RMweb

Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Oh no! At the end if the day, this is just is a hobby, not a way of wife. Each needs their own means of escape.....

Could we please return to the P2?

I need to figure out if I made a mistake switching from the full version to the TTS one....

It appears that some people with pre-ordered main range P2s have received their models, but not all.  I had a pre-order with one seller but heard nothing, albeit it's early days since Hornby received R3207...   so I did a quick search on the web for reliable web sellers who had stock of the model, I found two, bought from each (nice discount on one) and cancelled my original pre-order.

For what it's worth TMC Yorkshire had eight in stock on Fri morning last but none by 9pm. Locomotion at Shildon had 2 in stock yesterday (Sat night UK) so I bought another, sometimes their site says they have 1, sometimes if you access a their site from a different angle they have 5 , but I received a valid order number and receipt so presume it will be ok. 

My questions are; how many did Hornby receive? Are they in several lots? I seems some shops took pre-orders which they cannot currently fill, in other words, there was no clarity about the exact number they might receive in this first shipment, nor any guarantee of supply from this early shipment.  Some shops had sufficient to sell straight from stock. Are any shops still selling R3207?

And before someone asks, I bought two so I can weather one, perhaps. It's a beautiful example of 1930s engineering.

Cheers,

Rob

Edited by robmcg

• RMweb Premium

I have a pre order in with Hereford Models. I use them because they test models before despatch. I understand that all their first batch of R3207 have sold out but they are expecting a second batch which should be arriving at Hornby next week.

It appears that some people with pre-ordered main range P2s have received their models, but not all.  I had a pre-order with one seller but heard nothing, albeit it's early days since Hornby received R3207...   so I did a quick search on the web for reliable web sellers who had stock of the model, I found two, bought from each (nice discount on one) and cancelled my original pre-order.

For what it's worth TMC Yorkshire had eight in stock on Fri morning last but none by 9pm. Locomotion at Shildon had 2 in stock yesterday (Sat night UK) so I bought another, sometimes their site says they have 1, sometimes if you access a their site from a different angle they have 5 , but I received a valid order number and receipt so presume it will be ok. 

My questions are; how many did Hornby receive? Are they in several lots? I seems some shops took pre-orders which they cannot currently fill, in other words, there was no clarity about the exact number they might receive in this first shipment, nor any guarantee of supply from this early shipment.  Some shops had sufficient to sell straight from stock. Are any shops still selling R3207?

And before someone asks, I bought two so I can weather one, perhaps. It's a beautiful example of 1930s engineering.

Cheers,

Rob

Hi Rob.

Rails stated in a recent emailed newsletter that they had received an initial batch of the 'main range' version with more to follow later (I think they said October, but don't quote me on that). If that is true, then it may also apply to other retailers.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Rob.

Rails stated in a recent emailed newsletter that they had received an initial batch of the 'main range' version with more to follow later (I think they said October, but don't quote me on that). If that is true, then it may also apply to other retailers.

I wonder what percentage of their order has been delivered, when some retailers have pre-sold all of their initial allocation but others had "unallocated" stock to sell?

I have a pre order at MRD from 12 months or so ago, but I do not appear to be amongst the first allocation!

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Cheers,

Rob

Hi team, I too have been having some fun with the pre order 'process'. I did see the TMC web site on Friday and I rang them to confirm that they did have 8 but I did not place an order then - more fool me as they were all gone when I looked again on my Saturday morning. So thank you Rob, I`ve just place an order with Locomation and have a valid order confirmation. and I have really enjoyed following this blog. It has been going for a while now but I have really enjoyed the pictures and the other member's work - thank you all.

Now I am really looking forward to taking delivery of the model and running it with my Greasley Teaks   

• Like 1

Cheers,

Rob

=============================================================================================

Look forward to seeing photographs of your work on your P2`s Rob.

D.R.M.

Well I've just got back from my local model shop, Platform Models in Poole, with an R3207 full version for the excellent price of £110.70.

It was their last one, unsure if they will have more from later batches. With the usual disclaimers, can I highly recommend Platform Models and urge you to support them if you are local to Bournemouth or Poole.

Mist importantly thanks to Rob, as once again your excellent photos inspired me to purchase this fine model. I am primarily a continental modeller these days, but thanks to rob this was my second inspired purchase this year, the other being a Heljan a Garratt from Hattons.

As with the Garratt, I had no intentions to purchase, but succumbed to the photography!

I am currently partially sighted so I would have been unable to detail a a Railroad version to the high standards I have seen on this thread. I am also only able to appreciate the fine livery due to being able to enlarge the photos on my iPad.

Anyway, the R3207 looks to be an excellent model, and the packaging is very nice as well. Was it worth the extra £35 over the Railroad version? Well it is to me for the aforementioned reason, but had my eyesight been OK, I might well have saved the pennies and detailed the Railroad model.

Enjoy your models everyone!

Ashley

• Like 3

Indeed the annoying thing about these forums is that when a manufacturer does a cracker, it increases the risk of caving in and buying one.

This year alone, I have caved in  4 times so far for items I did not really want.

Mind you it was Hornby's promo video that made me switch the order from the full P2 to the TTS version. Should look well on my BR era southern layout....

