Boxenby depot

Grimleygrid

Wow... looking really great Alex.  Both of those last photos are superb and the interior is starting to look so life-like now.  Looking forward to seeing Boxenby with rows and rows of BR blue 20's parked up :)

A quick question if I may...... a while back you had some roof vents for the building, were these designed and made by yourself or did you have them specially made for you?  I've been trying to find something similar/ or make something myself (but in N) but so far to no avail :(

Many thanks

Cheers

Lee

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Peter, thanks for the suggestion I have PVA on my list to experiment with. I do like the

Evostik solvent free impact multi-purpose contact adhesive.

I am pleased as Boxenby has two peaks now, you need to have a 45 on shed!

Thanks David.

Thanks Lee, that is good to hear that you think the interior is looking good. Still a long way to go yet but it finally seems to be coming together. Looking at my timetable of movements and historical depot lists I think I will need 20 to 24 class 20s, so I think that should hopefully quench your thirst for chopper action!

Apologies for not replying sooner but we have been away on holiday. In response to your question about roof vents, the conical examples were Push button cap plungers glued to bases (circular and square) made from plastic. The square examples were from Unit Models.

Not sure if this is of interest but Walthers do this N scale Flat & Peaked Roofs With Base Modulars 933-3280

Hope that helps.

Hi Class60lover, it is a great place to visit hope you have a nice time. I do enjoy looking at photos and watching videos of Toton taken in the late 80s and early 90s.

Thanks Class66, I need to get it finished to have a play!

Hi Ian, don't worry I think that will do for Peaks for the time being although you can guarantee that Bachmann will release a sealed beam class 45 next year!

Now that we are back from holiday hopefully this week I can experiment with assembling a few of the skylights.

Yesterday I conducted an experiment with one of the spare skylights. I decided to use Vitalbond glue as used by Mr Sandside on the station canopies for Bacup for this test.

184de934a1ff48f2e98fc7106e16bc78_zps8d22

The first step was to scribe a score line in the translucent plastic in order to allow shaping. Unfortunately I have left the jig with Grimley senior so had to improvise!

ef2538b5f8c3e23b14406b36989fa559_zps4c61

I am very pleased with the results, the skylight top glued really well to the translucent plastic.

5c0574e3e69ac3e99894bab8476d1157_zps3acb

Next I need to try and glue the assembled skylight on to a test bed bottom to simulate a roof section.

• Like 4

Hi Adriano, many thanks. I am using 0.8mm Translucent Polypropylene Plastic Sheet which is quite strong and gives a nice look on the skylights. Hope that helps.

Thanks David, me too! Although it might be a while as this part of the project is proving somewhat tricky....

Slowly Class 66.....

Over the weekend I decided to continue the research and development for the skylights using spare skylight parts and the translucent plastic.

As you can see from the photo below showing a test skylight placed on the roof section above the lathe road, the skylight needs to bend in two different planes in order to sit down correctly. This is causing a lot of thinking to be done!

5c8c61187d26616dafb7ddf88a130421_zpsa9ff

First of all I decided to try putting a cut half way along in the plane at 90 degrees to the roof. As I have left the jig at Grimley Senior’s I had to resort to other means....

Here I am using a wider version of the skylight.

aedc76179d8be2718e3176e0f36bf352_zps0cd6

I then thought about using two sections for the glass

98ff42858a43d90583875cd23bc9b44a_zps9c24

This time still using two sections but in the other plane

ef10fb47a04fef7ee02febfee754c048_zps80ff

I am wondering if it might be a good idea to have the skylights as two separate parts to allow the slopes in both planes. I feel more pondering on this is required before deciding on the final assembly method and actually attempting to produce a final version.

Whilst I ponder what to do with the translucent plastic for the skylights I have used this time as an opportunity to work on the roof sections. These have been prepared for painting and yesterday evening they were given a coat of grey primer. After our holiday I am now refreshed and motivated to really get on and make progress.

78ebd07413897abb16a9cdda19912860_zps7732

df020ffc096b220abe23644f364fd2d5_zps4ae4

Tonight I am planning to get the underside primed and then hopefully tomorrow the tops will be sprayed matt black.

• Like 4

Thanks Jeff, it is nice to hear that you like it.

Yesterday evening I managed to get the undersides of the roof sections sprayed with grey primer, now to get the top coat on. I am hoping the weather will be dry at the weekend to all me to get them sprayed. Looking at the weather forecast unfortunately it is looking doubtful.

Watch the Halfords share price and next set of earnings, it took quite a few cans of grey primer to cover all the roof sections!

Thanks Peter, I am getting seriously frustrated with the weather! Looking at the forecast it is now meant to rain, Friday, Saturday and Sunday meaning that I am not going to be able to continue spraying the roof sections.......very annoying.......

I have a plan Sir, fingers crossed.....I want to get the roof sections ready first before tackling the skylights.

Last night I placed one of my test skylights on the respective primed roof section and got a very good idea of how it should look. Hopefully when finished it will look pretty good. I am looking forward to getting this part of the project finished.

Yesterday afternoon/evening there was a brief spell of dry weather allowing me to do some spraying. I managed to get the roof vents and underside of the roof sections all sprayed matt black.

95879b0f21bcff32d117d9b7a7baab3b_zps923f

a75e0946c47716a3f646b4a7176ed1f6_zpsec44

e8166062b99bf9f389fb6bd0189fb2de_zps1425

3908c82ed93e66cfc8d13d1dd20fe397_zps1da4

That may well be it for a few days with rain forecast for the weekend. Whilst the roof sections will have to wait further attention at least the roof vents can now be finished off and weathered.

• Like 2

Hi David, indeed it is. Although I would prefer a bit more......

Thanks 60006.

Yesterday I took a photo of the inside of the shed to see how it is looking now that the underside of the roof sections have been sprayed matt black.

Here is a comparison, before and after:

5bf6cd44cd43fb3876aa4658d61c640e_zps822f

dc151b03c32aed33e11b8f5a0bd154e6_zps7bcc

Although very subtle I do think it improves the look of the shed.

Another photo showing the through road section:

17117bfcf8afec7d05c579a1e558558c_zpsc04e

I did manage to get the tops of the roof sections sprayed with a nice matt grey:

bf050e31cea73f5ecd3bb3ae413febc8_zps87a3

8889d9ec284553115170d7b94039da16_zpseaf4

Hopefully this week I can get a slightly darker grey added in places to give some variation and give it a more weathered look.

• Like 3