Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Bespoke Etched Plates for Industrial Loco Use

Narrow Planet offer a bespoke nameplate service - I've never used them myself but others seem to rate them very highly.

Yes, I have used them and the service is good.  It's not an overnight service as you can understand, they prepare your artwork for the etches and then you wait for a slot in the etching process, but they explain all that when you contact them, or at least they did when I dealt with them last summer.

Recommended.  (I think the Austerities on Stoating Bank of this parish have NP plates, in fact!) http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/53438-stoating-bank/

I made my own as I couldn't find anyone to do exactly what I wanted.  It wasn't quick but I will do it again when I need some more.  I drew the artwork in black, then photographed it using a film camera.  Bought some etch mask and developer from Farnells.  Exposed a piece of brass and developed it in the sunlight.  Etched it and after several attempts I got 2 good number plates.  Working out the sums to make sure that the negative was exactly the same size as the finished number plate was probably the hardest part.  The rest was perseverance and dedication.

post-6743-0-40120600-1358443484.jpg

I'll let you work out which railway owned this loco.  The model is 4mm, so the number plate is only 4.4mm high.

I've used Narrow Planet too, nothing to add to what Chard has already said other than being another satisfied user.

I would agree with this, took the Bold Colliery route and renamed 2nr. Hornby austerities after my two offspring...

Need to get them weathered and then cleaned up to look like a pair that are much loved and well cared for. Might get the locos done too.

• 2 months later...

I made my own as I couldn't find anyone to do exactly what I wanted.  It wasn't quick but I will do it again when I need some more.  I drew the artwork in black, then photographed it using a film camera.  Bought some etch mask and developer from Farnells.  Exposed a piece of brass and developed it in the sunlight.  Etched it and after several attempts I got 2 good number plates.  Working out the sums to make sure that the negative was exactly the same size as the finished number plate was probably the hardest part.  The rest was perseverance and dedication.

attachicon.gifNo14 number plate2.jpg

I'll let you work out which railway owned this loco.  The model is 4mm, so the number plate is only 4.4mm high.

Alexandra (Newport) Docks & Railway Co by any chance?

Archived