RMweb

Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Interesting comparison of Sentinel shunters, advertisement from Institution of Locomotive Engineers Vol. 51 (Part 3) 1961-62.

'Standard gauge 4'81/2 all other gauges will be available in due course' !

">http://IMG_zps7ca2f36d.jpg

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Latest info from a well known retailer.

Hornby R3179 Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in ESSO Bitumen Plymouth red. 

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between September 2013 & September 2013

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Hornby R3179 Class 4wDM 0-4-0 diesel Sentinel shunter in ESSO Bitumen Plymouth red. 

Our latest information from the supplier suggests this item will arrive with us between September 2013 & September 2013

Whilst we are hopeful this information is accurate, manufacturer lead times are frequently prone to be delayed. This information is to be used as a guide only.

Cheers,

Mick

Hey Mick,

I got a similar email from Hattons regarding Hornby's Mk1s which I'm after. Hattons said that the Chocolate/Cream Mk1s would be due in Sep-Nov... I immediately tweeted to Hornby who said that all the models are due on time i.e. mid June for the BR Maroon ones and mid July for the Choco/Cream ones... Want to enquire about the Sentinels?

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

September 16th now reported as a more accurate due date. Not bad if they can predict a date nearly four months in advance!

Cheers,

Mick

• 3 weeks later...

Kernows latest newsletter shows the decoder for the Sentinel as being released at £9.99 from them, looks to a unique plug socket arrangment that Hornby have come up with http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_39834.jpg

Looks interesting as a cheap decoder for steam locos or diesels without lights. Given there are only four wires I suspect the only functionality is forwards and backwards which is enough for the majority of locomotives. It could be a cheap way of converting older analogue locos to digital assuming they don't draw too much current.

Looks interesting as a cheap decoder for steam locos or diesels without lights. Given there are only four wires I suspect the only functionality is forwards and backwards which is enough for the majority of locomotives. It could be a cheap way of converting older analogue locos to digital assuming they don't draw too much current.

It looks like a standard cheap Hornby decoder with only four wires soldered onto it and a different plug, hopfully it will be easy to solder the plug on to a lenz mini or simular.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks nice on a layout. Perth show on Elliott Bridge. A runner too! And it ran fine.

Hey, where did this come from ? Is it a pre-production model ?

Those big buffers will make shunting with three link couplers a breeze ; bigger buffers reduce the chance of buffer lock.

Edited by brian777999