East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium

On the Bletchley side of the line. I have the run round loop signal behind our house. Quite like hearing the old oil burners grumble waiting for a clear route over the flyover

When I was a lad we had 9F's on Iron Ore Trains climbing the bank as they came off the Bletchley Flyover on their way to South Wales.

• Like 3

Oxford Times report and (short) video of the 'official' opening train to Marylebone, 0720 from Oxford this morning (although the service actually started yesterday, first day of the new timetable):

www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/14959830

Surprisingly, the train (a loco hauled set) departed from the Down main platform (to me, always, Platform 2, but now officially Platform 4); Presumably it reversed south of Oxford station? Even more surprisingly, there are no reports of any of the delicate residents of North Oxford being overcome by the awful noise of the new train service.

I look forward to using this route as an alternative to the GWR.

• Like 2

All reminds me of people who purchased houses next to the Chiltern line in Aylesbury in the early 90s and then moaned when 165s were left idling near them after Chiltern Route Modernisation.

That I can understand. It's one thing to buy a house next to a line where you can have a reasonable expectation that trains come and go, it's another altogether to have the trains parked up outside your house with the engines running. Seems to me that Chiltern were being unreasonable neighbours.

Oxford Times report and (short) video of the 'official' opening train to Marylebone, 0720 from Oxford this morning (although the service actually started yesterday, first day of the new timetable):

www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/14959830

Surprisingly, the train (a loco hauled set) departed from the Down main platform (to me, always, Platform 2, but now officially Platform 4); Presumably it reversed south of Oxford station? Even more surprisingly, there are no reports of any of the delicate residents of North Oxford being overcome by the awful noise of the new train service.

I look forward to using this route as an alternative to the GWR.

I think the beef the residents had over the lack of 'quiet track' was that the Council had granted planning permission or suchlike (although whats it really go to do with them ?) to NR on the basis that dampened track (rubber cushioned ?) was used through Wolvercote. NR then said they weren't going to use the quiet track anymore as it was too expensive and wouldn't help with the noise much anyway, and the Council did nothing.

I lived in a house in Appleford backing onto the line for several years in the 80s - with far heavier freight trains than today (MGR's and aggregates) and a major order of magnitude more noticeable than what will go past Wolvercote and after a while you simply don't notice them anymore

Are these to be loco hauled services on a regular basis, or was this something a bit special for the first day?

One working each way on weekdays, I believe, is Class 68 worked

And if they were unaware of the existence of the railway when they bought their houses, then they could have an entertaining time sueing their solicitors for not mentioning it in the searches.

Or not. As it was never my job as a former conveyancing solicitor to point out things the other side of the garden fence. Oh and this would probably not have shown up on any local search

• RMweb Premium

In the mid '80s I bought a flat overlooking Cambridge station, the south end of the carriage sidings and the carriage washer road were right behind it then came the freight yard (at the time quite busy with Speedlink etc. traffic), then the station itself and the loco stabling sidings.

At the time I made the purchase I remember the solicitor specifically pointing out that the railway was right outside and if it felt like it BR could put up a big depot building (for example) without having to seek planning permission (I think he said).  Times must have changed!

I took note of what he said, but it didn't concern me and for several years I enjoyed the grandstand view from the kitchen window!  At first there was quite a lot of noise at night as the loco hauled sets were shunted by 08s as was the freight yard, with the 21T hoppers for the Fen Drayton sand traffic being knocked about like skittles at night (I think they were cutting out cripples) but I soon got used to it, and over the years the passenger trains became EMUs which hardly made a noise at all, and the freight died away almost to nothing.

• Like 1

Planning permission may not be needed by railways for many things, because they constitute "permitted development", directly associated with the business of operating a railway. However, a local authority can make requirements in respect of some aspects of PD, and, even when there is no obligation, railways will often concede points to neighbours simply to make everyone's lives easier.

I've forgotten the detail, but BR tested the PD rights, and was upheld in the courts, with a signalbox at IIRC Macclesfield.

Some of the PD rights are quite extensive, stemming from the original acts under which railways were built, and in some cases subsequent acts covering things like electrification - there is a lot of "make and forever maintain" , drafted in very broad terms, in those acts.

Kevin

Edited by Nearholmer

That I can understand. It's one thing to buy a house next to a line where you can have a reasonable expectation that trains come and go, it's another altogether to have the trains parked up outside your house with the engines running. Seems to me that Chiltern were being unreasonable neighbours.

Quite the reverse - I think Chiltern addressed it at the time by requiring engines be shut down if stabled for more than a certain period - very reasonable.

If you buy a property next to operational railway land activity may intensify - that's a risk you take.

