Hornby P2

Dick Turpin

Whilst the appropriate location for it may be a contentious matter, I must say that the second of robmcg's latest images does look impressive.

I would suggest a separate parody/pastiche art gallery would be the best place for these images. The Beyer Garratt wing of the gallery would be most impressive with over 150 images on display.

I just hope the GWR wing remains fairly empty, although this may be a forlorn hope, as I have noticed a few kitsch Kings beginning to appear on various threads in recent days. 

Edited by cary hill

A couple of manipulated images of my RR CotN and toboldlygo's weathered RR version, my main range models sit forlornly as if to say 'what about us?" as I set up a photo of Wellington Castle in post-war GW guise with a couple of GW Hawksworths... ah the cruelties!

But wouldn't it have been great to see such an engine thundering past..

attachicon.gif1_2001_speed_LNER_2ab_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif2_2001_portrait_21a_r1200a.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

#####################################################################################

Both of these photos are super images Rob. It makes you think what the P2 would have looked like in it`s day

speeding along the routes it worked.

D.R.M.

Re-jigged the track a bit and the P2 doesn't lift it's front drivers now.

Tried adding a bit more load with a 12 Wheel restauarant car making 9 vehicles in all and it still storms up the gradients

Then I added 6 more coaches and took off the siphons making 13. It did slow down a bit but would still start it on the gradient.

The problem then was that the Hornby Staniers at the front of the rake started randomly de-railing, it appears at first glance that the pull on the couplings (close couple mechanisms) was dragging the coaches off centre.

Having them as the trailing load instead seemed to be all right.

I wonder why they behave like that?

Keith

I have exactly the same problem. My understanding is that its particularly noticeable with NEM couplings. I loaded up my P2 on a scale 1 in 40 with 13 coaches (after initial tests with 7, 9 and 11) - it started to struggle, but still a brilliant performance. That being said, as it crested the hill, the front wheel on the second coach had derailed somewhere at the bottom and was dragging along.

This also happened when I bought Hornby's Golden Arrow set +2 coaches - making 8 in all. Got to the top, second/third coach would derail. No matter how I gapped the wheels, or re-arranged the rake, the same still happened. I cured it (with this rake at least) by removing all of the coach weights. The tension on the front couplings is still there, but there isn't such a weight hanging off them now.

13 coaches is too much for my layout anyway, so i'm going to look further, but nice to see it put through its paces. That being said, the angle at which some NEM couplings point is also worth looking into, as I know this has been an issue for me in the past. I kind of fudge it by re-arranging the rake, or couplings within the rake, but i'd be interested to see the behaviour of through piped stock.

A couple of manipulated images of my RR CotN and toboldlygo's weathered RR version, my main range models sit forlornly as if to say 'what about us?" as I set up a photo of Wellington Castle in post-war GW guise with a couple of GW Hawksworths... ah the cruelties!

But wouldn't it have been great to see such an engine thundering past..

attachicon.gif1_2001_speed_LNER_2ab_r1200.jpg

attachicon.gif2_2001_portrait_21a_r1200a.jpg

Cheers,

Rob

Would also just like to add my appreciation for the images - I especially like the first one!

Edited by 84A

1. Had a problem with the loco derailing on a particular piece of track which should have been 30" constant radius.  Despite track pins, glued ballast etc. it turned out that the track had slowly moved into two curves meeting at a sharp angle. Think this happened because I'd cut a notch in the top of the rails at that point  as part of a "rail joint noise" experiment. That had also pushed one rail too low. Bit of work with a tracksetta and a pair of pliers restored order - however the P2 was the only loco to have found this problem. Even my Jamieson V2 with a long coupled wheelbase (and very little play in the wheels) was running over curve ok. All is now well and P2 continues to perform faultlessly. Just need the etched plates to arrive now.

2. Going to have a go with flanged trailing wheels and see if they will work on my layout. Didn't think they would due to length of loco and it would have to stay as 2-8-0 but success reported above is encouraging.

3. On another note I agree with  the comments of gr.king, DRM, 84A (and others previously) above about Rob's excellent images of the P2. I feel they enhance these threads, and have been very useful in showing what the Railroad P2 would look like with full lining and the correct lettering style, before the main range P2 came out.  So thanks to Rob.

cheers,

Bill    (committed P2 fan).

• Like 1

Had a go at fitting flanged trailing wheels.  The flangeless wheels drop out easily enough, held in by a small keeper plate like the arrangement on A4s, rebuilt WCs etc.  Having rumaged through various boxes of wheels I was having trouble finding a set of flanged wheels the right diameter on an axle without pinpoints. Then I thought that Edward Thompson was very keen on standardisation so the trailing wheels from an A2/1 pacific could well be the right diameter.  :-)  Having found the Nu-cast box for a not quite completed A2/1 kit, I was in luck, the right sized wheels, right dia axle etc.  The wheelset drops in ok, but as 34theletterbetweenb&d said, the flanges tend to rub against the cab floor mouldings. Also the wheels are then carried too high to rest on the rails (like the flangeless ones). I loosened the keeper plate (1 screw holds it in) and this allowed more freedom for the axle.

