East West rail, Bletchley to oxford line

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, caradoc said:

We used to do the same from Oxford, on the bus which had replaced the train to Bletchley. If we had enough money we would take the train to Bedford St Johns and wander round to Midland. We also used to visit (or at least try to visit) Bletchley Depot and on one occasion, on a organised school trip, visited Bletchley PSB. I keep meaning to revisit and take a trip to Bedford, although the service does not appear particularly reliable just now !

We weren't bold enough to try Bletchley depot, we just hung around on the station to cop electric locos and AM10s, but once or twice we ventured further to Oxford on the replacement bus.  The whole journey wasn't fast, and it made quite a long day of it!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 31A said:

We weren't bold enough to try Bletchley depot, we just hung around on the station to cop electric locos and AM10s, but once or twice we ventured further to Oxford on the replacement bus.  The whole journey wasn't fast, and it made quite a long day of it!

The bus certainly was slow, serving most if not all of the former rail stations, and in addition Buckingham (which did make sense). Now of course it has been replaced by the half-hourly X5 coach to Cambridge via Milton Keynes. One day at Bletchley I met a fellow spotter who was underlining the AM10s that passed, but in the ER AM6 section of his Ian Allan book; I was able to put him right before too much damage had been done !

Our other bus trip in the 70s from Oxford to exotic locations was the joint Percivals/Premier Travel service from Oxford to Hitchin and Cambridge, also effectively replaced by the X5. Cambridge, with its Class 03 station pilots, was a delight for us WR boys !

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

On a Saturday we use to cycle from Sandy to spot at Bedford Midland, in the winter there was a lull during the day so we'd catch a DMU from St Johns to Bletchley. But with paper rounds not being the highest paid work we wouldn't always have enough money for the train back, so cycled all the way from Bletchley to BM, then back to Sandy.  

Never seemed like hard work but now I wonder how I made it over Brogborough hill so may times !

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

On a Saturday we use to cycle from Sandy to spot at Bedford Midland, in the winter there was a lull during the day so we'd catch a DMU from St Johns to Bletchley. But with paper rounds not being the highest paid work we wouldn't always have enough money for the train back, so cycled all the way from Bletchley to BM, then back to Sandy.  

Never seemed like hard work but now I wonder how I made it over Brogborough hill so may times !

Would be a brave man to try that now on those roads!

• Agree 3

The furthest I cycled from Oxford was Luton (once), however I sometimes went to Tring, and regularly to Didcot; For the latter, often using the A34 Abingdon bypass. These days I would hesitate to drive that road, never mind cycle it !

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

You can cycle Bletchley to Bedford and on to Sandy on a very benign route via Cranfield.

You don't think we had maps as kids....Half the time we went the wrong way and doubled back on ourselves :D

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Another old pic dug out of the old photo box. Taken late 70s/early 80s?

This, I think, is Verney Junction but it might be Claydon or Winslow.

I used to have other pics which I am scrabbling to find - looks like I may be looking through hundreds of negs which is very slow work.

old oxford to Bletchley.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, highpeakman said:

Another old pic dug out of the old photo box. Taken late 70s/early 80s?

This, I think, is Verney Junction but it might be Claydon or Winslow.

Looks like Verney junction.

This house has the same characteristics:

https://goo.gl/maps/VbUTMyRbAYLgUC3N9

800px-Verney_Junction_station_(1983).JPG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Yes, VJ, with the pylon route from Claydon Grid Sub to Buckingham in the background.

Thanks to you and Melmerby (and for the much better picture!). 

Electrification of the network including EWR does appear to be back on the agenda at the DfT now Grayling has left, the 2050 net-zero commitment looms ever larger and there's more understanding about the limitations of battery/hydrogen propulsion.

RAIL are quoting a statement from EWR about the short 4 (+2) year lease for self-powered trains that says:

In a statement, EWR Co said that this prioritises getting passenger services up and running as quickly as possible while creating time to explore a wider range of green technology. It also said it would allow for a smoother transition to electrification across the whole EWR line from Oxford to Cambridge

The DfT's Baroness Vere confirms yet another post-Grayling rethink... 

