Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Stubby, when you consider the size of the layout, that is an awesome shot!yes.gif

Terrific shot Stubby, a real sense of scale.

How on earth did you get the camera in there?

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks guys. :drinks:

The camera is a little point-n-shoot digital, from Tescos originally. a Technika SH-Z625. It's only 2" x 4", which allows me to get down to track level.

264297.jpg

This photo also confirms to me the whole concept of the layout, which was to give an impression of a small yard next to a large building.:D

• Like 2

A version of this postcard was on an earlier incarnation of RMWeb, but I thought it appropriate enough to regurgitate for this thread. 'Success' was based on an Agenoria Manning Wardle with a number of scratchbuilt elements. The Slater's vans were very early unredeemable efforts which now lie in disgrace in some cupboard, not even fit for making a tenner on ebay.

post-6672-0-36066000-1308046507_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Great to see someone else looking after an 82004 I have one (with still working smoke). I have just bought a new motor for it. The attached photo is obviously not a model but it shows what could be achieved on a layout when we photograph locos at events. This was at the 'Thomas' day on the GSWR 12 June 2011, The bus just happened to go over the bridge when I took the photo but it is evocative of some time in the 60s' especially when coverted to B&W and photoshopped a bit. I always look for inspiration when I go to events like this

The bus on the bridge makes it look a bit like a model layout! :D

Great to see someone else looking after an 82004 I have one (with still working smoke). I have just bought a new motor for it.

Hi.

I have a few Tri-ang 82004s all different, also the "French" loco on the same chassis.

I have had a go at some photo colour editing...

FS-road-side-posters-canopy-1-1.jpg

DCP02600-2.jpg

DCP02600-1.jpg

DCP02598-1.jpg

Regards

Sarah

• Like 2

I wonder what the star awards are actually for.:pleasantry:

I'm surmising which posts you're referring too and I agree on the loco side of it although there's some other decent elements in some of the pics.

It's probably an opportune time to note that this topic should be about realism of which there are some cracking examples on this very page.

Arthur, that last steelworks shot is amazing! How do you get the metal to look like it is glowing? :blink:

Thanks Simon, glad you like it :rolleyes:. It's just a paint effect. The ingots themselves are just blocks of styrene with the top centres 'routed' out with a burr in a minidrill leaving a raised rim. The centres of real ingots sink as the metal cools and contracts.

They're then painted with a white undercoat which is allowed to dry, followed by a coat of a bright yellow. It's nothing special, just something in a tester pot from B&Q, which is also allowed to dry. Next is a fluorescent orange by PlastiCote, I think I got that from Wilkinsons. I just paint an oval 'frame' on every face of the ingot leaving the centre of each face yellow. After that's dried for 30 minutes I then use a brush with some thinners on to blend the orange into

the yellow so that there is a gradation of colour from yellow in the centre to orange at the edges. When that's dried I use Humbrol gunmetal metalcote to just catch the very corners and tops and bottoms of the edges to replicate steel that's cooled beyond the glowing stage. The real ingots would still be near liquid in the centre at this point so

I'm trying to replicate the various intensities of temperature, colour and glow.

• Like 4