Hornby Sentinel - including cranked version

Southernman46

Was looking forward to get my hand on the ESSO one before Christmas, so I could let her have a good little shunt on my Dock Side micro layout, Compton Quay. :scratchhead: But if it is come next year the is no big rush. Hornby have done a great job with reigning the axle boxes and buffer beam! :victory: Are there any picks of the updated ESSO one? :mail:

Hello there !

Concerning the date of delivery I found them by chance on ebay as a 'buy it now' offer from the seller 'jadlamracing'. 

See for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3179-Esso-Sentinel-0-4-0-Sentinel-/390716150601?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5af87f5349#ht_2427wt_1170

Best wishes

Dirk

Hello there !

Concerning the date of delivery I found them by chance on ebay as a 'buy it now' offer from the seller 'jadlamracing'. 

See for example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Loco-R3179-Esso-Sentinel-0-4-0-Sentinel-/390716150601?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item5af87f5349#ht_2427wt_1170

Best wishes

Dirk

Hi 

I do not understand how this shop has got them and no one else has,they have not even been released yet?

Darren01

Hi 

I have sent them a Pm asking how come they have the model to buy , when even Hornbys own site do not even have it.

Will be interesting to find out what the reply will be ?

Edited by darren01

Hi 

I have sent them a Pm asking how come they have the model to buy , when even Hornbys own site do not even have it.

Will be interesting to find out what the reply will be ?

I asked them the same question yesterday not had a reply back from them yet.

Hi 

Had a look at there shop site and they seem to have all three types for sale!

link;https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.jadlamracingmodels.com%2F&ei=tqKhUp6BKdKihge-oYCwBA&usg=AFQjCNE3HuBzv2XxmX55B1r5EDlo2aW5LA&bvm=bv.57752919,d.d2k

Something wrong here me thinks

Just phoned Hornby and was told no none of the models are out at the moment,but the first one will be out in about ten days, so how can he say on his site that you can buy any three models now, when they are not even out!

Edited by darren01

Hi 

Something wrong here me thinks

Just phoned Hornby and was told no none of the models are out at the moment,but the first one will be out in about ten days, so how can he say on his site that you can buy any three models now, when they are not even out!

I think so too.  I have used Jadlem for quite a bit of Scalextric and have always had good service and quick response in the past.

I have tried to 'phone them, there was no reply.

IMO it's not appropriate to have wilfully listed an item on 'buy it now' for delivery by the 10th when they don't (can't) have any stock, eBay's reporting structure is useless in such a case too.

Anyway, better pricing can be obtained from other online retailers who will, I'm sure, get stock as soon as anyone else does.

I once complained to ebay about non delivery of an item from the US (not model railways). Nothing was done ; the seller was a ''power seller'' and was allowed to continue with no penalty imposed at all. I am afraid that ebay is pretty much  open slather for businesses but things can be  much more restrictive for private people using the site. Just a word of warning !

My guess is that in this case the shop has miscalculated the delivery times but decided that he may as well let the ad stand.

Edited by brian777999

HI 

If you had a look at the shop web site he has all the new Hornby models that have been announced by Hornby for sale, nothing said about pre order.

He has now removed all the Hornby Models that he said he had from is website now, after i phoned him earlier today.

Bit misleading putting up on there site models to buy now that will not be out till next year, So if you paid now you would not get your model till later next year!.

Edited by darren01

Does anyone have any news on the decoders?  

Hattons confusingly is listing this as 8 pin and offering links to their decoders.  Hornby says: 

"Due to the limited space available, a unique decoder has been produced which is available through the Hornby Customer Care Department."

But there is nothing on the website as far as I can see.  

Bit worried I could have a loco in late December that's going nowhere.  Still I expect we will bodge a direct wire somehow.  

Does anyone have any news on the decoders?  

Hattons confusingly is listing this as 8 pin and offering links to their decoders.  Hornby says: 

"Due to the limited space available, a unique decoder has been produced which is available through the Hornby Customer Care Department."

But there is nothing on the website as far as I can see.  

Bit worried I could have a loco in late December that's going nowhere.  Still I expect we will bodge a direct wire somehow.  

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/product/39834/X9659_Hornby_DCC_Decoder_for_use_with_Sentinel_Diesel_Locomotive

You might want to confirm with Hornby that this is the one they recommend as it is listed elsewhere as for 0-6-0 locos, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/X9659-Hornby-Digital-decoder-for-DCC-Ready-0-6-0-Locos-/310719867051

Edited by BR(S)

The decoder definitely IS NOT 8 pin - I spoke to Simon Kohler a while back who advised me that Hornby have made a dedicated decoder (due to size limitations) with a custom plug/socket which will apparently be available for retailers from Hornby service department once the loco is on sale.

Patience seems t be a necessity rather than a virtue at the moment with model releases but I am sure the sentinel will be well worth the wait.

The decoder definitely IS NOT 8 pin - I spoke to Simon Kohler a while back who advised me that Hornby have made a dedicated decoder (due to size limitations) with a custom plug/socket which will apparently be available for retailers from Hornby service department once the loco is on sale.

The decoder is already available, it would be interesting to know how many have been sold so far! Think I will simply rip out all of the wiring / socket and hard wire a known reliable decoder in place rather than risk the Hornby one given the limitations or incompatibilities of much of their dcc stuff.

• 2 weeks later...

Patience seems t be a necessity rather than a virtue at the moment with model releases but I am sure the sentinel will be well worth the wait.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to use a standard 6-pin decoder (as in the Bachmann 03, as I recall)?

• Like 1