Loco ran ok around 30" dia curves, however the trailing wheels sometimes turned ok but at times  one wheel tended  to twist upwards. There probably needs to be  just slightly more clearance for the axle, or a means of lightly springing it downwards to keep it on the rail. My rebuilt w/cs are ok with the Hornby flanged wheels that came with the loco, but those don't have so much movement allowed (possibly there is too much sideways movement with the P2, also the wheels I'm using have slightly narrower treads I think).

Anyway, there's the story of my first attempt. Think it will work with a bit of tweaking, needs a keeper plate that curves down to let the wheels run lower down.  Can't see much of the wheels below the side frames anyway, (less of the wheel that the A4 with a similar arrangement) so model may have been designed deliberately with lower frames to hide the trailing wheels more.  Whether it's worth doing, I'm not yet sure - but you can (just) see the trailing wheels going round now so that must be a bonus.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has managed to get this to work reliably, may not be worth it for tighter radius curves.

Would also just like to add my appreciation for the images - I especially like the first one!

Thanks. From now on they will only be in threads I start, or some other non-product threads like the Lunester Lounge.

I have a superb new R3207 and notice the front of the chimney is slightly high. Curses! Ah well, out with the file! (body off etc too tricky for me I think)

Rob (out for a drive shortly, springtime weather, lovely)

Thanks. From now on they will only be in threads I start, or some other non-product threads like the Lunester Lounge.

I have a superb new R3207 and notice the front of the chimney is slightly high. Curses! Ah well, out with the file! (body off etc too tricky for me I think)

Rob (out for a drive shortly, springtime weather, lovely)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rob your images have enhanced threads on here keep on adding them to thread whoever as started it.

Having your images to view it is like a book with information about say the P2 but you need images to  

stop the topic being dull. Like I have said in past post ,don`t stop posting image on threads due to a winger

on here.

D.R.M.

• Like 1

Guys do you think it might be time to move on from the discussion around the desire/ lack of it for Rob's pics? 

Some folks - myself included - are very impressed by them, and with the lack of colour pics around of the P2s in their heyday, recognise this as an artistic endeavour in its own right. Others disagree, as is their right, but the level of vitriol got way too high.

To call Coachman a winger is IMHO inappropriate - Larry is one of the finest modellers in our hobby, and he also helps and inspires others. We are all mourning the hobby's loss of Dave Shakespeare, who was widely respected not just for his inspirational modelling, but also for his Yorkshireman's habit of straight talking.

He was equally respected for never dropping the argument to the level of insult, and I'd like to recommend we all follow his example when it comes to sharing our opinions.

Peter

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Finally made it to Arcadia in Shaw. What a fantastic model shop. It's the type of place you could spend hours browsing in. Was even offered a cup of tea. But the stock they have is fantastic , All UK outline and continental too. Anyway long and the short of it is that I picked up an R3207 Cock of the North. At a good price of £110. Plenty left in stock and more coming, so if anyone is looking for R3207 at a good price Arcadia has them. Really this is the type of model shop that deserves support. Heartily recommend it.

Whilst a bit of humour has to be preferable to todays all-too-common theatrical displays of exaggerated shared public "grief", maybe we should all consider the eventual implications of a steady loss of expert modellers from this website.

Indeed there is a site for RM Web refugees on Facebook already !! quite sad.

This is simply due to mindless nonsense/attitudes of the minority that appears here on a regular basis.

Edited by micklner

I myself do admire the broad range of talents on this site. One should remember that the reasons why people come here are as diverse as the people themselves. Some just want news and reviews of what is out there, some want to know the best way to operate and maintain the model, others want expert detailing and weathering tips for the model concerned while others like to share turning their model into a work of art. And doubtless there are many other reasons.... 

When/if I get the TTS P2, I hope to do a video of it and share it with everyone - doubtless some will be faster than me in doing that but hey, I won't be jelous!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Guys do you think it might be time to move on from the discussion around the desire/ lack of it for Rob's pics? 

Some folks - myself included - are very impressed by them, and with the lack of colour pics around of the P2s in their heyday, recognise this as an artistic endeavour in its own right. Others disagree, as is their right, but the level of vitriol got way too high.

To call Coachman a winger is IMHO inappropriate - Larry is one of the finest modellers in our hobby, and he also helps and inspires others. We are all mourning the hobby's loss of Dave Shakespeare, who was widely respected not just for his inspirational modelling, but also for his Yorkshireman's habit of straight talking.

He was equally respected for never dropping the argument to the level of insult, and I'd like to recommend we all follow his example when it comes to sharing our opinions.

Peter

Rob's work has an element of the "Marmite" about it and I have to agree that it sheds little or no light on the topic of many threads it crops up in.

Maybe it should have a thread of its own for its admirers to follow and to keep "unbelievers" from stumbling upon it all over the place and getting upset.

