New Mk1 coach

dibber25

First glimpse of new Hornby Mk 1 coach on Model Rail's Facebook page.

CHRIS LEIGH

First glimpse of new Hornby Mk 1 coach on Model Rail's Facebook page.

CHRIS LEIGH

would it be possible to upload a picture to here ( rmweb ) or have a hyperlink to the page ?

SGJ

They look good howeverthe quiestion is why when Bachmann MK1's are pretty good coaches already? I am sure that the Hornby models will have some improvements however what will be the price of these coaches?

It is a tough market at present  so let's hope that Hornby can produce some outstanding MK1's at an affordable price - now  that's Market Clever!

XF

Guest Max Stafford

I note the coach has the roof ribs still, which would have been a major advantage. However, if the new model has an NEM socket set at a closer to standard height than Bachmann's it would make these coaches just that bit more user-friendly.

Dave.

They look good howeverthe quiestion is why when Bachmann MK1's are pretty good coaches already? I am sure that the Hornby models will have some improvements however what will be the price of these coaches?

It is a tough market at present  so let's hope that Hornby can produce some outstanding MK1's at an affordable price - now  that's Market Clever!

XF

We're in dire danger of duplicating the discussion on another thread here!  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/65398-hornbys-2013-announcements/page-57&do=findComment&comment=906514

I understand the RRP is around the £20 mark. Forget the duplication arguments. It's like saying'why do Hornby produce track when you can buy it from Peco?' There are certain things that are essential to the range and the Mk1 coach is essential - thousands must go into trainsets every year. Hornby's model (Tri-ang's, actually, and state of the art in its day) dates from the 1960s and was ripe for replacement.

CHRIS LEIGH

So looking to undercut Bachmann's offering by around 30%.

An interesting development. Given that the Bachy Mk1s are generally held to be pretty good models, a budget offering makes sense. I will be interested to see what sort of market share they can take. Is it just SK, BSK and CK planned at the moment?

I understand the RRP is around the £20 mark.

And the RRP of the Bachmann ones are hovering around the £29 mark so (in theory) these should be about a third cheaper than the equivalent Bachmann models at retail.

Forget the duplication arguments. It's like saying'why do Hornby produce track when you can buy it from Peco?' There are certain things that are essential to the range and the Mk1 coach is essential - thousands must go into trainsets every year. Hornby's model (Tri-ang's, actually, and state of the art in its day) dates from the 1960s and was ripe for replacement.

Yup, I was about to say the same thing elsewhere. I was suprised coming back to the hobby about 10 years back (after a nearly 20 year break) to see that the Triang MK1s had been brought out of retirement (with improvements!). The tooling must have been on lifesupport then, so gods know what state it's in now.

• RMweb Premium

For me, a lot will depend on the livery shades.  If they eventually bring out crimson/cream examples in the same shades they use on their Hawksworth and Gresley stock, then I can see myself buying a few coaches to run in mixed rakes.  The very different Bachmannn crimson/cream makes it problematic to use their Mark 1s.

If you look on Hattons, Bachmann and Hornby SKs for instance,

£24 for Bachmann, Hornby £17 pre order.

Shame about the roof ribs, otherwise surely the Hornby one would be a no brainer. 

When the Blue & Greys come out I'll be in the market for a score to make up my WCML and ECML diverted expresses. 

They won't be inter-worked with my domestic Bachmann fleet and I will feel just that little bit naughty that they are interlopers.  Can't wait.

Guest Max Stafford

If the quality is as good as hinted and they have a close-coupling device I can see an additional maroon era 2M/S52 rake being formed.

Dave.

By the looks of things, the couplings are mounted on the bogies not in close coupling cam arranements, although its hard to tell form these pics. Remember, these are RAILROAD models, and while good, they probably won't outdo the Bachmann Mk1s in all quarters, well at least not the latest versions (TPOs nad Pullmans) will all their seperate handrails and pipework. The Bachmann Sleepers will probably go a step further The bogies do look nice though. No, I'm not going to be giving up my 20-odd Bachmann Mk1s in a hurry!

By the looks of things, the couplings are mounted on the bogies not in close coupling cam arranements, although its hard to tell form these pics.

Mind you it's appeared in the past that the Hornby CCM makes it look like the couplings are bogie mounted (the Gresley suburbans I seem to recall). Also the coupling bar seems to be far too close to the gangway and buffers for a bogie mounted coupling to work on trainset curves. It might be the case that they are bogie mounted and hence will go around trainset curves, but it's certainly an area that some clarification on would be welcome. I don't think them being Railroad items would necessarily rule out a CCM being used or at least having the provision for one for "up market" releases.

I'm sure they aren't designed to persuade anyone to give up what they've already got. The first priority is to replace old tooling (which may be worn and more expensive to produce (the old Mk1s have printed acetate glazing glued in place - and don't they have two brass screws holding them together?) with something that looks up to modern standards and doesn't cost the Earth to produce. These are for the Railroad and trainset end of the market, first and foremost. 

CHRIS LEIGH

• RMweb Gold

I note the coach has the roof ribs still, which would have been a major advantage. However, if the new model has an NEM socket set at a closer to standard height than Bachmann's it would make these coaches just that bit more user-friendly.

Dave.

Agreed,wholeheartedly.One hope is that they will weigh-in lighter than Bachmann's worthy offerings,which are a tad too heavy for most rakes of 7+ for many of my steam loco models.

Hopefully Hornby may be tempted to increase a bit more variety into the Mk. 1 range in the shape of the FO 3XXX & 31XX , RB 16XX & 17XX, RE Griddle 11XX, BSO 92XX & 93XX and possibly RK 8XXXX vehicles. I would of thought the technology is now at their beckoning to produce anything based on the detail levels afforded to their excellent Hawksworth, Gresley and Thompson offerings.

I understand the RRP is around the £20 mark. Forget the duplication arguments. It's like saying'why do Hornby produce track when you can buy it from Peco?' There are certain things that are essential to the range and the Mk1 coach is essential - thousands must go into trainsets every year. Hornby's model (Tri-ang's, actually, and state of the art in its day) dates from the 1960s and was ripe for replacement.

CHRIS LEIGH

Thanks Chris - at @ £20  they will be good value - the Gresley blue/grey Buffet Car offering hopefully was a one off mistake by Hornby!

XF

Guest dubdee1000

I'm sure they aren't designed to persuade anyone to give up what they've already got. The first priority is to replace old tooling (which may be worn and more expensive to produce (the old Mk1s have printed acetate glazing glued in place - and don't they have two brass screws holding them together?) with something that looks up to modern standards and doesn't cost the Earth to produce. These are for the Railroad and trainset end of the market, first and foremost. 

CHRIS LEIGH

I think a lot of people will snap these up - the "good enuff" argument. Not perfect, but when put into a rake, look the part and save the pennies. In comparison to Bachmann, every six coach rake saves enough to fund a loco to drag them

Archived