East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

The residents of Wolvercote are superior to the rest of us in that their heightened sensitivity to noise requires that special measures be taken, which are not provided for anybody else. They should try living on my Mum's road in another, not quite as privileged, part of Oxford, with constant traffic throughout the day, including at least twice an hour Ambulance sirens on their way to or from the JR hospital, and no safe place to cross the road. Truly, they are not on the same planet as the rest of us. And as Stationmaster points out, the railway was there first - It opened in 1851 !     

The residents of Wolvercote are superior to the rest of us in that their heightened sensitivity to noise requires that special measures be taken, which are not provided for anybody else. They should try living on my Mum's road in another, not quite as privileged, part of Oxford, with constant traffic throughout the day, including at least twice an hour Ambulance sirens on their way to or from the JR hospital, and no safe place to cross the road. Truly, they are not on the same planet as the rest of us. And as Stationmaster points out, the railway was there first - It opened in 1851 !     

If you look at the surnames of some of the principle objectors you will notice that they were not from around the area (country) when the railway was fully operational until the sixties. A lot of the people from the village of Wolvercote are long standing village families who have been born there and, are not in the main, the people complaining. There are loads of new flats that have been built over the gardens of older residences and are closer to the railway, and of course the site of the original Osberton Radiators factory which is now crammed with luxury housing. These people are bored with life and have to have something to complain about!

Oxford has a long standing transport problem in that the ring road is not a ring road as such.......................it is just all the major routes congregating on a link road around the city. As soon as anybody tries to do anything to improve the situation.............ie new rail link, better bus services...................then it is the newer residents, who haven't the memories of what it used to be like, seem to get listened to the most. Unfortunately the objectors get listened to by  Oxford City Council......who control the area in question...........and it is then up to Oxfordshire County Council to object to the likes of Network Rail, as they are ultimately responsible for all transport improvements in the County, which includes the City. Just look at how long the consultation is going to take over the extension of the East West line from Bicester to Milton Keynes............up to 2020 I believe!

Perhaps they should get the dedicated people tracklaying the extension to Broadway on board................at least I may get the chance to travel on that!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If you look at the surnames of some of the principle objectors you will notice that they were not from around the area (country) when the railway was fully operational until the sixties. A lot of the people from the village of Wolvercote are long standing village families who have been born there and, are not in the main, the people complaining. There are loads of new flats that have been built over the gardens of older residences and are closer to the railway, and of course the site of the original Osberton Radiators factory which is now crammed with luxury housing. These people are bored with life and have to have something to complain about!

Oxford has a long standing transport problem in that the ring road is not a ring road as such.......................it is just all the major routes congregating on a link road around the city. As soon as anybody tries to do anything to improve the situation.............ie new rail link, better bus services...................then it is the newer residents, who haven't the memories of what it used to be like, seem to get listened to the most. Unfortunately the objectors get listened to by  Oxford City Council......who control the area in question...........and it is then up to Oxfordshire County Council to object to the likes of Network Rail, as they are ultimately responsible for all transport improvements in the County, which includes the City. Just look at how long the consultation is going to take over the extension of the East West line from Bicester to Milton Keynes............up to 2020 I believe!

Perhaps they should get the dedicated people tracklaying the extension to Broadway on board................at least I may get the chance to travel on that!

Well does that mean that the new east-west Varsity Line will have to end at Bicester, because that line is going to get a damn sight busier in the coming years.

Maybe they'll decide to start the Expressway from around there as well, compulsory purchase, flatten the lot and put a new depot to service the trains and a motorway junction with the A34. Problem solved.....

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I sincerely hope Oxon County Council don't go wasting any of their slice of my Council Tax on the brayings of this pack of incomers.  They moved into the area, the railway was on the map before they got there, if they don't like it they should move - end of story.  We shot down some halfwit in Newport who started complaining about East Usk marshalling yard getting busier and I went back through 50 years of WTT information and proved that it wasn't - the Council immediately withdrew the backing they had been giving him against BR and refused to progress a pending court case on his behalf

These people area menace and should just be ignored.