No one halts the traffic on the A4 into London on the basis of noise and fumes.

Proportionality required at all times in my opinion.

Best Regards

Matt W

The Chiltern LHCS reverses at Hinksey, I believe, since it won't fit into the bay platforms (1 & 2).

New lighting has been installed alongside the north end of No.2 Reception at Hinksey to help with the reversing move.

I got quite a shock last week as I approached Oxford with 6V25 and saw that the lovely old GW canopy had been removed from the up platform..!

​Houses were built alongside the line out of Aylesbury opposite the stadium and guess what they discovered trains actually used the line twice every hour.This was in 115 days when BR were trying to close the line down ,they shouted in the local press about noise and vibration we want our rates reduced and they got it .Most people in the town were of the opinion that all our rates should be reduced because of the traffic but no dice.The class 165 sidings are well away from houses and yet they still moaned but didn't get what they wanted .The attitude to railways and other transport systems is I will use them but don't put them next to me.

• Like 4

Prior to the construction of Hitchin Flyover a local campaigner made the mistake of calling at my door. His major objection was the construction traffic going past his house. I pointed to the new housing estate opposite my house and asked if he'd objected to the construction traffic that created and the permanent increase in traffic when the residents moved in. Funnily enough he hadn't. Also the fill for the embankment was sourced locally by shaving off a bit of a side of a hill, crossing only a public footpath in the process. The crossing point gained a hut and a keeper with traffic lights to give the footpath priority. 

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 8

New lighting has been installed alongside the north end of No.2 Reception at Hinksey to help with the reversing move.

I got quite a shock last week as I approached Oxford with 6V25 and saw that the lovely old GW canopy had been removed from the up platform..!

That's the 1910 canopy which, when Oxford station was rebuilt (extremely) cheaply in the early 1970s, was simply refurbished, leaving a gap between it and the new canopy at the station buildings. I hadn't realised it was being removed, will it be replaced at some stage ?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of the PD rights are quite extensive, stemming from the original acts under which railways were built, and in some cases subsequent acts covering things like electrification - there is a lot of "make and forever maintain" , drafted in very broad terms, in those acts.

True. Duckponds and church rooves come to mind as maintainable items agreed by the railway pioneers.. 

• Like 1

Except that I think those are obligations to "make and forever maintain" things, rather than rights to do the same.

Can be a subtle distinction, though, because, while most stations, for instance, were proposed by the railways, and are matters of right through the relevant act, some are matters of obligation. Eridge, which I think you know, I'm fairly certain is subject to an obligation, being the price exacted by the owners of Eridge Castle for withdrawing their objection to the construction of the line.

K

Travelled from Haddenham & Thame Parkway to Oxford and back today. Both trains busy, Chiltern Trains must be happy. Can't believe how many years it's likely to be before I can travel on the tracks that disappear off at Bicester towards Bletchley - what a hopeless country!

• RMweb Premium

Can't believe how many years it's likely to be before I can travel on the tracks that disappear off at Bicester towards Bletchley - what a hopeless country!

Looking forward to the eventual re-opening, although without the likes of Swanbourne Sidings etc it won't have the same appeal.

Interestingly, the Bletchley end of the Branch-line terminates at what is now called "Swanbourne Siding" which is located at the site of the old Newton Longville Signalbox which controlled the entrance / exit to London Brickworks Siding. The former "Swanbourne Sidings" was located a mile or so further to the west on the outskirts of Newton Longville Village, Swanbourne Station was located a further couple of miles to the west.

Edited by Pannier Tank

Well my local newspaper, The Oxford Mail, was full of news about the reopening yesterday and the naming by Michael Portillo of a class 68  68010 'Oxford Flyer'. Its just a bit of a pity the press and a reporter on board the press train yesterday tried to paint a bad picture of some of the comments made by the travelling public. I know from experience that the travelling public aren't at their best first thing on a Monday morning so would probably not give such favourable answers when going to work.....................especially if they had to use Southern who were on strike!

The positive news is however that the East West line from Bicester to Bletchley has received government backing to be fast tracked and construction may be put out to private contractors to speed the process up. Work is due to start next year and completion is set to be before 2020. 

Edited by BrushVeteran
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

The positive news is however that the East West line from Bicester to Bletchley has received government backing to be fast tracked and construction may be put out to private contractors to speed the process up. Work is due to start next year and completion is set to be before 2020. 

Albeit with a missed opportunity, no Electrification.

• RMweb Premium

Albeit with a missed opportunity, no Electrification.

I suggest you have a read through the GWR or MML electrification threads before commenting further on this aspect as they will aptly explain why it is totally unrealistic at this time.