Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby 2 BIL

Colin parks

Has anybody tried consisting (if that's the right word) 2 x 2-BIL's together. I tried this without any couplings (just the buffers rubbing together) and it worked quite well although there was the odd separation/coming together due to variable speed differences. When I connected them with ROCO type couplings in the bogie mounted NEM sockets things weren't quite so good. No derailments but you could see the odd carriage tipping as they negotiated any pointwork probably due to sideways pushing/pulling on the bogie by the other unit. I would have thought that carriage mounted coupling sockets would have been a better idea for coupling two motor powered vehicles. I might give Kadee couplings a try and see if things improve. Any other suggestions?

Ray.

Yes - take the motor out of one - a single unit will happily pull 3 trailers

EDIT: Sorry Steve L has already suggested it - I need to read the unread bits of the thread first

Edited by Southernman46

• RMweb Gold

While I really admire those who have the tenacity to notice details that might have been done better, and in some cases prove it by showing us how it can be done, I feel this is a great model. The moulded commode handles do not jar - because you have to really look for them. Do I realise how good Hornby can make them look? Yes, I think I have at least 40 Maunsells! A few runs back and forth on my embryo SR layout (no juice rail on this one, that will be another layout) display nothing nasty in the fitted Hornby decoder, in contrast to the DCC-fitted M7 I bought a couple of years ago.

A great success, so anyone dithering - just buy it while you can!

• Like 7

Guest oldlugger

Hi Oldlugger,

I think your over stating the case, most people on here seem to be very happy with the performance of the 2-Bil and i for one haven't spent a penny extra on them apart from putting in a DCC decoder, but that's my choice over the Hornby offering.

Admittedly one person is having difficulty but if you make a decision based on one persons experience then it's your loss.

Indeed? I bow to your superior knowledge... after all I only took up railway modelling last week... I used to be an avid stamp collector by the way!

• Like 5

Just recieved my 2-Bil this morning, and running it in on my test track. So far (after 20 minutes) running well on DC. To my eye the detail is alright. As others have said no couplings are included,but to me this is not a problem. It is more basic than we are used to, but I am happy with it. Now What number do I put on the front?

Edited by Bartb

• RMweb Premium

My DCC Fitted BR green one has arrived. It looks great and runs very smoothly at slow speed and through the speed range up to - and beyond - prototypical maximum speed. So I hope those who are having problems with their motors find a quick and simple fix.

Was thinking of adding a SYP but it looks so good I'm not sure I want to touch it now.

Have to say, the 2-EPB alongside the 2-BIL is an eye opener. It's a comparison that was always going to be made at some point, and I think Bachmann's model scores very highly when placed in direct contrast to Hornby's. The 2-BIL seems to be a popular choice, and many people are happy with them, which is the main thing. I do question if a purchaser of the 2EPB and 2BIL felt they were getting value for money with the 2BIL when compared to the 2EPB though.

I think the single biggest flaw in Hornby's multiple unit models is the single powered standard bogie, borne out in some respects by the 4VEP and now a few reports of the 2BIL. A shame as I am sure the finish on the model is otherwise excellent.

• Like 1

I  would  say  that  the  2 BIL  does  fall short  of the 2 EPB in terms  of  quality and  value  for  money,

I feel the  lack of  lighting doesnt help, when the  BILs are alongside  the  CEPs & EPBs  the lack of lightng is very apparent, however it should be noted  that if Hornby had added lighting  the BIL would probable  have cost quite a bit more  and Bachmann have  established a certain expertise with coach lighting  with their EMUs & DMUs.

As far as I am aware the only  coaches with Lighting that Hornby have produced are the PUllmans & 5 BEL  but that system is entirely different  no ceiling  lights, just table  lamps which are  a fibre optic   system.

I know some modellers have  revised their BIL plans, one guy had 5 on order but only recieved 2.  He has cancelled his other 3  and I noticed that  he now  has  a second Bue Pullman on his layout!!

It will be interesting to see if any other manufacturer comes up with an new EMU when they make their announcements.

