CVs, great I thought getting somewhere at last, wrong, loaded the loco in and tried the lights nothing, sound nothing, movement nothing, then back to update to 1. 04, cant re boot, cant find controller, nearly wasn,t able too if the wife hadn't stopped me from launching it through the french doors. So Dear Mr. Hornby why can't you make things that work straight out of the box, like most other manufacturers. So to anyone who reads this and can make any headway with the Elink or who maybe be able to help me please do. I have uninstalled it now from the laptop, until hopefully someone can help or Hornby get back to my email and say it is a faulty unit I have.

I must just be a thicko lol I can't get mine to do a thing. I managed after a bit of arm wrestling to get the thing installed onto a laptop, then it started to update to 1.04, failed, but after approximately 5 more attempts finally managed it, then it couldn't find the controller, so re start, finds controller on Comport 3 then starts to update again to 1.04, Failed again, msg can't re boot, so re start again, finally got them talking to each other, put a Hornby class 56 sound loco on the program track to read CVs,thought just try 1 to 5, nothing apart from error repeating, after about an hr of re trying it finally read the 1 to 5 CVs, great I thought getting somewhere at last, wrong, loaded the loco in and tried the lights nothing, sound nothing, movement nothing, then back to update to 1. 04, cant re boot, cant find controller, nearly wasn,t able too if the wife hadn't stopped me from launching it through the french doors. So Dear Mr. Hornby why can't you make things that work straight out of the box, like most other manufacturers. So to anyone who reads this and can make any headway with the Elink or who maybe be able to help me please do. I have uninstalled  it now from the laptop, until hopefully someone can help or Hornby get back to my email and say it is a faulty unit I have.

Thank goodness after a complete re install I have managed to get it working, so it would appear I was probably a Thicko after all Lol, and now I have it working, it is very good.  

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

You will need to program in it.

The software does come with many of the TrackMat layouts installed but it won't have YOUR layout installed.

It's not too difficult to draw it up, just read the PDF manual in the railmaster folder once it's installed.

Cheers

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

The official publicity and photos  about elink make it look an attractive proposition. For example the September 2013 edition of  Hornby magazine devotes 4 pages to praising it. But I keep seeing bad reviews and problems on various forums. Recently there was a set of postings in 'another place' that were very critical of Hornby.

So I am still reluctant to invest in elink/Railmaster.

If these issues are as prevalent as they seem from the forums, I can't understand why Hornby haven't either recalled the items or issued a major rewrite. Or are there a lots of happy (but quiet) users?

(I am not sure if I am asking a question or thinking out loud.)

Either way I would like to hear more from users, to gauge how widespread the issues are.

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

It's very strange, as I've been using RailMaster for ages, since it first came out and it's had regular updates which have improved the functionality no end.

Yes I have been using it with the Hornby Elite, and had no real major issues.

As long as  you follow the instructions exactly it all works as it should.

The biggest issue I think is making sure RailMaster is installed and run as administrator otherwise you have problems.

Then it turns into a bit of a pig as it needs to be completely uninstalled then installed correctly.

E-Link is basically just replacing the Elite, so I can't understand why there have been issues, well I can operating it with Windows 7 and possibly 8!!!

The only software that will work with E-Link is the RailMaster, and to that end, Hornby RailMaster will only work with E-Link or the Hornby Elite.

I have used TCS, Digitrax and ESU decoders with no problems at all.

It actually works very well for it's price and target market.

If/When the detector system is released it will be even better.

Cheers

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

My e-link arrived a couple of days ago and I got it up and running with a loco very quickly.

Now I want to try some point control and route setting.

As yet, I haven't got an accessory decoder as I don't know which one works best. I'll be powering up to 9 Peco point motors feeding a fan of sidings, so I guess I'll need to make use of the macro program feature.

Am I best to simply start with a Hornby R8247 accessory decoder, or is there a better choice?

Cheers,

Mick

My e-link arrived a couple of days ago and I got it up and running with a loco very quickly.

As yet, I haven't got an accessory decoder as I don't know which one works best. I'll be powering up to 9 Peco point motors feeding a fan of sidings, so I guess I'll need to make use of the macro program feature.

Am I best to simply start with a Hornby R8247 accessory decoder, or is there a better choice?

Cheers,

Mick

Cheers,

Mick

WELL i'M MOVING TO A z21 - Anyone want a mint elite for £50 ono (lONDON w5)

couldnt cope with the graphics, and slow programming.

NR

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers,

Mick

hi mick i was just wondering how have you got on with the elink and accessory decoders i was thinking of  getting one for a small layout im building and using the dcc concepts dcd ads8 so i could manually swith the points also   cheers ian 

• RMweb Premium

hi mick i was just wondering how have you got on with the elink and accessory decoders i was thinking of  getting one for a small layout im building and using the dcc concepts dcd ads8 so i could manually swith the points also   cheers ian 

Hi Ian,

I managed to obtain a second hand R8216 point decoder and had a play with a small test program, but I only had one spare solenoid to play with. I was looking at the more up to date R8247 decoder (the output is adjustable on a R8247). However, a certain Merseyside retailer has the Bachmann 4 way decoder (ESU switch pilot) at a very good price, so I've bought a couple of those. The plan is to hook them up to a few points on Springfield Jn (link in sig) to try out the system further.

So far, I like what I see and the cost to implement it is quite reasonable - as long as you don't factor in the wireless and PC - which most households have access to these days. I also like the option to have two e-links connected to one PC. That way you can have one e-link with point/signal/accessory control and one e-link on loco duty.

More to come, when I have some spare time from painting Colas 70's, DBS silver stuff and some more yellow coaches!

Cheers,

Mick

More to come, when I have some spare time from painting Colas 70's, DBS silver stuff and some more yellow coaches!

Cheers,

Mick

thx mick i am following springfield with interest do you know if you can control the switch pilot with switches as well as with the controller  

cheers ian

• RMweb Premium

thx mick i am following springfield with interest do you know if you can control the switch pilot with switches as well as with the controller  

cheers ian

There's no external manual switching available with the switchpilot, but there is a facility for feedback into the DCC system to prove that the point has operated.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

There's no external manual switching available with the switchpilot, but there is a facility for feedback into the DCC system to prove that the point has operated.

Cheers,

Mick

hi mick may i first say merry xmas and second do you know if the dcc concepts have feed back. ive been looking at the liverpool retailer and they have both decoder accessory's in stock and the man in the red suit brought me a elink yesterday  so im pretty keen on trying the system out 

cheers ian 

Archived