If you're new to the forum this is an ideal place to introduce yourself.

First reactions?

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Wow - a three-hour Driver Error, and the new content pages are getting no input from the database. Not looking good.

Yeah returned from Scotland today full of anticipation, but this is first post I have been able to make in 3 hrs of trying, Most of the time getting 'Driver Error' message too :icon_what: Looks good when it is working though!

Wow - a three-hour Driver Error, and the new content pages are getting no input from the database. Not looking good.

I've been quite happily posting away today on and off - am I the only one who's not experienced the forum going down at all?

It's only really been running at full tilt for a few days, given the extra plethora of members that suddenly appeared. It's bound to have some teething troubles - give it some time.

I personally am absolutely loving the new RMweb and am happy to be on my sixth or seventh dosing of humble pie! :D

Further to this comment, how does a blogger expect help to be offered, as his latest addition to the blog does not have the equivalent of the previous forum in being listed as a new entry.

Is it best to exit the blog if there is a query and post elsewhere, and how is the query to be posted so that it is noticed, as before it would have just joined the general list and been picked up as it got posted.

Well I think you've correctly answered your own question there Stephen. A blog is essentially a diary and the format doesn't lend itself to asking for help. If I was running a blog and needed to ask for help about something I would just start a new topic in the appropriate help section. The question of how is it noticed is no different from the old RMWeb - how did you notice topics of interest to you there?

Currently, I'm ambivalent about blogs, I can see why some would prefer them and others dislike them. So why not offer thread based OMW as per the old system as well as the blog format. That way people can choose what they like. Surely the whole point of the forum is to facilitate communication between like minded souls and not put up unneeded barriers?

I don't see a reason why anyone shouldn't prefer a OMW or layout thread over a blog. I have no objection to blogs per se; all I'm worried about is that there seems to be no way of 'watching' a blog or having a convenient record of comments made on a blog. These bars to accessibility don't make sense to me. These omissions of functionality will I feel make the blogs unequal in status and treatment as far as viewers are concerned. Layout and workbench areas tend to be the flagships of RMweb - why are we trying to justify reducing their usability?

• RMweb Gold

I have no objection to blogs per se; all I'm worried about is that there seems to be no way of 'watching' a blog or having a convenient record of comments made on a blog.

Not sure this is the place to go into details with these things, but most blogs have a box which says "My Blog Links" - where you can "track this blog" or add it to favourites. Once these are clicked, you can find them in your settings under the Layout and Blogs tab (a link called "Blog Tracker").

PS: And if you mark a blog as favourite it will appear at the top of the list of layouts and blogs, which is very convenient.

Yes, I was sat here all that time trying to give it the kiss of life. "Not looking good" isn't the most helpful comment in that context, I have explained that a move to a new server is imminent and everything that can be done is being done. Sitting there (virtually constantly) for 16 hours on a Sunday trying to keep in running wasn't my idea of fun either.

Well it's certainly different.

What hasn't helped is the fact that I've had my broadband down for three out of the last four days so I had a very steep learning curve on the new RMweb last night. I've not had any issues at all with the new one, I'm just having to wait for the old one to work again so I can transfer the details of Aberdeen Kirkhill to a blog. I'd have thought that most people would be settled into the new forum within a month.

Seems promising to me! I had to re-register but that wasn't a big hassle and it wasn't like I've been using the old forum for very long. Looking forward to starting a workbench blog and copying some post content over when I can, especially since there's a new project on my kitchen table this week.

The layout is clean too, and the AJAX features make everything feel all swish and modern. I think maybe there's a little bit too much white space at the moment, but I haven't had that long to adjust so my opinion may change.

Hands-down best feature (so far) is that the index links in the top left now go to the models in question - thanks *so* much for implementing this!

Cheers,

Will

• RMweb Gold

Yes, I was sat here all that time trying to give it the kiss of life. "Not looking good" isn't the most helpful comment in that context, I have explained that a move to a new server is imminent and everything that can be done is being done. Sitting there (virtually constantly) for 16 hours on a Sunday trying to keep in running wasn't my idea of fun either.

Please be assured that some of us out here are well aware of your commitment and hard work over recent weeks, and find the negativity being displayed in some parts of this thread rather disappointing. Having more time than some at my disposal, I've had the opportunity to follow the new server issues, and am as confident as you that this will stop the problems pronto.

Press on, Andy, as you know you're doing the right thing! As it's your forum and we don't pay there can't be any arguments about that!

I am, however, beginning to understand where the Daily Mail finds its readership!

It works, that's the main thing. I can see the added functionality appealing to a fair proportion of contributors, and it is still accessible enough for retards like me. If I have a doubt it is over the blog format for projects; blogging demands authoring skills, and as the torrent of unreadable blogs that may be found online confirm, these are not evenly distributed through the population. But one can choose not to access such stuff...

• RMweb Gold

Initial thoughts -

I like the overall look, it's cleaner.

But, I'm missing a couple of things - on any list of posts, there was a button to go directly to the last unread post on a thread - is there a new equivalent of this ?

When inside a thread, there was a button on each post to return you to the top of the page - this also seems to be missing in the new version.

But other than that - I'm still finding my feet.

Stu

• RMweb Gold

Initial thoughts -

I like the overall look, it's cleaner.

But, I'm missing a couple of things - on any list of posts, there was a button to go directly to the last unread post on a thread - is there a new equivalent of this ?

When inside a thread, there was a button on each post to return you to the top of the page - this also seems to be missing in the new version.

But other than that - I'm still finding my feet.

