class 08 shunter prototype photos

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Andy Hoare from his flickr site : 08 488 inside the half roundhouse at St.Blazey on 25th April 1982, the same that Laira had its open day...

AH08488BZ250482.jpg.58ec2a8368abc4fec925b068306b4daa.jpg

Has someone been 3D printing buffers for that model?...

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Not strictly an 08 I know, but a close relative, so no apologies. Former WD machine, then NS no. 512, stands in the rain at the NS Spoorweg Museum, Utrecht.

NS 512_ Utrecht _Spoorwegmuseum_20122023

The museum is located in the former Utrecht Maliebaan station, and a shuttle operates along an electrified spur, linking Maliebaan to the main line into Utrecht Centraal. The shuttle is well patronised, takes about 20 min, and includes reversal at the mainline connection. Maliebaan is about 2km in a straight line from Centraal, but the train ride is probably more like 6km. The museum is well with a visit, we had about 1½ hours and that was nowhere near enough. Amongst others, EM2 no. 1501 "Diana" was there, along with several UK built steam locos.

Imagine an electrified shuttle being retained to take passengers from York station to the NRM!

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/07/2023 at 15:45, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Theo Beckett, from the Cornwall Railway Society site : D3510 at Truro with a shunting truck in January 1959...

CCD3XXX_5837592_origD3510THEOBECKETTJAN59.jpg.8a270e3446fc72926e1b56b1c996ed58.jpg

Note the prominently incorrect right-facing BR emblem. I reckon its shedmate D3509 may have been the first loco number I ever wrote down in 1966, but by the time I caught up with D3510 many years later it was in blue livery at Crewe. I recognised it as a former Truro shunter though.

Based on this photo I renumbered and relettered a Hornby shunter's truck DW94982 and 'TRURO GOODS', although I had to do a bit of research to confirm the last two digits of the number.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hippel said:

Had this battery-electric 08 for haulage tonight at Barrow Hill, courtesy of the Branch Line Society and Positive Traction.

Paul

20231108_155254.jpg

20231108_155315.jpg

I rather like that, the new cab windows especially give it quite an American look. Interesting it still prominently has a whistle

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Hippel said:

Had this battery-electric 08 for haulage tonight at Barrow Hill, courtesy of the Branch Line Society and Positive Traction.

Paul

20231108_155254.jpg

20231108_155315.jpg

I like this, although it's going to be a to model. That new bonnet is far too low to fit  either the Hornby or Bahcmann mechanism in. It will require a complete rebuild with a new motor and gearing. Also green coupling rods! Is this the first 08 to ever venture away from either yellow or red?

• Like 1

Hello good people, I am looking for a bit of "livery help". I have started an 08 build and at the painting stage. It will be a late 70's standard blue machine. Having had a skim through a few pages on here, I cannot seem to find a radiator end shot from above. 

I am looking to confirm the colour on top of the radiator. The chevrons go up the sides where the ladder once was, and goes black at the top. I am assuming it is black all across the top of the radiator?

Some pics of privatisation era and preservation era machines hint at that (but livery details can change over time), so a late 70's pic from above would nail it.

The 08 by the way is a Lincon-Oaks nearly ready to run in 3mm scale. Its on scale specific /3mm / what's on workbench thread.

Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes

TT100 Diesels

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TT100 Diesels said:

Hello good people, I am looking for a bit of "livery help". I have started an 08 build and at the painting stage. It will be a late 70's standard blue machine. Having had a skim through a few pages on here, I cannot seem to find a radiator end shot from above. 

I am looking to confirm the colour on top of the radiator. The chevrons go up the sides where the ladder once was, and goes black at the top. I am assuming it is black all across the top of the radiator?

Some pics of privatisation era and preservation era machines hint at that (but livery details can change over time), so a late 70's pic from above would nail it.

The 08 by the way is a Lincon-Oaks nearly ready to run in 3mm scale. Its on scale specific /3mm / what's on workbench thread.

Thanks in anticipation.

Best wishes

TT100 Diesels

Does this one help? Certainly looks to me like it's black on top:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_08#/media/File:Class_08_08801_(D3969)_(6833336546).jpg

This one has a few photos dated 70's, all look either black, or too filthy to tell:

https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/oldsite/GRONKS.htm

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2023 at 20:29, Hippel said:

Paul

20231108_155254.jpg

20231108_155315.jpg

Not sure about the windows looking over the bonnet. Why so low? The driver in the cab in the other photos looks like he has to bend down to see out that way.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Not sure about the windows looking over the bonnet. Why so low? The driver in the cab in the other photos looks like he has to bend down to see out that way.

They're higher than the other windows, and the top of the door. Certainly much better visibility than a standard one!

It looks from other photos I've seen that the inner cab roof is a bit lower than the outer, so maybe there's equipment in there (electronics perhaps, or radio gear?)

23 hours ago, Nick C said:

Does this one help? Certainly looks to me like it's black on top:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_08#/media/File:Class_08_08801_(D3969)_(6833336546).jpg

This one has a few photos dated 70's, all look either black, or too filthy to tell:

https://www.tauntontrains.co.uk/oldsite/GRONKS.htm

Thanks, yes they strongly suggest black continues over the top of the radiator,

So that is what I shall do.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 18/12/2023 at 23:06, rodent279 said:

Is this one of Reddish's famed electric blue shunters?

4145_Ardwick_failed-DMU_5-5-73

Yes it is - a colour photo of it appeared in an issue of the short-lived 'Modern Railway Modelling' magazine (anyone remember that? I still have them all, in storage). Others were 3988, 4136 & 4144, all with the older block serif number style and IIRC all with cabside BR arrow logos. 4144 had reversed logos and still had them when renumbered 08914 in 1974.

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

08937 St James Park Exeter 1982 by australia3393

08937 St James Park Exeter

As D4167 this was the first BR blue Class 08 I ever saw, as Plymouth North Road station pilot in September 1968, and I recall being disappointed that it was already filthy!!

• Like 2