Livery Photoshopping

med_gallery_6731_93_461247.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

Several attempts have been made to drop the required yellow panel, the early class 150/2s and the Heathrow Express class 332s being notable examples. What if modern headlights had been deemed sufficient and BR had managed to do away with the requirement?

Paul

med_gallery_6731_93_277182.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Gauteng Citizen, published under the Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

With alternatives to IEP currently under consideration, could a simpler 125mph EMU provide more affordable rolling stock for the electrified Great Western that are also more suitable for today's inter-urban services?

Can you provide a link to the original image please? I'm interested to see what the image is based on, maybe a Hull Trains 180 or one of the new Turbostars.

If that wasn't a Hull Trains 180 I'm amazed the dynamic lines are possible to Photoshop into existance, and would like to congratulate you on achiveing it. My own attempts with designing a First Great Western version of Alphaline livery have turned out rather poorly because of my inability to do such lines but I'll present the several designs I have done. Base image is the same as before.

I started simple, with a very basic pair of blue-white-pink bands:

post-7703-080734900 1284331011_thumb.jpg

The next version, 'Subtle Lines' is a single, taller, blue-white-pink band with blur:

post-7703-058686300 1284331050_thumb.jpg

I was lazy and only did rest of the liveries on the front coach, so 'Subtle Lines' is left on the other coach

The next two were done using some of the more interesting Photoshop brushes:

post-7703-044619700 1284331027_thumb.jpgpost-7703-048209000 1284331017_thumb.jpg

The next one I call 'Misty Hills Lines', it's hard to see but the hills should be made of a pink-white-blue band

post-7703-035553900 1284331022_thumb.jpg

Finally, two versions of a concept I call 'Town & Country Lines' (based on a mix of First Capitol Connect and my 'Misty Hills' concept):

post-7703-001521000 1284331056_thumb.jpgpost-7703-088498300 1284331060_thumb.jpg

I would be interestered to hear if anyone would have liked any of these Alphaline livery concepts had they been done well, and if so which they would like the best.

I believe the train that image is based on is an Electrostar derivative built by Bombardier at Derby for use in South Africa

Whilst we're on the First subject, here's an alternative to Barbie GBRf livery

post-6899-033772200 1284336542_thumb.jpg

Dynamic lines nicked from an HST. Hmm, I wonder how it'd work with the blue fade as per Trans Pennine Express...

cheers

jo

• Like 2

Rhydgaled, the FGW EMU is based on this image http://en.wikipedia....t-retouched.JPG of the South African Gautrain, built by Bombardier and basically a member of the UK Electrostar family. On which subject, it puzzles me slightly that the South Africans' chose to build a completely new railway to the UK loading gauge, constraining potential capacity and choice of rolling stock compared with if they had used larger clearances.

Here's a few more trains without the familiar yellow warning panels:

med_gallery_6731_93_375239.jpg

Based on a photo by Les Chatfield. Modified image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray. The early class 150/2s had no yellow panel except on the front connecting door when first introduced. What if Regional Railways had gone further with the class 158 and done away with it altogether?

med_gallery_6731_93_72150.jpg

Based on a photo by Phil Sangwell. Modified Image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

The flagship Intercity 125 was already unconventional in having no front buffers and not carrying a separate tail lamp, but what would the classic yellow front have looked like if BR had pushed the boundaries even more?

Paul

I have to admit, it's not my idea, I'd thought getting rid of the yellow on such an iconic livery would never work. Thanks must go to LE Greys for suggesting a rail grey lower body to create a true blue on grey zig-zag.

med_gallery_6731_93_204752.jpg

Based on a photo by FreeFotoUK. Modified image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

Without the statutory yellow warning panel, EWS could have used the same front end design as its parent company Wisconsin Central.

Paul

• Like 1

Without the statutory yellow warning panel, EWS could have used the same front end design as its parent company Wisconsin Central.

Looks like there's still quite an area of yellow on the front ends, I'm wondering perhaps it would be allowed. I think that design looks good on the 37s, not so sure about the 66 though.

Oh, and thanks for posting the original for the FGW 125mph Electrostar image.

4977733312_73cc0c886f_m.jpg

4976371519_8b0f19c4b0_m.jpg

This image created by Paul Burkitt-Gray is based on a photo by Phil Scott distributed under the GNU free documentation license, and as such is released under the same license.

A couple of different versions of the yellowless networker, looking at design features which could have been used on the front end without the need for a yellow panel.

Paul

A lot of mainland Europe get's away without any form of yellow end and rund some trains faster than us so perhaps it's just UK legislation.

The EWS 37 looks good - probably enough yellow as haven't some been painted green with SYE (37403) ?

South Africa use 3'6" gauge track so having bodies built to UK loading gauge is probably about right. Just look at the size of the 25NC (Janice) @ Quainton Road and compare against UK stock. Must get out my SAR dining car book for the dimensions as a comparison to say MkI's. New Zealand have exBR MkII's on 3'6" gauge. The 1m gauge stock in India looks similar sized to UK.

med_gallery_6731_93_360094.jpg

Copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

EWS's parent company Wisconsin Central was purchased by Canadian National in 2001. However, they never transferred their branding across the Atlantic, instead selling the UK freight operator to German state railway DB.

Paul

• Like 2

Nice, although i'm not sure EWS works that well written in CN's "noodle" font - maybe it needs rebranding as CN-Europe or something.