Would point out re  SAC Martin's post above  the Bachmann EMUs only have 1 powered bogie, but in their case  it is  a different  set up,  the motor is fixrd in the car , is flywheel fitted  and  drives the  'powered' bogie via a cardan shaft. ( Very Smoothly)

Edited by Stevelewis
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Although I've been keeping tabs on this topic, this afternoon was the first time I saw one in the flesh at my nearest Modelzone in Leeds. This was my first visit there for weeks and the NRM version was the only one on display there.

Having only seen 2090 at Southern Region open days from the 80s when it then carried full yellow fronts, the shade of green looked correct to me for a unit representing the mid-late 50s. 

However, I wasn't prepared to pay the full whack for that as I've just paid for my holiday and I'll wait for the next batch due in June for a birthday treat.

I can see the full yellow-fronted 2BIL being produced as a collectors edition and that may spur Hornby on to produce a 4SUB as 4732 in malachite to pair up with it.

• RMweb Gold

Although I've been keeping tabs on this topic, this afternoon was the first time I saw one in the flesh at my nearest Modelzone in Leeds. This was my first visit there for weeks and the NRM version was the only one on display there.

Having only seen 2090 at Southern Region open days from the 80s when it then carried full yellow fronts, the shade of green looked correct to me for a unit representing the mid-late 50s. 

However, I wasn't prepared to pay the full whack for that as I've just paid for my holiday and I'll wait for the next batch due in June for a birthday treat.

I can see the full yellow-fronted 2BIL being produced as a collectors edition and that may spur Hornby on to produce a 4SUB as 4732 in malachite to pair up with it.

I think you'll find you might pay a lot less for it very shortly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this afternoon while I was busy doing some decorating - thought the dog was going to eat the delivery driver with all the noise he was making lol !!

I was having mixed feelings about pre-ordering it all those months ago after reading some of the posts on here concerning the moulded on details and the questionable running qualities. Those feelings where soon allayed once I took it out of the box. 

The 2 BIL is an extremely well executed model in my eyes (bit too clean for me ;) ), it was nice to take the it from the box and not have bits of detail missing or pinging off! It runs extremely well through all the speed range (on DC) and yes I put a coupling hook on it and it's currently hauling 7 Maunsells happily around the branch-line circuit of my layout....

Am I a happy bunny... YES!!!

• Like 3

When first trying to run two Bachmann 4-CEPs together with EZ couplings and after programming them to run as near as possible at the same speed, I experienced derailments. The first formations had the power cars at opposite ends of the formation. When I reformed the train with the power cars in the centre, i.e. adjacent to each other, the problem went away. So much so that their top speed is beyond what my nerves will stand! Incidently, I tried removing one power car from the formation and ran the train with just as a 7-CEP + an unpowered MLV and it ran at the same rate of knots. After ten minutes or so circulating my layout "Meopham East Junction", I removed the power car for examination. It showed no signs of distress, no hot smell and no lose of grease from the mechanism due to overheating. I would not recommend this treatment but if you have an emergency....

Ran the 2x2Bil's together with the power cars in the centre and like you suggested, the problem went away (even with BEMF).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Just out of interest - why have posts been deleted from this thread - I'm not talking about the ones moved to the supply gremlins thread, but I made a post (didn't break any forum rules as far as I know) on Saturday about purchasing a unit in Gaugemaster and now its gone?

Regards

Steve

Ran the 2x2Bil's together with the power cars in the centre and like you suggested, the problem went away (even with BEMF).

Thanks for the suggestion.

Hi Tender,

Another suggestion. Have you tried adding weights to the 3 centre cars in a 4 car set or to the non-powered car in a 2 car set.

On my 4Cor set the power car weighs 342g and the other coaches weigh 230g each, and on my 6PAN set the power car weighs 312g and the other 5 cars weigh 171 g each.

I have also added weights to my Lima/Hornby class 73 which now weighs 393g and most of my wagons now weigh between 80 to 100g each.

