New Mk1 coach

dibber25

Coach lighting would be a definite plus for the new Hornby MK1

XF

Lighting would dramatically  push the price up, which I don't think Hornby  would wish to do if they are  to gain any benefit  from the introduction of these RR  Mk1s.

Also Hornby to the best of my knowledge have never done any coaches with lighting ( by this I mean  lights in the  ceiling), so they would have to develop the system from scratch,  I appreciate that  they do produce the Pullmans with working  table lamps but these are a  fibre optic system,

Lighting would dramatically  push the price up, which I don't think Hornby  would wish to do if they are  to gain any benefit  from the introduction of these RR  Mk1s.

Also Hornby to the best of my knowledge have never done any coaches with lighting ( by this I mean  lights in the  ceiling), so they would have to develop the system from scratch,  I appreciate that  they do produce the Pullmans with working  table lamps but these are a  fibre optic system,

Actually I think that these Mk1s are in certain places an improvement over the older versions...They look better to me. The cost won't necessarily have to go up if Hornby produce a lighting bar separately. A very basic plug and play or easy-to-fit thing!! This way they can ensure that the basic Mk1s would be available to the public and if needed a lighting bar can be bought as well a fitted by the buyer.

If (hopefully) the Mk3s are re-tooled next year then they can have this system. But I do see your point about the Mk1s being in the RR range so I guess asking for lights would be a little too much.

Coach lighting would be a definite plus for the new Hornby MK1

XF

It sure would...! I would love to see that!! Lets see...I shall suggest some of this to them on twitter.

Interesting that (Triang) Hornby's MK2A coaches had lighting fitted when they were first released in1969!

XF

Yes  the  old  Triang  coaches!!  I  had  a couple  of  the  lighted  ones  but  from memory  the  lighting  was  a   little  'Flickery'

Very unlike  todays  factory fitted  coaches  which  workk Very  well,  Bachmann  have  got  their  coach lighting  system  ( I am talking  DMU & EMU )  set up so it does work OK

I am afraid that  if Hornby went  the  lighting  route  with the RR Mk1s  the  price  would increase  dramatically,

I agree with earlier comments really unless these are a suitable alternative to Bachmanns mk1s then why release these?

Because Hornby need MK1s in their range to support trainsets etc. and their current tooling dates from the early 60's and will be pretty knackered now. Some places only stock red boxes and no blue ones. The Mk1 carriage should be a bread and butter item for any UK manufacturer and in years past almost all of them had them in their range - Airfix/GMR was the notable exception.

Because Hornby need MK1s in their range to support trainsets etc. and their current tooling dates from the early 60's and will be pretty knackered now. Some places only stock red boxes and no blue ones. The Mk1 carriage should be a bread and butter item for any UK manufacturer and in years past almost all of them had them in their range - Airfix/GMR was the notable exception.

I think you got it spot on!

http://Hornby.tumblr.com/post/49363431489/railroad-br-mk1-pre-production-samples-items

Latest pre-production pics...IMO quite nice!!

Is coach lighting really that popular? During the day you can hardly see it anyway and I really don't fancy sitting in the dark playing with my trains. Waste of money IMO. 

That is also quite true!!!

Correct me if I'm wrong but these seem to be the most detailed models in the railroad range. They seem to have more detail than the Mk.3s!! LOL!!

For the price (£15.99 in modelfair) and it's range it appears in I would give it 9/10. Very effective for the train set and train pack market. Surely better than the older models (atleast the underframe coz the old ones were not good at all)

Others opinions may vary.

I think they would look a lot better with metal wheels and a less silvery roof, the colour looks similar to the silver used on the old Stannier coaches from the 1970s.

That aside they will make train packs attractive again. I can't say I would buy one on its own but if there were a few included in a train pack with an attractive locomotive I wouldn't be put off as I currently am (Date with the Duchy for example).

It appears that it is possible to assemble these with the body the wrong way round on the underframe (look at the stepboards on the CK). Not so design clever if this is so.

Hopefully this won't be an issue in full production.

Apart from that they look quite nice, although I wish they'd taken an opportunity to differentiate from Bachmann by omitting the relatively short lived end steps.

Presumably they are pre-production paint samples only - apart from the CK's stepboards, the battery box on the dynamo side on the BSK is in the wrong position and it's got the same number as the SK!  Also the body mounted tai lamp brackets were only used on the earliest vehicles, and should really be on the gangway faceplate.  Also missing the obscured glazing on the guards van bodylights and the rather out of place white for the toilet compartments....

Still, it's early days...

• RMweb Premium

The water filler pipe looks like a moulded item carrying up onto the roof without any obvious joint. The bodyshell appears to be a one piece side/end/roof moulding as per the Mainline/Replica Mk1's. Quicker, therefore cheaper to assemble than a separate moulding design, such as the Bachy Mk1's.

Cheers,

Mick

Plastic wheels? Really?

I know these are used elsewhere in Hornbys railroad range but surely on a brand new item metal wheel sets wouldn't go amiss?

Particularly on a new item which actually looks rather good. I won't be swapping my Bachman ones, but the new Hornbys Mk1 look like a much nicer starting point for youngsters in the hobby than the older Mk1s.

• RMweb Gold

Plastic wheels? Really?

I know these are used elsewhere in Hornbys railroad range but surely on a brand new item metal wheel sets wouldn't go amiss?

Particularly on a new item which actually looks rather good. I won't be swapping my Bachman ones, but the new Hornbys Mk1 look like a much nicer starting point for youngsters in the hobby than the older Mk1s.

These are pre-production models, do they actually need to have them at this stage?

The coaches themselves look miles better than the ones they are replacing and probably wouldn't notice in a mixed rake ;)

• RMweb Premium

Plastic wheels on the production runs should be a no-no and is hopefully not driven by any desire to keep the cost below Bachmann's shelf prices.  I'm also not overly keen on illuminated stock; its hard to see most of the time (though can add a nice touch in the evening or in gloomy stations) and that included the real thing.  Incandescent bulbs in Mk1 stock didn't exactly show up like Blackpool Illuminations when a train came past.  The older Hornby lighting caused drag with pick-ups rubbing on axles and which impeded smooth running as well as being a contributory cause to the flicker described above.

• RMweb Premium

No attempt to represent the opening (ambulance) window in the CK, I see.

These coaches look quite promising and to be honest if Hornby were to produce a 3 or 4-car numbered set in BR(S) green I might well buy one in preference to Bachmann's - Hornby's green is pretty much spot on for me - unless Bachmann in the meantime issues its Mk1s in Hornby's green!

• RMweb Premium

Given that Bachmann's "SR green" changes with every release who knows what's coming next?  OTOH it makes it impossible to collect sets of matching livery over time.

I find that metal wheels not only improve the running of coaches and wagons but also improve them aesthetically. I don't know why, normally black plastic is closer in colour to the real thing than the shiny metal ones even if they are tarnished. Perhaps it gives an impression of solidity and weight, just like the metal buffers on most new Hornby locomotives and top-end coaches.

Maybe I'm out of touch with reality, but I just don't find plastic wheel sets acceptable anymore, whether it is a budget model or not.

Plastic wheels are liable to warping in heat, leaving residue on the track and generally being very unpleasant components to work with.

I've no doubt they've worked previously for Hornby on a variety of models but in 2013 (and even if we accept cutting production costs blah blah blah) should an all new coach tooling really have plastic wheel sets?

Archived