Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Hi Ian, here they are. Hope they look okay!

Boxenby on a typical Sunday afternoon;

Depot3.jpg

Depot2.jpg

Depot5.jpg

A couple of Black and White

Depot1.jpg

Depot4.jpg

I will try and take some more later in the week with natural light as these were taken yesterday after dark.

Once the inside of the roof is painted and the skylights are on that should make a difference.

Now that job is done I can start work on getting the inspection pits in place and then the floor can be put down.

• Like 8

Hi Andy, many thanks glad that you like the photos. Hope all is well in Spain.

Thanks Dave, I can now see the light at the end of the tunnel, or should that be the light at the end of the shed?!! Hopefully next year I can get the depot finished, well pretty much finished! That is the plan……

Thanks Ian, it is not perfect but good enough I think to resemble what it is supposed to.

Thanks David.

Hi Mark, Thanks. Your depot is a bit special, really like what you have done. It was seeing your overhead crane that got me thinking about mine so thanks.

a5064fa96304bee16d5d80373ec89496.jpg

e439982fc3b47a557fee7d400963bf05.jpg

bd63e82580c414b3473317f0c5fce28b.jpg

Yesterday I decided to experiment with the shutter doors for the rear of the shed (roads 1 to 4) in preparation for the final assembly. You can just make them out in this photo;

98e53d7096b1b6779d2deacc7b9514e6.jpg

This afternoon I have sprayed them with Halfords grey primer and tomorrow I hope to give them a top coat before weathering.

Thornaby’s 37501 can be seen in the back ground receiving attention;

e3ad4fe64600e0ce1e6148f3df853663.jpg

d34aa50a2a23f05816ab8b9e69643e3b.jpg

24ebf10c6a9b7928a87e6fc92c231532.jpg

f5e580fda4e9a7c4ec8bc6ad70f5ecb4.jpg

Unfortunately shots like the next one will not be possible once the roof support girders are put in place;

0643a87447a176e69aba6b531f8da84a.jpg

I really must get the floor done soon!

I would like to wish Andy and the team and all RM Web members a Very Merry Christmas and a Prosperous New Year.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to you all for the comments, much appreciated.

Hi Jeff, Grimley Senior would like to have all 15 doors at the front motorised but I am not sure! I am planning to look at having some brass shutter doors etched to see if this is possible but that will be a couple of months away. My Father has accumulated some very small motors he thinks will be just right for the job.

To be honest if Heljan release an O gauge 56 and 58 to go with their 60 you never know!.....

Thanks Pilkko, I do really like the Peak, here’s hoping Bachmann release a sealed beam 45/1 next year, please Bachmann!!! A belated Merry Christmas to you too, Happy New Year!

Thanks Cav.

Thanks David.

Thanks Porkie, I could do with a couple more!

Well not too much progress to report of, although I have been conducting research and also planning for the next couple of jobs.

With regards to research I have been looking into the skylights, more on that later in the week, the lights for the inspection pits and finally lifting jacks. I had planned to use the Bachmann lifting jacks but after looking at photos have decided to make my own which will resemble those used at Toton.

Here is a photo showing the ones I plan to make;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/69838920@N04/8116558057/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/httpwwwpeakdaleworkscom/5708157113/

Over the weekend I made some slight adjustments to the metal strips to allow the depot to sit nicely on the board and allow the whole shed to be removed and replaced with ease of location when putting back on.

I have also added the final metal strip which sits on the east wall of the raised section by road 13. I will take some photos tomorrow to show this addition which does make a difference to the appearance of the inside of the shed in this area.

Now that the metal strip project is finally finished I am going to move on to sorting out the inspection pit lights before getting the inspection pits glued down in position. Although I haven’t made a final decision my thoughts are to have one of the through roads 1 to 4 with working lights, and also one of roads 5 to 12 and one of the three heavy lifting roads fitted as well.

My idea  at the moment, in theory, is to use LEDs and fibre optics to light the inspection pits but some experimentation and testing will be conducted first before final installation. But more on that in the coming weeks.

Father Christmas has been very kind and increased the Boxenby fleet. First of all Hornby’s 56083 in BR blue which will eventually become Romanian 56004. I first saw this beast at Doncaster in February 1988. We had just arrived from Peterborough on an HST and within a few minutes 56002 came through heading south on empty HAAs, said 56 in a very clean state headed north on loaded MGRs through on to the fast whilst another red-stripe railfreight 56 also came through on the other side of the station. Quality!

So after seeing 56004 I have always liked that one and have wanted to model her for a while.

In addition FC brought another pair of choppers, 20023 and 20132. Whilst I already have these two they will be renumbered to 20104 and 20165 respectively.

