Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant work Andrew, but please can I ask how you go about "masking out the background" as you did in the second screen?

That's the bit that's always stumped me when using Photoshop.  Is there a quick way of doing that or do you have to carefully drew round it by hand using the mouse?

Thanks very much, Dave.

Whilst a brilliant photo, considering the amount of Photoshoping I suspect one might be disappointed when seeing the loco and wagons in real life.

True, I was disappointed when I saw 'Hursley' in the flesh having seen all those marvelous and realistic photos in the MRJ. As Andy York will testify you can do a lot with a photo and taking great care composing the shot makes it.

If you take Mudmagnets excellent photo of his diesel depot one or two things let it down. One is the sheen on the cabs of the loco's and the other is the background in the top right of the picture. I have noticed that a lot of photos of model diesels have that plastic sheen on the roof area.

As modelers many of us are not photographers and the thought of composing pictures does not come naturally, I am just the same with what few pictures I take ending up with photos I would not dare to publish here. But my son, who's hobby is photography and knows how to compose pictures, has done a photo using a Willys Jeep abandoned in a field of static grass. If he still has the photo I will get him to publish it here. His background was real trees taken in the New Forest and the whole lot was photo shopped together.

Loconuts

• RMweb Premium

The photos of Hursley in MRJ were just that; photographs of a model railway.  They were taken LONG before digital was invented!

I am very interested in the abilities of Photoshop, the main thing I want to do is isolate the layout from the general background clutter of its surroundings, hence my question.  

Although of course, this thread is about models, not one's Photoshopping abilities!

Cheers, dave.

• RMweb Gold

If you take Mudmagnets excellent photo of his diesel depot one or two things let it down. One is the sheen on the cabs of the loco's and the other is the background in the top right of the picture. I have noticed that a lot of photos of model diesels have that plastic sheen on the roof area.

Loconuts

I take your point and largely agree, but I'd only taken the photo on my phone at the Wigan show. The light coming through on the top right is from the layout lights and contributing to the excess glare on the cab roofs. Having typed that, you do make valid points. If I was taking more time, then I would ensure that excessive and unwanted light was covered.

It does go to prove that taking a decent photo is not simply the case of pointing a camera (digital / phone or otherwise) at a subject and getting a good photo without thinking about the composition. You certainly see plenty of poorly composed photos. I'm no expert and always more to learn.

Mudmagnet,

if I may say so I thought the photos you posted were very good indeed.

To paraphrase a Douglas Adams character: "The quality of advice that anyone can give you about railway modelling is only as good as the quality of their own railway modelling work."

Brilliant work Andrew, but please can I ask how you go about "masking out the background" as you did in the second screen?

That's the bit that's always stumped me when using Photoshop.  Is there a quick way of doing that or do you have to carefully drew round it by hand using the mouse?

Thanks very much, Dave.

Hi Dave, there is no real quick and easy, one click way cutting out the background. I took advantage to the straight lines and used the polygon selection tool.  You can also set the selection to add to or remove from a previous selection to build up a bigger selection. That way you don't have to try to get it in one go (you can also save selections). Once you have the selection you can use the Refine Edge (or Select and Mask as it is now called) tool to feather or move the selection edge.  Just a bit of feather to soften the edge helps get rid of the sharp edge.  The Phlearn youtube channel has some good free tutorials about selections and masks as well.  Also the keyboard shortcuts for the tools are well worth learning.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave, there is no real quick and easy, one click way cutting out the background. I took advantage to the straight lines and used the polygon selection tool.  You can also set the selection to add to or remove from a previous selection to build up a bigger selection. That way you don't have to try to get it in one go (you can also save selections). Once you have the selection you can use the Refine Edge (or Select and Mask as it is now called) tool to feather or move the selection edge.  Just a bit of feather to soften the edge helps get rid of the sharp edge.  The Phlearn youtube channel has some good free tutorials about selections and masks as well.  Also the keyboard shortcuts for the tools are well worth learning.  

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Andrew

Thanks very much Andrew, I must have another play around with it.

My version of Photoshop is VERY old, but seems to do most of the things I need.  Maybe I need to update it

Cheers, Dave.

Thanks very much Andrew, I must have another play around with it.

My version of Photoshop is VERY old, but seems to do most of the things I need.  Maybe I need to update it

Cheers, Dave.

I suspect that, like most of us, you use the cut-down Photoshop Elements rather than the full-blown job. it may well be worth up-dating but there can be a steep learning curve to overcome if you do this after a long time using the older version. How do I know this.....?

Chaz

I find Photoshop (full versions I use at work) unnecessarily complicated for normal, everyday requirements - it has a lot of features aimed at professional usage. Elements would probably be more suited to hobby uses - we even use it for our students where I work.

For my own home use, I am using a very old version of Paint Shop Pro - it does everything I need so why upgrade it? As the expression goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"