Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Not at all, and perhaps the focus quality reflects the standard of photographic equipment available to the intrepid Victorian photographer that took the shot! ;)

Yes hopefully that was it - rather than a reflection of the photographer's alcohol consumption :D

As always Mikkel, a wonderfully atmospheric shot. However, my comment about focus is more to do with depth of field, (as I suspect Mikkel well knows! ;) ). With a normal camera in the real world focused on infinity, everything from about 10' to infinity will be fairly in focus, however this depth of focus when taking a pic of a model will be relatively much smaller, if you're lucky you might only get 6" from the point of focus either way. You can improve this using smaller apertures, longer exposures and bright lights, but as I showed above, taking a bigger pic and cropping is sometimes easier.

Is blur always bad?

Just a bit of light-hearted messing about, not suggesting this should be the new norm for layout photography! :)

FWIW, there's a few more here: http://www.rmweb.co....e-and-all-that/

Mikkel - I have to do one of those "Why did you post a real print from a Victorian Plate" posts. That's amazing. Not only the picture, but having a model of something out of the run of the mill ready to run offerings of a standard that make one think that even in focus it would be an oustanding shot.

• RMweb Gold

There are some cracking shots on your website.

Thanks Baby Deltic, it's a big irony that I recently purchased a fairly costly Nikon SLR camera only to discover that my cheap old point-and-shoot camera still works much better for taking closeups of models! (I guess I need a macro lens for the Nikon).

... my comment about focus is more to do with depth of field, (as I suspect Mikkel well knows! ;) ).

Agree totally with what you were saying in your earlier post, Pinkmouse. The blurred photo I posted wasn't in any way a comment on that - just a coincidence. BTW I think TomTanks photo (and your editing of it) is pretty amazing - really captures the railway in the landscape.

... Not only the picture, but having a model of something out of the run of the mill ready to run offerings...

I hasten to add that these coaches were not built by me, but by Chris Edge. I picked them up secondhand a few years ago. There are some colour photos on the blog (link below).

One of my better photos, straight from the camera, no digital b*gg*r*ng about.

post-6793-079294600 1287321963_thumb.jpg

Hi Neil...!

Love the photo... sense of realism, love the sand and brick work, looks of though the sand as depth to it... How and What colour for the sand was used to achieve this, matey...!

Great picture, go to say... Love IT!

Jamie

A couple on shots that I thought looked pretty convicing from my 2010 challenge layout Outon Road.

Cheers

Cav

Although not my cup of time Cav those two pictures are incredibly contemporary, even down to the misplaced traffic cone. Very carefully applied weathering to the models and the brickwork. Well done.