As mentioned before I have been experimenting with roller shutter doors and the ones I made the other day have been painted and weathered.

Here are some photos showing the doors and the new arrivals;

ba807726c22dde1e82ced963873cbca4.jpg

ab4a0a3d43ecc04e645740a4f2ed9be6.jpg

Some Original Railfreight action;

f4f3e50fcb93455c06e0c037e6d1b141.jpg

fc89f1ed940a11afd8093ce46b2feb4c.jpg

224e4f1dac6106fdaf56249dd3bb7283.jpg

809a3cd827aa9c20f72e53a8c5d7ba06.jpg

Black and white, I am getting into black and white!

3894388da7aef88af885671613ea12f9.jpg

579916ba4d9d3e79bab3a5e56db0d6f4.jpg

01fc5907e73840f3a0194a92f1996375.jpg

84aa54fa58713d1435d1de2707a5942d.jpg

Happy New Year to all RMWeb members.

• Like 9

Hi,

This is fantastic modelling and this thread is a real inspiration. These latest pics are starting to look like the real thing!

Prefer the BR Blue stuff too - just how I remember Toton :yes:

Happy New Year, and look forward to many more quality pics in 2013.

Cheers

Lee

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for the kind comments and Happy New Year to you. I cannot believe it is three years ago that I first thought about and made a start on this silly project! Still I do now feel that progress is being made with an end in sight....

Seeing as you like BR blue I took a couple of photos for you.

As mentioned before the metal strips have been added on the east wall of the raised section and can be seen just under the running rail for the 4 Tonne overhead cranes;

6ea5388f739e1592bde04eaefbdfd83c.jpg

7fbb9f1c9e9dd230ae863c907b24bd9a.jpg

A couple more general shots;

3f5275928a03dff13ebecc3f1cf50328.jpg

21eb906f971fa3468e74e97179d5a307.jpg

d0caf2bedae3a6c8aeaded693d379b40.jpg

Hopefully 2013 will see the opening of Boxenby depot.

• Like 11

Hi Alex,

Locos for Christmas, well done. Do you have a sort of wants list of locos that you need for Boxenby?

The latest pics look great, the ones showing the overhead cranes are superb.

Happy New Year, cheers Peter.

Edited by P.C.M

Hi Peter, thanks it is starting to look more like a depot now. Once the roof and skylights are painted and fitted, and along with the floor it should start to come alive.

I am very pleased with the latest arrivals although a few more wouldn’t go a miss!!!

With the kind help from people that have knowledge and information, I have been working on a timetable of movements on and off the shed and just taking into account coal workings in a 24 hour period, I would need approximately 35 to 40 locos. Depending on which workings run of course. This includes pairs of 20s will be on some workings.

Then to model the depot on a weekend also requires more locos. Don’t tell Mrs. Grimley.....

Like most modellers I do have a wish list/wants list but I suppose there are two of those really. 1. The list you would like to have to run the layout in a prototypical manner and 2. the one which includes all the locos you would love to have! The latter is very long indeed......

I could list a few if you like?!!

I am not looking forward to all the weathering though!

• Like 4

Hi Alex,

A very happy new year to you.

Your photos are now getting to the stage where I have to take a moment to work out whether they are of the real thing or of your model. By the time you've finished, I suspect that job is going to be much harder.

Looking forward to more updates.

Cheers,

Dave

Hi Grimley

Looking good mate. The fleet is growing well too!

As for weathering it all - you know that Mr Bean sketch where he decorates his flat with white paint...? if you don't, well, lets just say a tin of paint and a firework is involved! But i'm sure you will make them all look the business if your last modern fleet of Tugs is anything to go by!

Hi Peter, thanks it is starting to look more like a depot now. Once the roof and skylights are painted and fitted, and along with the floor it should start to come alive.

I am very pleased with the latest arrivals although a few more wouldn’t go a miss!!!

With the kind help from people that have knowledge and information, I have been working on a timetable of movements on and off the shed and just taking into account coal workings in a 24 hour period, I would need approximately 35 to 40 locos. Depending on which workings run of course. This includes pairs of 20s will be on some workings.

Then to model the depot on a weekend also requires more locos. Don’t tell Mrs. Grimley.....

Like most modellers I do have a wish list/wants list but I suppose there are two of those really. 1. The list you would like to have to run the layout in a prototypical manner and 2. the one which includes all the locos you would love to have! The latter is very long indeed......

I could list a few if you like?!!

I am not looking forward to all the weathering though!

Hi Alex,

Do a list if you want it would be interesting to see what locos you have planned. As for the weathering you could always do a few if you get bored of building the layout.

Cheers Peter.