• Like 2

I sincerely hope Oxon County Council don't go wasting any of their slice of my Council Tax on the brayings of this pack of incomers.  They moved into the area, the railway was on the map before they got there, if they don't like it they should move - end of story.  We shot down some halfwit in Newport who started complaining about East Usk marshalling yard getting busier and I went back through 50 years of WTT information and proved that it wasn't - the Council immediately withdrew the backing they had been giving him against BR and refused to progress a pending court case on his behalf

These people area menace and should just be ignored.

Well said Mike! It's just barmy when you stand back and look at it. Slightly off topic but there are two residents who live alongside the Knighton Jcn - Burton line who are trying their level best to get the line closed, a local councillor no less who lives in the old station house at Desford and an MP type who lives close to the line further up near Moira. What they fail to comprehend is that some of the people they claim to 'speak on behalf of' depend on the line for their livelihood, you couldn't make it up!

Edited by Rugd1022

I do wonder if a lot of this sort of nonsense is down the compensation culture and the idiots thinking that if they make enough noise they'll get some juicy compensation?

As far as I'm concerned, and sorry to repeat it, they chose to live near a railway line and if they don't like it they can move.

And if they were unaware of the existence of the railway when they bought their houses, then they could have an entertaining time sueing their solicitors for not mentioning it in the searches.

• Like 2

All reminds me of people who purchased houses next to the Chiltern line in Aylesbury in the early 90s and then moaned when 165s were left idling near them after Chiltern Route Modernisation.

Should have let loose the piquant odour of 115s at Marylebone at them - to-misquote Apocalypse Now - 'I love the smell of diesel in the morning'.

In former employment I dealt with complaints from a gentleman who purchased a house called Sawmill Cottage and then proceeded to moan about noise from said sawmill which provided local sustainable employment and had done for many many years.

Some people need to be told - 'I hear what you say - but there's something called wider public interest - now get off'. That includes politicians and local members. Too much parochial self interest not enough national interest.

To those that are complaining about noise from a pre existing railway - tough.

Merry Christmas !

Matt W

Edited by D826
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

And if they were unaware of the existence of the railway when they bought their houses, then they could have an entertaining time sueing their solicitors for not mentioning it in the searches.

I got involved in exactly such a case as 'an expert witness' (although thanks in part to my statements it never got to court and was settled in chambers),  But in that case the buyers sued the vendor and not the solicitor who had acted for them (or an optician for failing to provide them with specs to see the blindingly obvious piles of sleepers and ballast).  The claimants lost - fortunately.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I do wonder if a lot of this sort of nonsense is down the compensation culture and the idiots thinking that if they make enough noise they'll get some juicy compensation?

As far as I'm concerned, and sorry to repeat it, they chose to live near a railway line and if they don't like it they can move.

it must be something about the chilterns!

in the turnback siding at gerrards cross we were told we couldnt take units to the end of the siding as there was a high court injunction taken out by one of the residents of the big houses in the cutting above that prevented us having units running in the turnback so trains had to stay at the station end of the siding

also to top it off if we did go in there for any length of time (i think the max we were ever booked in there was about 45 mins) we had to shut the units down, but in the winter you could leave the lead coach running to provide heat in the cab which involved getting down outside the unit and starting the engine locally

of course im having great pleasure since the rulebook change last week blowing the horn right up til midnight now! 

• Like 7

I remember years ago that the BR DCE's office I worked at received a letter from someone who had bought a house next to one of our railways, and demanded that we immediately relay the track from jointed to CWR. 

We passed the letter round the office had a good laugh and chucked it in the bin.

• Like 3

I remember years ago that the BR DCE's office I worked at received a letter from someone who had bought a house next to one of our railways, and demanded that we immediately relay the track from jointed to CWR. 

