Cardiff Canton, The second coming

steve fay

I can't get over how good this layout looks. It's a perfect representation of steam sheds as I remember them. Except there are no snotty schoolboys hanging about yet, complete with duffle bags and notebooks.

• Like 1

5099 is now chipped up ready for the show.

I've just ordered some plastic I beams and cross braces, I will hopefully have the skeleton of the iconic footbridge ready for the first show.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 2

OK chaps I would like your opinions, a while ago I said I was intending to coat the pit sides in a concrete finishpost-5983-0-13404100-1368121875_thumb.jpg

I'm thinking of using Concrete wall No 2 from the above range. I can't decide whether it would be to much of a contrast or whether to just weather the sides with more black powders.

What do you think?

OK chaps I would like your opinions, a while ago I said I was intending to coat the pit sides in a concrete finishattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm thinking of using Concrete wall No 2 from the above range. I can't decide whether it would be to much of a contrast or whether to just weather the sides with more black powders.

What do you think?

Great work, Steve. I'm planning to start a (small) O Gauge layout with an (even smaller) diorama. So I'm watching this with interest.

Regarding your current dilema, I'd go for Concrete Wall No 2 toned down with black weathering powder.

• Like 4

This is the inspiration, the back of the shed,

post-5983-0-10737100-1368174806_thumb.jpg

The turn table wouldn't be correct but it seems a shame after all the hard work Ozzy put in not to use it, When I'm ready to start on Ranelagh I can just remove the table and possibly the base as I've done before.

• Like 3

No rebuilding mate, your OK there. I've been thinking about doing a 'back of the shed' for a while. the fiddle yard would have been 2foot so extending it to a scenic section 6 foot long will only extend the layout from 10 to 14 foot with one cassette fed fiddle yard.

I do like the complete contrast of the two sections, The seeming over grown dereliction of the back end to the grot and grime of the front. It should be a good challenge. The sidings around the back where used for boiler wash outs and visiting locos were stored around there. The turn table will be a Nice centre piece on the new board. Don't expect anything to soon but I might have the board assembled in the not too distant future.

Edited today, I've replaced the top valance again! Even after a week you could still physically move the paint. Ive come across some crappy paint but this stuff is really bad. I've got a decorating job on next week so hopefully il have some magnolia emulsion left over to give the valance a coat. I've just framed up the fiddle yard board so this should see a coat of chocolate tomorrow on the face.

Still waiting for my bridge plastic I beams and L angle, probably Tuesday now.

Cadw ar fodelu.

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I love the photo of the turntable/back of the shed.  So evocative.

It brings the photos and track diagram in Lyons' 1947 book on GWR engine sheds so much more to life.  In colour too! We're spoilt!

Seeing those two guys on the turntable made me think it must have been quite disheartening working with locos in that state and to think so many of us want to model it!

Your shed is coming along nicely.

Looking forward to seeing it develop.

Polly

• Like 1