Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

Very good.

Who makes the 94xx

It's a spring side kit, they make in to a very nice model, very heavy as it's white metal although a little expensive now.

It's a big loco when compared to the 57 pannier.

I need one for RB

• Like 2

Tempted myself. There would be a brace of 94's for RB then.

And I need one for Cwm Bach. We chewed over the 94XX at Ixion, but couldn't convince ourselves there was sufficient demand because it was mostly a BR period pannier with more limited interest. I'm open to be convinced to the contrary. 

• Like 1

Chris

I think you might be surprised, the BR steam / Diesel period has to be the most popular period for 7mm modellers

I'd be interested in at least 1 maybe 2

Ian Wales don't forget to register your interest in the 15XX from MOK we've got to make that one happen as well.

Edited by steve fay

Well this is a bitter sweet moment, This is the last picture il be posting of Canton under my ownership.

This project was always going to be a short term project as Ranelagh bridge is my long term goal.

I wanted to prove YOU can effectively model a real location in a small space.

Yesterday was a great show and hopefully the start of a regular event in the 7mm calendar. I met some great people yesterday many ex railway man and spotters alike & we had some great comments and it brought back memories for guys well aquatinted with the real location.

I had some pictures up either side of the layout both real & model and more than one was fooled by the model pictures,

here it is,post-5983-0-41678100-1397403533_thumb.jpg

A friends 57 pannier on shed pilot duties.

So that's it I started this project in February 2013 with this,post-5983-0-24264000-1397403649_thumb.jpg and an invitation to a show and finished it with another show.

I hope you have all enjoyed following it as much as I've enjoyed building it.

Thanks all

Steve

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 11

Just found this topic. Superb pictures, what are your plans with the layout? What kits do you use for your engines, the 94xx looks superb as does yoyr 47xx. Also what are the kits like to put togethe?

Once again very impressive locos and pictures

scott

Just found this topic. Superb pictures, what are your plans with the layout? What kits do you use for your engines, the 94xx looks superb as does yoyr 47xx. Also what are the kits like to put togethe?

Once again very impressive locos and pictures

scott

The layout has now been sold, the 94 belongs to a friend and Is a spring side kit. The 47 belongs to another friend and was built from a Martin Finney kit.

• RMweb Premium

Steve, I've really enjoyed following Cardiff Canton.  A great layout. Great locos.  All the best, now, with Ranelagh Bridge.

Polly

Hi Scott,

No I don't build locos, I have two castles and a king all jltrt kits built by Ozzyo he has a build thread in the kit building section, I have a DJH Brittania that was built by them.

I also have a Heljan Hymek & western both have been detailed the Hymek the most using cast parts from jltrt and etches from Pete Harvey.

I have another thread running in the modelling real locations section about my next project Ranelagh Bridge, there's plenty of pictures of all my locos there including the full detailing of both the western and Hymek.

Cheers

post-5983-0-13619400-1397550130.jpg

Going through all my pictures of Canton recently and I thought I would leave you all with this one, a very quiet scene late September 62 with just a mineral wagon on shed. Cantons locos had been transferred to East Dock and conversion into a diesel depot would commence shortly.

• Like 7

Hi Steve

Many thanks for sharing Cardiff Canton with us, I have really enjoyed following this from day 1, you created an outstanding Layout in a minimal space, an Inspiration to all - Will we be seeing Canton again in the hands of the new owner ?.

Cheers.

Bob.

• Like 1

Hi Steve

Many thanks for sharing Cardiff Canton with us, I have really enjoyed following this from day 1, you created an outstanding Layout in a minimal space, an Inspiration to all - Will we be seeing Canton again in the hands of the new owner ?.

Cheers.

Bob.

Yes hopefully Canton will be attending a show with its new owner in November ( if I can I will try and get there as well )

Details of which I will post up shortly.

• Like 1

Although I never saw the real Canton in the steam era
That footbridge is just so evocative

I spent many an hour in my youth, on that bridge, watching 08's, 37's, 47's and Westerns
Although this layout is small - it did bring back some of those memories..... thanks for that Steve

Again, I just wanted to say, you demonstrated that you can achieve atmosphere in O gauge in a relatively small area
and include a wealth of interesting detail for the eye to wander around
.... wish I'd bought the layout now ;)

Edited by marc smith

Thanks Marc,

I like you never seen Canton in steam days, John hodge's South Wales main line Cardiff edition was my main inspiration and speaking to a few ex railway men and spotters alike it seems that we achieved our goal.

Now the coaling stage and the remaining part of the foot bridge have disappeared there's not a lot of distinctive features left.

I hope if any thing this project has proved you can recreate a real location in a small space.post-5983-0-98367000-1398161670_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-80660600-1398161941.jpgpost-5983-0-06404800-1398162000_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-30583700-1398162109_thumb.jpgpost-5983-0-48379800-1398162155.jpg

I see pictures like this and all recognisable places and all could be done in a small space.

You never no I might even tackle one my self in the future.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 6

Great inspirational photos above Steve
Yes, I've long been a fan of small layouts
If and when they're done well, they can capture atmosphere and a sense of time and place
as well as many larger layouts

My own small layouts are usually set in fictional locations, or based on a real place....
I usually start the design process with a real location in mind - and borrow features from real locations 

Atmosphere needn't be bound by the size you have available to model in
In fact, sometimes, I think if you have less space - it focuses your approach more....

PS. The removal of the footbridge at Canton has been like a part of my youth being torn away
Who could have known, back in the 70's & 80's I, like so many other enthusiasts were actually becoming attached to that bridge?
Back then, we dared not step off the bridge, for fear of a big telling off, or a thick ear!
Some friendly members of staff used to let us peek into the shed - to see what was there
but they did so only when the foreman was out of sight....

Ah, memories :)

Edited by marc smith
  • Like 1

Great inspirational photos above Steve

Yes, I've long been a fan of small layouts

If and when they're done well, they can capture atmosphere and a sense of time and place

as well as many larger layouts

My own small layouts are usually set in fictional locations, or based on a real place....

I usually start the design process with a real location in mind - and borrow features from real locations 

Atmosphere needn't be bound by the size you have available to model in

In fact, sometimes, I think if you have less space - it focuses your approach more....

PS. The removal of the footbridge at Canton has been like a part of my youth being torn away

Who could have known, back in the 70's & 80's I, like so many other enthusiasts were actually becoming attached to that bridge?

Back then, we dared not step off the bridge, for fear of a big telling off, or a thick ear!

Some friendly members of staff used to let us peek into the shed - to see what was there

but they did so only when the foreman was out of sight....

Ah, memories :)

Reminds me of when they closed the platforms at the St James Bridge in Doncaster. The walkway leading down to them was a mecca for spotters, and we felt bereft when it all went.

The platforms were only used for race specials in my youth, so I suppose they were always going to close. Can't even see where they were now.

• Like 1