I have checked the weight of my Bachmann 2EPB, the power car weighs 376g and the driving trailer is a bit light at 150g. When Bachman produce renumbered 2EPB or a 2HAP,I will add more weight to the driving trailers.

Whats the weight of the power car and driving trailer on your new Hornby 2BIL Tender ?

Regards

Bazza

• RMweb Premium

Just out of interest - why have posts been deleted from this thread - I'm not talking about the ones moved to the supply gremlins thread, but I made a post (didn't break any forum rules as far as I know) on Saturday about purchasing a unit in Gaugemaster and now its gone?

Regards

Steve

There was a server fault at some point and a hour or twos worth of posts were lost from the system.  I lost a couple elsewhere as well.

My DCC Fitted BR green one has arrived. It looks great and runs very smoothly at slow speed and through the speed range up to - and beyond - prototypical maximum speed. So I hope those who are having problems with their motors find a quick and simple fix.

Was thinking of adding a SYP but it looks so good I'm not sure I want to touch it now.

What is the non-acronym of SYP please ?

Your neck is safe. According to volume 2 of David Brown's "Southern Electric" (2010, p.106, column 2):

For the Reading line electrification a final batch of 36 2BILs, 2117-2152, were ordered ... detail differences included the provision of a stronger 62ft underframe, with end-loading increased from ninety to 120 tons, achieved by cross-bracing ... [and] large Spencer Moulton self-contained cab-end buffers were fitted, as on the express stock.

Paul

Going back a bit Paul,

Visualy, did the underframes on the last batch of 2BIL's (2117-2152) look the same as the underframes on the earlier batches, or just made of heavier guage steel ?

Regards

Bazza

Small Yellow Panel, referring to the yellow warning panel and its size on each end of the DMU/EMU/Diesel/etc.

Thank you,

Its confusing, as all EMU/Diesels seem to have carried in later BR days four different sizes of yellow warning painted panels, a small yellow rectangular panel, or a full yellow rectangular panel covering the lower third or half of the front, or all the front of the unit or locomotive painted yellow, or all the front and some of the sides painted yellow, and some times the same class of unit or locomotive had different sizes of yellow warning panels to others in that same class.

When I was there, in the good old days, EMU's and main line diesels were painted green with high-vis black or red buffer beams.

And why yellow! from a distance red, or orange, or chevron stripes are easier to see. BR must have purchased a special job lot of yellow paint. I'm trying to imagine a 2BIL with yellow/black chevron stripes, yuck!

Regards

Bazza

• RMweb Premium

Regards

Steve

There was a server fault at some point and a hour or twos worth of posts were lost from the system.  I lost a couple elsewhere as well.

If you look at post 640 above from Mod6, you will see that a number of posts saying "I've bought one..." have been deleted. Maybe that's the reason.

• Like 1

Thank you Andrew, that's correct.  I am trying (in accordance with wishes from some of you, which I agree with) to keep this topic for discussion of the model and prototype only.  Posts which merely say "I've got one today" or "Model shop have emailed me to say I'll get mine in June" aren't especially helpful now that they have actually appeared. 

• Like 9

Hi Tender,

Another suggestion. Have you tried adding weights to the 3 centre cars in a 4 car set or to the non-powered car in a 2 car set.

On my 4Cor set the power car weighs 342g and the other coaches weigh 230g each, and on my 6PAN set the power car weighs 312g and the other 5 cars weigh 171 g each.

I have also added weights to my Lima/Hornby class 73 which now weighs 393g and most of my wagons now weigh between 80 to 100g each.

I have checked the weight of my Bachmann 2EPB, the power car weighs 376g and the driving trailer is a bit light at 150g. When Bachman produce renumbered 2EPB or a 2HAP,I will add more weight to the driving trailers.

Whats the weight of the power car and driving trailer on your new Hornby 2BIL Tender ?

Regards

Bazza

As my problem of carriage tilting through turnouts has been solved by running the 2x2Bils with the power cars together I don't think adding weight to the trailer carriages will be of any benefit, but thanks for the suggestion anyway.