Pre-BR stock still around?

JCL

• RMweb Gold

Hi all

I had a search of RMWeb to see if this has been asked before, but couldn't find anything. I was looking at Paul Bartlett's great website it seems that a some old stock from pre-BR days was used into the 1980s in departmental trains. I would imagine not, but looking at the photos led me to wondering if there is any pre-BR designed stock left at all that is in use today on the network.

cheers

Jason

Not as far as I am aware. The last use of pre-nationalistion stock I know of was the fissons weedkiller train which made it into the 90s. A couple of the vehicles were GWR BGs of 30s and 40s vintage.

If anyone knows of any later survivors then give a shout! :)

The last Grouping stock in passenger service was the Bullied Waterloo and City stock which lasted until 1992, still with "SOUTHERN" above the end ventilators...

The last pre BR stock in service on the national network is of course the '38 stock on the Isle of Wight, and Sarah Siddons on LUL (technically a pregrouping loco in revenue stock) 

There is - some of the 1938 tube stock was LNER owned http://www.lner.info/locos/Electric/tube.shtml

The last passenger carrying mainline hauled stock was, I think, 2 Gresley buffet cars which just about made it into my first 1977 carriage stock book (along with 4 Subs, 502s,503s,504s W&C units and lots of non passenger carrying stuff).

• RMweb Premium

There was a former crane runner ADE901720 that had been converted into a tunnel ventilation unit that was still in service in 2010 - TOPS coded ZSB

Previously discussed here

EDIT - a quick google search and it looks like it was deleted from stock in January 2011

Cheers,

Mick

For the record the class 306 EMUs were an LNER design, at least in their 1500V DC form and with one still around as a heritage unit, they qualify. However though designed and ordered by the LNER they were not introduced into service until September 1949 , so they were a BR introduced type  

Archived