Indeed the annoying thing about these forums is that when a manufacturer does a cracker, it increases the risk of caving in and buying one.

This year alone, I have caved in  4 times so far for items I did not really want.

Mind you it was Hornby's promo video that made me switch the order from the full P2 to the TTS version. Should look well on my BR era southern layout....

I was thinking along exactly the same lines!!

Just a thought painted BR Green it might look like a Bulleid creation

Edited by Wicor Models

Well Bullied did have his hand in the design I suppose.

My justification will be that when Bullied left the LNER to take up his position on the SR, he sneaked out and took Cock'O'the North with him. If remained hidden on the Southern until the 1950s when someone found it behind a filing cabinet at Ashford. And so you see her being test run in LNER colours on a southern during BR days.....

Later Bullied was knighted for having saved the P2 from being curved into an A2/2.

Not sure how I explain the teak coaches though.

Hmm, anyone planning to rebuild the model with boxpox wheels, Bullied chimney and other features? I believe he did propose a 2-8-2 for the SR briefly at one point.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Doesn't the forum software autocorrect this any more?  It used to, quite emphatically.

No...this is a mistake I made a few years back..it did not.It was left to another member to smugly correct me. If I had a penny for each grammatical or spelling error I've read online....including the BBC.....I'd be a rich man.

Guest spet0114

It's a beautiful example of 1930s engineering.

Gosh, was it that long ago that Hornby announced it? Chinese production delays are longer than we thought.....

Well Bullied did have his hand in the design I suppose.

I believe he did propose a 2-8-2 for the SR briefly at one point.

Yes he did but Mr Ellson the civil engineer wasn't keen but allowed a trial so he borrowed a P2 from his old guv where it stayed as 11D1 eventually receiving BR lined blue.

ok.gif

It's arrived.

No problem in getting one, as at least two sources were saying on here that they were still available until very recently.

I wonder how many, or what percentage of the batch, Hornby have held back for direct sales.

Not a complaint. Good luck to them as they need the cash.

First reaction?

Even allowing that it has been built down to a price I find it a bit of a proverbial curate's egg.

I do hope the J15, at a comparatively higher price, is back to the standard that we know and love.

Or to put it another way. It ain't a patch on an A3 or A4.

Body shape looks very good, as does the finish.

Rear of the tender looks dreadful and as the moulded hand rails are so close to the lining, improvement is awkward. A Railroad model would be easier to work on.

Other handrails are not as bad, but the smoke box front one needs attention as in some angles on the real thing it casts a shadow.. Dart can be done at the same time.

Lack of flanged trailing wheels is a nuisance but easily rectified.

Cab fittings seem to be fairly accurate and just need picking out in various colours.

Lack of the heat shield over the fire box door can also be attended to.

I love the etched name plates, called headboards in mine and the instruction to fit them with Blu Tack. Note. Being sarcastic.

Hardly worth the bother to include these as the general finish is worthy of the real thing being added.

I find the tender wheels have a lot of play in both directions and the tender is rather light. This causes it to lurch about violently at speed.

Probably no different to other 8 wheelers but the lack of pick ups does add to this effect.

I might appear to be too critical for some people.

But then that is me, who has always worked on the principle of continuous improvement. As my old boss would say, improve or go under.

I would rather pay say around £180 for a model to the standard of the other LNER big engines.

Value for money? Without a doubt yes, but is that the only consideration? It does seem to be the way things are going.

Just a relief that there is Bachmann with the Half Cab to show how things can be done.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it had to happen,didn't it ? My R 3207 duly arrived from Locomotion Models just now. Lightning has struck twice,just like my Duke of Gloucester way back in January,it's a non runner. After coaxing,briefly flickered into life and that's that. It exhibits exactly the same symptoms as that did,so I assume it's basically the same chassis/ pick up design and an identical fault in assembly.Quality Control ,anyone ?

It's making its return trip to Shildon tomorrow.Plus ca change etc.,etc...

Remember Hornby did this model because 2007 was announced. This loco will doubtless become very popular once built (and it is moving along at a pace), and this was always going to be a model to recruit new railway modelers like their A1 Tornado so I understand the cut down in detail. 

I did argue once that the top finish model could use the same tender as their A3. But I guess both the P2 and A3 are made in 2 very different factories....

We see how much of the policy will continue with their Crosti 9F.

Well it had to happen,didn't it ? My R 3207 duly arrived from Locomotion Models just now. Lightning has struck twice,just like my Duke of Gloucester way back in January,it's a non runner. After coaxing,briefly flickered into life and that's that. It exhibits exactly the same symptoms as that did,so I assume it's basically the same chassis/ pick up design and an identical fault in assembly.Quality Control ,anyone ?

It's making its return trip to Shildon tomorrow.Plus ca change etc.,etc...

Both Hornby's super detailed models and the Duke have a keeper plate holding the electrical pickups. These pickups are loose, not soldered anywhere and are just in contact with two tiny rivets that carry juice to the loco. The problem appears less apparent on a model with additional tender pickups, but it can exist their too. Normally taking the plate off, relocating the pickups and ensuring they touch the wheels cures the problem.

Quite easy to maintain once you understand how.

Just saying this might be your loco's problem....

(P.S my spell check always has me saying things I did not nintendo :no: ).

• Like 1