New Mk1 coach

dibber25

I feel it is a bit of an odd choice to release these.  Whilst they are classed as Railroad, they look like they'll be better than non-railroad examples.  £20 seems a fair RRP for a new coach (I assume they'll be selling for around the £14/£15 mark) but if you were looking to buy a set of coaches, wouldn't you rather hunt out second-hand Bachmann coaches for a similar price.  This would give you more of a variety of coach types (and a probably superior model).

If these are aimed at the junior market, well the ex Triang models weren't that bad, especially with the flush glazing and are an ideal starting point.

HI 

I agree Hornby have to sell these at a much lower price than the Bachmann ones ,which you can pick up  for around £18.00 each,or they will end up sitting in shops.

Darren

• RMweb Gold

Jon you can't defend your opinion by saying "that's just my opinion" then bemoan others stating theirs... but hey ho...

Providing Hornby get these coaches right then they can count on my custom... I'd quite like a modest 5 coach blue+grey set and if it can be had for £75 I'd be a very happy chappy... I'm also interested in how these things are put together as they might prove to be useful fodder for EMU conversions.

Time will tell :sungum:

Guest jim s-w

Its a bit more complex than that though isnt it Jon? After all you posted this on another forum didnt you?

"I decided to get out the 'ole Battle Axe tonight, and to work off the tarnishing, I took aim at RMWeb and went on a posting spree.

Found an interesting thread re. MZ exclusives, and promptly gave it both barrels...

Just waiting for the replies to roll in, this could go either way here...

A link to it for your entertainment (If it gets the 'Expert' RMWebbers' blood boiling... maybe I should have mentioned Ebay?)"

Hardly a balanced approach is it? In light of the above those who disagreed with you (myself included) gave you exactly what you wanted.

Cheers

Jim

:agree:

Y'all needs to chill out.

All I've done is laid out my opinion here, I'd like to have a chance to do so without getting jumped like you're all share holders or business partners... 

I'm not saying they have any "obligation" to promote a competitors product at all; it's more preventing their competitors from stealing a monopolised line like the prime examples here, the Mk2 and Mk3, both exclusively Hornby...

They've lost out already, elsewhere, on the 73 and the 101, gone because other manufacturers will produce a new tooling whilst Horrorby just repaint the old tripe and sling it at a stupid price.

As for catering for modellers' wishes, all manufacturers do to an extent. And, to a degree, they should aim to satisfy at least one lily pad in the pond, which they do already, it just happens to be the Kettle community, much like the mainstream modelling media, but lets not fire up that particular bun fight...

Why so serious?

Peace.

:thankyou:

From this and your previous posts, you have what i would describe as an "interesting" take on things........................

• RMweb Premium

, it again bears all the Hornby, Margate hallmarks of neglecting modellers wishes for the bigger pay check.

Hmm, Hornby are a business - hopefully a profit making business.

If their new Mk1 makes them money, then they've succeeded in their business.

It's a bit like accusing EWS of getting rid of 47's/56's in favour of 66's which upset the enthusiasts, or Virgin replacing clapped out Mk2's with Voyagers. After all, EWS (now DBS) are in business to make money, not please the platform end brigade. And if I read the press correctly, more people are now using cross country services than before.

I too, would appreciate a decent aircon Mk2, but if in the meantime I get a reasonably priced/detailed Mk1 that satisfies my meagre needs for Mk1's, then I'm as happy as I hope Hornby will be.

Back to the modelling.

Cheers,

Mick

Jon,

I'll put it across simply. Previously when Hornby released train packs and they had the older MK1's, we all made a noise about the price (I'm sure everyone will agree that the price of the older one was a little too high). If you don't like Hornby - then fine! But they are doing something to help themselves and us. Your getting quite a good ''RailRoad'' version now for a lovely price. No one is forcing you to buy one. You happy with the Blue Box offering then stick to those. I'd be happy that Hornby is doing something to make their models cheaper. There are so many models that are made by two companies or more - the A4, B1, 5MT, Class 37, Class 47, 9F etc etc. But no one else has an issue with that. You don't have to voice your strong negative opinion here especially when most of us are happy with it. It's a forum to voice opinions but I think we all voiced ours also. So Peace!! It's our opinion as well.

Jon you can't defend your opinion by saying "that's just my opinion" then bemoan others stating theirs... but hey ho...

well he isnt alone Im afraid as Ive seen this type of reply used countless times by a good handful of regular members so its nothing new really.

If these are aimed at the junior market, well the ex Triang models weren't that bad, especially with the flush glazing and are an ideal starting point.

And I think that's the point - those are from a tooling that's over 50 years old. It's not unreasonable to think that said tooling may be getting close to worn out around now and should be replaced.

I'm not saying they have any "obligation" to promote a competitors product at all; it's more preventing their competitors from stealing a monopolised line like the prime examples here, the Mk2 and Mk3, both exclusively Hornby...

I suspect that Bachmann and Murphy's Models would like to disagree somewhat on MK2 front and I'd suspect the latter might be eyeing up MK3s at some point, certainly before Hornby do (if Hornby were in any danger of upgrading their MK3s they would have done so when they introduced the HST and DVT models and they didn't).

..................Simply put, its catering for what will make money, not what people would ask for................ J.

Surely the purpose of a business is to make money, then there's at least a chance that it could provide what people would ask for {sic}

People don't know what they want until you tell them.......

SE&CR livery 'C' Class

Thompson Class 01

Thompson Class L1

LSWR Beattie Well Tank

Gresley Class 02

Aspinall L&Y 2-4-2T

One-off prototype Deisel locos

'Devon Belle' Observation  Saloon

and so forth.....

People don't know what they want until you tell them.......

SE&CR livery 'C' Class

Thompson Class 01

Thompson Class L1

LSWR Beattie Well Tank

Gresley Class 02

Aspinall L&Y 2-4-2T

One-off prototype Deisel locos

'Devon Belle' Observation  Saloon

and so forth.....

You forgot Blue Pullman

Fell

Stewart

Will still happily buy ye olde Triangie Hornby Mark 1 as it still looks fine RUNNING them rather than putting them under a microscope. Price matters these days.

Obviously the second hand ones rather than the ones that are still in the catalogue - Found this in the Hornby online shop

BR Mk1 Brake Coach

Product Code: R4114C

£25.83

These old ones have a higher RRP than the new ones :O

To be honest, the Hornby Mk1's can look as good as the Bachmann. My friend Jim and I got hold of some cheap 'Hogwarts' Mk1's for repraying. Jim repainted the sides in crimson and cream and removed the awful Hornby flush glaze and the finished coach could have passed for a Bachy one. IIRC, Colin thought it was a Bachy when he saw it. The only thing which lets down the coach are the bogies and 12mm wheels.

Archived