The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

ITV Storage Hoarders

Ian Fisher

Oh dear..ITV program on now with a 'friend' of ours on here, model railway collector and driver £27, 000 spent in last three years...oh dear that all :)

My main erm comment I never knew east coast were sponsored by Modelzone! They have shown a 125 their limited edition but with Modelzone stickers on evey vehicle!

Nawty Modelzone

Ian

I've been working at home today and accidentally stumbled on this programme just as it was starting.

Interesting to see Bob at Alton Model Centre on there too, I've bought a fair amount of railway and Scalextric stuff from there over the last couple of years. Nice chap, and great shop if you're passing near Alton I'd highly recommend a visit - it's right near the Watercress Line too. Friendly service, vast amounts of stock, and lots of discontinued items as well.

But I have to say spending £27,000 just on stock in 3 years and then only to put in a storage facility, and no layout to run it on, IS kinda nuts!

I've been working at home today and accidentally stumbled on this programme just as it was starting.

Interesting to see Bob at Alton Model Centre on there too, I've bought a fair amount of railway and Scalextric stuff from there over the last couple of years. Nice chap, and great shop if you're passing near Alton I'd highly recommend a visit - it's right near the Watercress Line too. Friendly service, vast amounts of stock, and lots of discontinued items as well.

But I have to say spending £27,000 just on stock in 3 years and then only to put in a storage facility, and no layout to run it on, IS kinda nuts!

what the programme call? I show it to the wife tonight on play back so she can stop complaining about how much i spend:)

mike

what the programme call? I show it to the wife tonight on play back so she can stop complaining about how much i spend:)

mike

The programme is called Storage Hoarders as per Ian's thread title. Shown on ITV1 at 2pm today. It's already available for viewing on the ITV Player:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/storage-hoarders/series-1/episode-18

...spending £27,000 just on stock in 3 years and then only to put in a storage facility, and no layout to run it on, IS kinda nuts!

Yes, he could have kept it all at home like my late friend Alistair did before expiring at the early age of 46. By the time he died, he no longer slept upstairs because the models had taken over the entire first floor. It's a bit like the late Polish war veteran Edward Trebus of Haringey (see "Life of Grime"), but with Swiss and American outline models instead of rubbish.

And, compared to what he spent over several years, £27k is nothing. I suppose it's a form of obsessive compulsive disorder - any plans he might have had for a layout were very quickly swamped by a desire to either acquire every item in the catalogue, or every livery variation, or every limited edition. Or sometimes the whole lot if the going was good. And once he'd put it upstairs, it was rarely if ever touched again.

I've posted the aftermath up here before, but let this be a warning to you, particularly if you have no immediate family:

post-6879-0-10957700-1357857182_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-36518100-1357857198_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-17410300-1357857214_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-25039700-1357857231_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-04832500-1357857248_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-69314800-1357857263_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-63616000-1357857280_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-77455400-1357857296_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-63543600-1357857313_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-39429600-1357857329_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-99910600-1357857613_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-12325300-1357857631_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-04630300-1357857650_thumb.jpg

post-6879-0-86831000-1357857665_thumb.jpg

Yes, he could have kept it all at home like my late friend Alistair did before expiring at the early age of 46. By the time he died, he no longer slept upstairs because the models had taken over the entire first floor. It's a bit like the late Polish war veteran Edward Trebus of Haringey (see "Life of Grime"), but with Swiss and American outline models instead of rubbish.

And, compared to what he spent over several years, £27k is nothing. I suppose it's a form of obsessive compulsive disorder - any plans he might have had for a layout were very quickly swamped by a desire to either acquire every item in the catalogue, or every livery variation, or every limited edition. Or sometimes the whole lot if the going was good. And once he'd put it upstairs, it was rarely if ever touched again.

I've posted the aftermath up here before, but let this be a warning to you, particularly if you have no immediate family:

What's wrong with that?

Ed (no immediate family any more)

The programme is called Storage Hoarders as per Ian's thread title. Shown on ITV1 at 2pm today. It's already available for viewing on the ITV Player:

https://www.itv.com/itvplayer/storage-hoarders/series-1/episode-18

Well, I've had a go at viewing it, but ITVplayer wants to know my region, asks for a postcode, then refuses to acknowledge that it is a valid postcode.  In fact, it's not just my postcode it doesn't like...

• RMweb Gold

It could be a regional program so you need a post code in the region try putting in the shop postcode.

I have been in a house like that. I went round to quote for some work on building a layout, baseboards track and wiring. Came to nothing though probably just bought some more stock.

To each their own,

Don

• RMweb Gold

Well, I've had a go at viewing it, but ITVplayer wants to know my region, asks for a postcode, then refuses to acknowledge that it is a valid postcode.  In fact, it's not just my postcode it doesn't like...

It didn't like mine either but I put in the local High St postcode & it worked!

Bob

Twenty seven grand in three years is only a couple of decent 00 locos a week or a fairly modest 7mm one each month.  Beyond my disposable income, I'll admit, but not really that spectacular in the greater scheme of things.

This is, really, O.C.D. and it is obscene to make TV programs about it.  Would other mental illnesses be turned into a freak show like this? No because there are no "Wow-Look-At-That" images to show.  Gutter media - Ughh!

I've just wasted the best part of an hour of my life watching this drivel! Apart from the irritation of not being able to skip through the adverts, the self appointed so-called expert who told the subject of the programme what I expect he already knew, (ie that if he'd invested in older rarer models instead of contemporary Bachmann locomotives then he'd have a proper collection rather than a bunch of acquisitions) annoyed me almost to the point of putting a fist through my laptop screen. And don't get me started on the train/locomotive mis-description minefield. Cheap ITV rubbish.

Well people like that Aggie know the price of everything and the value of nothing, plus they make Roman Amphitheatre shows like this, where cheap TV addicts with no empathy about them can sit, laugh and point.

It's an illness of sorts, an OCD certainly.  But it doesn't belong on telly.

Well people like that Aggie know the price of everything and the value of nothing, plus they make Roman Amphitheatre shows like this, where cheap TV addicts with no empathy about them can sit, laugh and point.

It's an illness of sorts, an OCD certainly.  But it doesn't belong on telly.

I know a few people with clinically diagnosed OCD, I don't know if the person in the programme has been diagnosed with it but I for one certainly had at least some empathy with him even though I was staggered by the amount he had spent on locos and rolling stock in 3 years without even a single piece of track to run any of it on.

No doubt though that he is a compulsive hoarder, as evidenced by some of the other stuff he had collected, such as the box of 300 novelty lighters.

The programme did point out early on that he'd turned to model railway retail therapy after the break-up of his last relationship 3 years ago but if it was me I wouldn't want this broadcast on TV for all to see.

I hope he gets the money he needs for his house and one day builds a layout in it to run his trains on.

Archived