The strategic scope for East West Rail is currently being developed, including options for depots. Electrification is being reconsidered after previously being descoped to reduce capital costs. At a minimum, passive provision is being provided in construction so that electrification may be implemented in the future subject to value for money and affordability.

Edited by Christopher125
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The former station site at Claydon viewed from the level crossing. It was known as Claydon as it sat between Steeple Claydon and Middle Claydon.

The upper view was taken on 10th May 2015 following previous track clearing activity to allow inspections to take place. Previously it had been very overgrown.

The latest picture shows a work site has now been established next to the former up platform.

The single track is just visible in the roadway which formed the level crossing.

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
Images attached
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Calvert - Then and now

Top - 9th September 2015 with a more recent view (bottom). The head shunt and points provide the reference point.

Calvert was on the former Great Central London Extension with its typical island platform. It will also be on the new line from Aylesbury to join up with the East-West line at Claydon Junction.

The line through Calvert is still in use by bin liner trains serving the landfill site at the former brick works.

DSC_0275.JPG

DSC_0019.JPG

Edited by 1E BoY
spacing correction
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Calvert Landfill Site

Top picture shows Class 66 No. 66092 is running round an empty rubbish train on 9th September 2015.

Below a more recent view.

Great Central island platform on the left. Station was similar to the one at Quorn & Woodhouse on the preserved Great Central in Leicestershire.

DSC_0271.JPG

DSC_0010.JPG

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, 1E BoY said:

Calvert - Then and now

Top - 9th September 2015 with a more recent view (bottom). The head shunt and points provide the reference point.

Calvert was on the former Great Central London Extension with its typical island platform. It will also be on the new line from Aylesbury to join up with the East-West line at Claydon Junction.

The line through Calvert is still in use by bin liner trains serving the landfill site at the former brick works.

I wonder if the junction at Claydon will be given its old name?  (Claydon LNE Junction)

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I wonder if the junction at Claydon will be given its old name?  (Claydon LNE Junction)

Probably not the S&T seem to enjoy dreaming up un-necessary new names for things often with a Western Region taint.

Claydon Road Junction? 

Just now, Nearholmer said:

I love the word 'taint' there; so expressive!

Spot the bloke who's family spent five generations working on the LNWR mainline.

I did have to do some work on the West London Junction to Penzance branch in the final months of my career. After a lifetime of working on the mainline, I found the branch a bit disconcerting. Too quiet, kept giving me an uneasy feeling that something had gone wrong.

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Trog said:

Probably not the S&T seem to enjoy dreaming up un-necessary new names for things often with a Western Region taint.

Claydon Road Junction? 

If you're going to do it proper Western style it would have to be 'Calvert Junction' as the absolute minimum but preferably something like 'Aylesbury Vale Parkway Junction'.  'Shepherd's Furze Junction' would give it a distinctly GNR flavour and would undoubtedly cause even more questions to be asked but if the GNR/LNER could name a junction after a field (Joan Croft Junction) I see nothing wrong with naming it after the nearest farm.   Mind you when the GWR adopted that sort of approach they often as not spelt the name wrongly so it would be something like 'Shepherds Firs Junction'.

Always good fun naming junctions - my biggest contribution to the art was naming 'Portbury Terminal Junction' at Avonmouth - which happens to be on the opposite side of the river from Portbury

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

If you're going to do it proper Western style it would have to be 'Calvert Junction' as the absolute minimum but preferably something like 'Aylesbury Vale Parkway Junction'.  'Shepherd's Furze Junction' would give it a distinctly GNR flavour and would undoubtedly cause even more questions to be asked but if the GNR/LNER could name a junction after a field (Joan Croft Junction) I see nothing wrong with naming it after the nearest farm.   Mind you when the GWR adopted that sort of approach they often as not spelt the name wrongly so it would be something like 'Shepherds Firs Junction'.

Always good fun naming junctions - my biggest contribution to the art was naming 'Portbury Terminal Junction' at Avonmouth - which happens to be on the opposite side of the river from Portbury

You sir, are a road learner's nightmare...! 

;)

• Funny 1