We passed the letter round the office had a good laugh and chucked it in the bin.

Time for a quick visit from the Dynamic Track Stabiliser.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well does that mean that the new east-west Varsity Line will have to end at Bicester, because that line is going to get a damn sight busier in the coming years.

Maybe they'll decide to start the Expressway from around there as well, compulsory purchase, flatten the lot and put a new depot to service the trains and a motorway junction with the A34. Problem solved.....

Dave

Well said Mike! It's just barmy when you stand back and look at it. Slightly off topic but there are two residents who live alongside the Knighton Jcn - Burton line who are trying their level best to get the line closed, a local councillor no less who lives in the old station house at Desford and an MP type who lives close to the line further up near Moira. What they fail to comprehend is that some of the people they claim to 'speak on behalf of' depend on the line for their livelihood, you couldn't make it up!

Well without that line,the good citizens of our capital are denied delivery of their shiny new Transport For London trains,though atm there does not appear to be any other use for it,despite there being serious moves to reopen the Burton -Leicester line to passenger traffic a while ago (whatever happened to that idea ?)

Meanwhile.....further up the line as it were.....in the tongue of land between North Staffs Junction ,the Derby-Crewe line and Willington station on the Derby-Birmingham line and immediately alongside the adjacent Trent and Mersey canal and a busy open all day pub.there is a spanking brand new housing development,titled (truly you couldn't make this one up) "Peacehaven Meadows".

Litigation anyone?

• Like 3

in the turnback siding at gerrards cross we were told we couldnt take units to the end of the siding as there was a high court injunction taken out by one of the residents of the big houses in the cutting above that prevented us having units running in the turnback so trains had to stay at the station end of the siding

also to top it off if we did go in there for any length of time (i think the max we were ever booked in there was about 45 mins) we had to shut the units down, but in the winter you could leave the lead coach running to provide heat in the cab which involved getting down outside the unit and starting the engine locally

of course im having great pleasure since the rulebook change last week blowing the horn right up til midnight now! 

I was gobsmacked when I saw the notice about that rule change Jim, at last someone in NR has had the balls to resort to common sense! Hours of fun to be had between 23.59 and 06.00.... :D 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the tongue of land between North Staffs Junction ,the Derby-Crewe line and Willington station on the Derby-Birmingham line and immediately alongside the adjacent Trent and Mersey canal and a busy open all day pub.there is a spanking brand new housing development,titled (truly you couldn't make this one up) "Peacehaven Meadows".

its right next to the whistle board for the foot crossing just beyond willington crossing too, wonder how long before they try to get that removed?

nice uphill grade from north staffs jn too, i certainly give my loco's a workout whenever i head along there

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

its right next to the whistle board for the foot crossing just beyond willington crossing too, wonder how long before they try to get that removed?

nice uphill grade from north staffs jn too, i certainly give my loco's a workout whenever i head along there

Just the place to get dug in with a pair of Class 37s and a nice heavy load by the sound of things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hammer, nail, head. I think it is quite telling how most of these objections suddenly go away once the loot is dished out.

And yet my first home after marriage was no more than 10 yards from the Marylebone line near High Wycombe. The suburban service was not that intense, but there were still a fair number of freights and occasional fast trains to Birmingham. 

I soon got used to the noise, and had no trouble sleeping during the day - when on nights.

In fact, so much did I get used to the trains that one day I was taping a mates LP (naughty!) and was hoping not to have a train ruin the recording; so after completing the taping I played it back just to check, only to find that right in the middle of a quiet part of one track an 8-car dmu had rasped past and I had not noticed it at all while listening to the original.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

In the days when NSE people paid me to go to work, I recall a letter from the Board's solicitor, asking about train service patterns and the future of the line between Mitcham Junction and Sutton. A couple were essaying buying a house. The line is in cutting near their intended property. Apparently "Get f****d!" was not seen as an acceptable response.

• Like 1