Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

Thanks Simon, glad you like it :rolleyes:. It's just a paint effect. The ingots themselves are just blocks of styrene with the top centres 'routed' out with a burr in a minidrill leaving a raised rim. The centres of real ingots sink as the metal cools and contracts.

They're then painted with a white undercoat which is allowed to dry, followed by a coat of a bright yellow. It's nothing special, just something in a tester pot from B&Q, which is also allowed to dry. Next is a fluorescent orange by PlastiCote, I think I got that from Wilkinsons. I just paint an oval 'frame' on every face of the ingot leaving the centre of each face yellow. After that's dried for 30 minutes I then use a brush with some thinners on to blend the orange into

the yellow so that there is a gradation of colour from yellow in the centre to orange at the edges. When that's dried I use Humbrol gunmetal metalcote to just catch the very corners and tops and bottoms of the edges to replicate steel that's cooled beyond the glowing stage. The real ingots would still be near liquid in the centre at this point so

I'm trying to replicate the various intensities of temperature, colour and glow.

Thanks Arthur, that's a really good tip. It's quite an effect! :yes:

Thanks Arthur, that's a really good tip. It's quite an effect! :yes:

Having seen these in the flesh when I met Arthur down at Taunton I have to say they're even better in the flesh with real radiance to them. A stark contrast to Arthur's exceptionally good weathering on the wagons themselves..

• Like 1

With the commencement of the 1959 summer timetable on June 15th, the passenger services on the Munden branch were taken over by Cravens two car and Derby/Rolls Royce three car DMUs working turn and about into Hertford East on the branch from Broxbourne. One of the Cravens units leans into the curve while powering down Sacombe bank on an overcast, but warm and dry day at the end of the first week of service on the line.

post-6672-0-25642200-1308655884_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

Having seen these in the flesh when I met Arthur down at Taunton I have to say they're even better in the flesh with real radiance to them. A stark contrast to Arthur's exceptionally good weathering on the wagons themselves..

:blush: :) Thanks Andy!

68640 was allocated to Lowestoft in the early 50s, and exhibits the unkempt condition the species could almost always be found in. Unusually the loco has dropped brake pull rods, which should have only been fitted to shunting variants with a 1" greater crank throw on unbalanced wheels, but they were obviously the nearest set to hand when last shopped at Stratford. Most of the condensing equipment is long gone, leaving only the vent pipes and chambers on the tank tops. The shed plate is in the early 50s position and would be moved lower down the door at the next exam, the destination board brackets would probably be removed then too.

post-6672-0-89635500-1308855905_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

An old Weltrol MV stands in the truncated remains of the down main line

post-6737-0-12279300-1308781846_thumb.jpg

Very nice to see the old Hornby Dublo model. It just goes to show that the 1950s and 1960s stock CAN look good in the right place!;)

Also, a nice loco shed behind the old Collett Goods in the earlier photo.

• Like 1

Guest Tom F

Lovely picture cactustrain!

I really like the contrast between the crisp locos and the flowers.

Regards,

Stefan

I second that,

That's a lovely shot you have captured cactustrain, the lighting is very effective.

Would love to see more :)

Tom