800px-Cn7402.JPG

Photo released into the public domain

Something like this, the CN North America logo. maybe?

med_gallery_6731_93_133038.jpg

Based on a photograph released by its author into the public domain. Modified image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

How would NSE's class 321s have looked in the Networker-style livery?

Paul

4976371519_8b0f19c4b0_m.jpg

A couple of different versions of the yellowless networker, looking at design features which could have been used on the front end without the need for a yellow panel.

Paul

Maybe like that one but with the edge of the black panel coming round the corner to line up with the red? (still with a white line between red & black though).

med_gallery_6731_93_147454.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt Gray based on a photograph by Cross Houses, published under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.Siemens wanted to bid for the Networker contract, but was put off when BR refused to allow them to test a prototype bogie on a class 455. Had they persevered, the German manufacturer might have entered the UK rolling stock market nearly a decade earlier than it eventually did with the Heathrow Express class 332s.

Paul

• Like 1

med_gallery_6731_93_311939.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photograph by Jan Derk, published under Creative Commons Attribution License.

South West Trains' first livery, while very similar in appearance to Network SouthEast, still required trains to be completely repainted. How would it have looked applied to their new Siemens Desiros?

Paul

Some interesting work there. I'm not at all keen on liveries without yellow ends, foreign stuff looks strange enough to me, let alone seeing British stuff without it! I do like the CN inspired 66 though!

Here's a few I've done lately

post-6899-003008900 1285708258_thumb.jpg

Yet another on the theme of the US freight companies, what if CSX had bought the ex BR freight sectors? I'm still not sure whether this works well or not at all!

post-6899-090532900 1285708326_thumb.jpg

Here's the vision that was going through my mind when it first came out that a silver 60 was being done for Tata, yep, it's just the Corus livery with Tata logos:P

post-6899-010539600 1285708286_thumb.jpg

60015 is rumoured to soon be appearing in red, with more to follow if the whispers are to be believed. A preview?

post-6899-013981600 1285708310_thumb.jpg

What with Corus/Tata/BSC, Stobart, Bardon and several others getting customer liveried locos, what if EWS did one for long term customer Murco?

cheers

jo

• Like 2

Some interesting work there. I'm not at all keen on liveries without yellow ends, foreign stuff looks strange enough to me, let alone seeing British stuff without it! I do like the CN inspired 66 though!

Here's a few I've done lately

post-6899-003008900 1285708258_thumb.jpg

Yet another on the theme of the US freight companies, what if CSX had bought the ex BR freight sectors? I'm still not sure whether this works well or not at all!

cheers

jo

Hi Jo,

Very nice and probably correct in 1997(?) but that is YN2 (Yellow Nose 2!!).

How about a version in YN3? Like this;

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=330957&nseq=22

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

Are there any examples of a Voyager 220/221 in Blue/Grey anywhere? I'm not proficient enough with the graphics programs to undertake my own attempt at ficticious liveries, but I fancy actually painting a Voyager model in Blue/Grey :O

• 1 month later...

med_gallery_6731_93_106437.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Oxyman, published under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

Rather than scrap the recently refurbished D78 stock in 2015, when it could have another decade and a half of life in it, why not send it to Southern? They could provide ten car trains on South London metro services and allow the 377s to be used on longer distance services.

Paul

med_gallery_6731_93_106437.jpg

Image by Paul Burkitt-Gray, based on a photo by Oxyman, published under Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike License.

Rather than scrap the recently refurbished D78 stock in 2015, when it could have another decade and a half of life in it, why not send it to Southern? They could provide ten car trains on South London metro services and allow the 377s to be used on longer distance services.

Paul

Hi,

Wouldn't like to be on that at 60mph! :unsure:

One thing, where's the high-intensity Headlight? :P

Simon

Rhydgaled, the FGW EMU is based on this image http://en.wikipedia....t-retouched.JPG of the South African Gautrain, built by Bombardier and basically a member of the UK Electrostar family. On which subject, it puzzles me slightly that the South Africans' chose to build a completely new railway to the UK loading gauge, constraining potential capacity and choice of rolling stock compared with if they had used larger clearances.

Here's a few more trains without the familiar yellow warning panels:

med_gallery_6731_93_375239.jpg

Based on a photo by Les Chatfield. Modified image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray. The early class 150/2s had no yellow panel except on the front connecting door when first introduced. What if Regional Railways had gone further with the class 158 and done away with it altogether?

med_gallery_6731_93_72150.jpg

Based on a photo by Phil Sangwell. Modified Image copyright Paul Burkitt-Gray.

The flagship Intercity 125 was already unconventional in having no front buffers and not carrying a separate tail lamp, but what would the classic yellow front have looked like if BR had pushed the boundaries even more?

Paul

This looks really smart lmsforever

• 2 weeks later...

:clapping_mini: Hello world!:clapping_mini:

Nice rage of stuff here, from hideous to beatiful but you all seem very good at image maniplutlation.

for all it's worth, here're two of mine:

a 365 in whiskers post-10380-016888900 1291145942_thumb.jpeg

and with out a yellow end post-10380-050400200 1291146576_thumb.jpeg

and a very odd A4ish thing in LMS crimson!

post-10380-022784100 1291145927_thumb.jpeg

(improvement subject to free time)