Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Killybegs said:

Buffer stop looks amazing Tim, but the brickwork could do with a bit of ageing!

I understand what you are saying, John. The photo was taken under very bright LED lighting, from a floor-standing 'flexible' lamp, which is not, of course, the layout's permanent lighting set-up.

I hadn't noticed how the black & white version seems to have 'bleached out' the weathering that I did apply to the retaining wall, prior to gluing it in place. The weathering is a bit more noticeable in the colour version, which is also at least twice normal size! Perhaps in future one or two broken bricks might be in order, but the time to undertake anything major has now passed.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I hadn't noticed how the black & white version seems to have 'bleached out' the weathering that I did apply to the retaining wall, prior to gluing it in place. The weathering is a bit more noticeable in the colour version, which is also at least twice normal size! Perhaps in future one or two broken bricks might be in order, but the time to undertake anything major has now passed.

Maybe just use colour photography? I've never really understood the desire for black and white.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, AndrueC said:

Maybe just use colour photography? I've never really understood the desire for black and white.

I think in some circumstances it can add atmosphere and help the illusion of a photo taken in the 'black & white' era. This doesn't work every time, though, I'd be the first to admit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2023 at 20:03, Captain Kernow said:

I think in some circumstances it can add atmosphere and help the illusion of a photo taken in the 'black & white' era. This doesn't work every time, though, I'd be the first to admit.

It is useful when you are intentionally playing with light and shade composition and repeat patterns, something fairly common in 'against the light' railway photography with tele lenses.  Gives a feeling of intenity and/or 'gritty urban reality', down and dirty.  But it doesn't quite work if you post-edit a colour shot into black and white, better to expose it in b&w mode if your camera has it.  You can't say O.Winston Link and Colin Gifford's stuff isn't good, done on b&w film of course and large format in LInk's case, very different approaches both highly skilled and creative.  One wonders what those boys would do with digital cameras!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2