class 08 shunter prototype photos

3 hours ago, Peter Eaton said:

You may have already seen this ! there is a Scottish class 08 shunter in it,

I like it .            ***** 2.54 has a freightliner container being unloaded of goods,

That's a fantastic video only slightly ruined by the ridiculously inappropriate music!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

That's a fantastic video only slightly ruined by the ridiculously inappropriate music!

if you read the description it says he’s had loads of comments about the music, so much so he’s disabled them, it’s a cracking tune and as you say it really spoils it but I ended up going onto Apple Music and buying a few tunes by the artist! 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 03/01/2023 at 14:08, Peter Eaton said:

I like it .            ***** 2.54 has a freightliner container being unloaded of goods,

That is a nice film - a possible layout idea?

• Agree 2

On 29/12/2022 at 11:47, Rugd1022 said:

Photo by Don Gilham, Reading in the '80s...

226652625_RG08DONGILHAM.jpg.5b666ebd66b803bb510cb61129ec1c81.jpg

08803 was the first BR loco I saw in green livery with a TOPS number, noted at Didcot from the train while passing through en route from Swindon to Reading on 15 February 1974. Up until then all renumbered locos I'd seen had been works overhauls which had me wondering how many years it would take to renumber the entire fleet if only the main works were authorised to do it! Seeing 08803 in green that day I realised that the rail scene was quickly going to get interesting for those of us with a 'thing' for liveries and sure enough, the following day I saw that rarest of all green TOPS locos 31294 pass through Reading light engine, followed shortly after by 47152. Then there were the early blue variations on 08s, 31s, 47s, 50s.......... the next couple of years were indeed fascinating and for me it all started with that sighting of the erstwhile D3971 sporting its new identity 🙂!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 03/01/2023 at 14:08, Peter Eaton said:

Very interesting video indeed, shows the amazingly deft and potentially dangerous actions of the shunters and their poles!     

Just think of the tens of thousands of people over the years who regularly, as part of their employment, put themselves in harms way in similar situations.

Personally I can't see that any artistry was involved in or the relevance of the accompanying  "music".     Much better as a silent film I think .....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/01/2023 at 11:31, bradfordbuffer said:

Is stacker steadman driving? Prob not as all 6 wheels in contact with rail head!

I've just looked this chap up .... WOW !

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that we may have had this one before but it hasn't shown up in a "search" ... and as a lot of the thread photos are still missing, it's worth seeing (again ?)

Photo taken by MasonPhenix19, 1981. D3000 at Mountain Ash.

D3000 NCB Mountain Ash 10.07.81

• Like 19

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Shhhmoking !

1988 photo of 08 908 exiting Holbeck shed area ..... by Paul Corrie.

Edited by 03060
Extra info added.
  • Like 14

Can't remember if I've posted this or not, it may have been lost in the great RMWeb picture crash, so anyway, having come across it whilst looking for some other shots, I thought I'd put it up :)

BEN_BUCKI_KWVR_Bridge11_Rebuilding_LAST-DAY_08993_20_03.2020_04.JPG.0eeee329fa1f78475c02da0bb03bbd19.JPG

Engineering train on the Worth Valley in 2020, with cut-cab 08 "Ashburnham" parked up down the road.  This was during the Bridge 11 rebuild- or rather, when it was paused, as this was the day the Government enacted lockdown, and the shunter was sent to pick up the breakdown crane from the bridge site for safe storage.

• Like 11

On 09/01/2023 at 19:07, 03060 said:

I've just looked this chap up .... WOW !

I worked with stacker at saltley as a trainman d....he never left the mess room!..when on shed duty.....thankfully!....then worked with his brother at garston when I got by drivers job....absolutely chalk and cheese 

• Funny 1