John

• Like 1

I myself do admire the broad range of talents on this site. One should remember that the reasons why people come here are as diverse as the people themselves. Some just want news and reviews of what is out there, some want to know the best way to operate and maintain the model, others want expert detailing and weathering tips for the model concerned while others like to share turning their model into a work of art. And doubtless there are many other reasons.... 

When/if I get the TTS P2, I hope to do a video of it and share it with everyone - doubtless some will be faster than me in doing that but hey, I won't be jelous!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Look forward to seeing your video of your TTS P2.

D.R.M.

If I'm honest I'm getting really p*****d off with all the bitchyness and backbiting from a growing number of contributors on RMweb. I have, for many years, looked with admiration at the skills and ingenuity shown by many of you who have posted pictures and descriptions of their work in various parts of the forums.

Could we please get back to what RMweb has been renown for because if this attitude continues it will become the laughing stock of the modelling forums.

Every contributor should have respect for another's contribution as many of us can only dream of the levels of skill shown - be it with their hands using tools and paint or with a computer program showing what we could only dream of creating should we be physically able to. I have been inspired by many, many of the articles and pictures of both real models and computer enhanced models and as a result my skills and approach to modelling have grown because of this.

If we cannot all get on together and accept that we will all have different approaches to what 'modelling' is RMweb may well need to censor every article in future in case it offends someone with a radically differing viewpoint.

End of rant - now off to weather a loco based on a computer enhanced pictures of the real thing - why? Because I want to!

Martin. 

• Like 3

1. Had a problem with the loco derailing on a particular piece of track which should have been 30" constant radius.  Despite track pins, glued ballast etc. it turned out that the track had slowly moved into two curves meeting at a sharp angle. Think this happened because I'd cut a notch in the top of the rails at that point  as part of a "rail joint noise" experiment. That had also pushed one rail too low. Bit of work with a tracksetta and a pair of pliers restored order - however the P2 was the only loco to have found this problem. Even my Jamieson V2 with a long coupled wheelbase (and very little play in the wheels) was running over curve ok. All is now well and P2 continues to perform faultlessly. Just need the etched plates to arrive now.

2. Going to have a go with flanged trailing wheels and see if they will work on my layout. Didn't think they would due to length of loco and it would have to stay as 2-8-0 but success reported above is encouraging.

3. On another note I agree with  the comments of gr.king, DRM, 84A (and others previously) above about Rob's excellent images of the P2. I feel they enhance these threads, and have been very useful in showing what the Railroad P2 would look like with full lining and the correct lettering style, before the main range P2 came out.  So thanks to Rob.

cheers,

Bill    (committed P2 fan).

I've just bought mine at the REC show at Woking. I was with a colleague helping him out on his trade stand and nearby was a chap with lots of temptations (of the railway kind!) of which were several P2s. At the end of the Saturday there was just one left. First thing Sunday morning it grabbed my cheque book out of my pocket and paid for it before I could change my mind!! The kind gentlemen  of "Loddon Road" gave it a good test run, despite their allegiance to all things Southern/GWR. The P2 impressed them, so it had to be good.

Back home i found, as you stated, that the front drivers are somewhat sensitive, a very good tool for finding track defects.!!? When I build locos these days I always compensate the chassis with a beam system. I am surprised that there is little or no vertical axle play, which will cause the front wheels to lift over the slightest "hump". I'm a bit reluctant to jepardise the warranty by modding anything, but if the problem occurs elsewhere on my layout, short of relaying a hundred yards or so of track, some form of compensation may have to happen. Surprisingly it did negotiate a Peco small radius (24") point going forward, but not backwards against the tender's closer draglink setting. My track is code 100 insulfrog, 3ft minimum radii except the aforementioned point. So I have tested it on code 75 (SMP) and Peco 100 for anyone who wants to know. Yes it is a bit fussy, but on good (level) track it runs very well and as importantly, it is BEAUTIFUL!!!

Tod

• Like 1

HI. I gave in and purchased R3207. As Tod says even at the closest tender setting it is ok on 2' radius points but it has detected one curve in the hidden sidings which is under 2' and an unsuspected kink at a rail joint.

However I have a query.  Should the front of the tender be green? At the very least the area under the shovelling plate should be black. My only other loco in LNER livery, 4472, has an all black tender front.  Apologies if this has already been raised but I could not find it in a quick run through 50 odd pages.

Thank you.

Roger.

HI. I gave in and purchased R3207. As Tod says even at the closest tender setting it is ok on 2' radius points but it has detected one curve in the hidden sidings which is under 2' and an unsuspected kink at a rail joint.

However I have a query.  Should the front of the tender be green? At the very least the area under the shovelling plate should be black. My only other loco in LNER livery, 4472, has an all black tender front.  Apologies if this has already been raised but I could not find it in a quick run through 50 odd pages.

Thank you.

Roger.

It has come up before.

I have painted the floor area of the tender black.

Right or wrong it does look better.

Jackson Evans plates arrived today from Model Master, will fit tomorrow.

Bernard