Stu

Pretty sure I've seen this covered somewhere,

but it depends on how you view the forum. On the Active Content and View New Topics buttons, the links in the list automatically take you to the first unread post. I think in the traditional forum view on the sub boards it still has the same little orange square next to the link that the old forum had.

If I have a doubt it is over the blog format for projects; blogging demands authoring skills, and as the torrent of unreadable blogs that may be found online confirm, these are not evenly distributed through the population. But one can choose not to access such stuff...

..........and then miss out on what are supposedly the main core areas of the forum!!?

I'm another who had to re-register, but I've kept the same name and avatar, couldn't see any reason to change.

I'm probably a luddite, if that's what you call someone who's used PCs since 1983, the Apple 3 anyone remember them? But it seems a bit overkill to have an avatar and a photo. No I'm not still using the Apple, it died decades ago. But isuppose that's what the software package comes with as standard.

As far as I can see, RMWeb has the same functionality as the previous incarnation, but with a new look and feel. One thing does puzzle me, in the DCC section what's the difference meant to be between Topics and the Help section. I fully approve of the idea of the Topics, as it brings the DCC Sound topic in out of the cold. However, I suspect that Topics will be ignored and every post will end up in DCC Help. Some sort of rubric as to when to use Help and when to post in Topics might be useful.

Pity that the previous threads have been left behind. As long as they remain accessible then at least we can refer back to them.

Haven't had any problems, apart from the server going down when I tried to access RMWeb or sometimes bombing out when I clicked on a topic (hope for your sake you get it sorted soon Andy). Been able to post new topics and reply without any problems, but I can't see me using the blog, or even visiting them. There could be 100s if not 1,000s and I've little enough spare time to do any modelling let alone wade through blogs, at least at the moment.

Anyway, thanks for everyone at RMWeb's efforts to keep us up to date.

• RMweb Gold
I'm missing a couple of things - on any list of posts, there was a button to go directly to the last unread post on a thread - is there a new equivalent of this ?

Hi Stu,

Same as before, click the orange icon:

post-1103-12552477746656.png

To return to the top of a page in your browser, press the HOME key on the keyboard (or CTRL+HOME if you have caret browsing toggled on -- via F7 key in Firefox).

regards,

Martrin.

To think how well RMWeb pays Andy for his time, and it isn't perfect for each and everyone's individual taste first time, is nothing short of appalling. Perspective folks, please.

Yes it's different, yes it takes a bit of getting used to, but yes there are work rounds. The blog system is just the old forum threads, organised differently on the screen. I haven't read any entries yet from my regulars that are any different in scope nor content - nor even tone.

• RMweb Gold
The blog system is just the old forum threads, organised differently on the screen.

Hi Jamie,

Well not quite. It's rather more than that.

As a forum topic, if I reply to a topic every visitor to RMweb can see that I have replied. It's listed in the Active/New Content.

As a blog, if I add a comment, only visitors to that blog can see that I have replied.

Significant discussions could be taking place within a blog, and the vast majority of RMweb members would never know. Unless you say you are going to read every single blog every day? Within a few months there will be hundreds of them. :blink:

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Gold

All a bit overwhelming at first but then I've always mourned the loss of DOS and nice simple things on 'puters so I'm probably not a good guide. But one plus point is the posting of imnages which I think I'm getting a grasp of although the galleries might get very full pretty quickly, we'll see (and no bad thing for that).

I know reliability was a big trial for Andy (and no doubt others?) yesterday and I think he deserves a massive vote of thanks for teh work he has put in to not only getting the changes off the ground but having to keep them running in very trying conditions - well done.

Hi Stu,

Same as before, click the orange icon:

post-1103-12552477746656.png

regards,

Martrin.

Trouble is Martin, as when I asked this before: it is there on 'Forum' threads but isn't available on 'Blogs'... sad.gif

Hi Jamie,

Significant discussions could be taking place within a blog, and the vast majority of RMweb members would never know. Unless you say you are going to read every single blog every day? Within a few months there will be hundreds of them. :blink:

regards,

Martin.

Right, think I follow you now. However, I'd probably continue with the same filtering approach as previously: OP > Subject > Number of Comments to find things of interest.

Active posts fell short on the thread titling. If Andy can find a work-round to allow new comments to be highlighted from the blogs,as here: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/227-keeping-track-of-comments/ would just about solve the issue IMO.

It's a trade off between controlling "chaff" and thread hijacks, and visibility of 3rd party input.

OK, some hours later I'm pleased to say I'm finding my way round and all credit to you guys, there must have been hours of work went into making this new forum and slowly but surely, I can see some of the benefits.

I'm certainly finding it easy to read, which is a big plus, so thanks for choosing colours and backgrounds that are easy on the eye.

One thing that would really help me and it may well be there, but I haven't found it yet....

Having looked at a few blogs and some of the replies on here, I can now see the difference between a blog and a layout thread. The one thing that is missing for me, is a summary of what the blog is about. I would like to see right at the front end something like "A P4 layout based on the ECML, set in the '60's".

This would tell me straight away, whether or not it was of interest. As it stands, there are many and to be honest, I haven't got the time to trawl through them all to see if they are of interest. If postings to the blogs only appear in the blogs and nowhere else, there is nothing to give me a flavour of something which may be a great piece of modelling. Even a snapshot pic of the layout on the title page would help.

I'm sure all will settle quickly and we'll wonder what all the fuss was about in a week or two......

Just an aside: I still can't highlight and copy text in my draft posting, so if it crashes I don't lose everything. I can highlight and copy text in others posts, but not my own.

Archived